I started reading some of the threads that talked about the Cobalt software / firmware. I am still a bit unclear on how it does it but I got the impression that it somehow convinces the Google play store that your BB10 device is an allowed android device? I'm trying to figure out a few important things on a critically short time-frame.
    My wife ordered a Priv because she needs to use an app that'd let her access files at work from her cell instead of going back to her desktop every time. But she's shocked to see just HOW intrusive Google and every app wants to be so she's never even put a SIM card in it yet. The return window is nearly over if she's going to send it back.

I have 2 different questions. 1st is related to using the apps after the fact. Am I correct in figuring that any app she gets from the Google play store is likely to want blanket permissions or else it will refuse to open or install like the ones from the Amazon App store? (back when it still worked?)

IS there any way to get them to run without giving access to things that they have no legitimate need for? Such as a flashlight app that wants GPS and contacts, or a calculator that wants those plus more, etc?

The other question is regarding the two programs. I saw that there's a thread about Cobalt but hadn't really looked into it yet to see how easy it was for a novice like my wife to learn (or myself! ). Then today I saw a post saying that another user uses something called snap to get the apps.

I don't need a huge number of apps, I might get an airline app or the storm tracking app from our local rural TV station and consumer reports. She just needs to be able to use a few medical records apps for work. Would Cobalt or snap be easier to learn? Prior to BlackBerry I used Palm Treos, 1st their OS and then Windows mobile 6.5 so I have little experience with android beyond using a cheap android "go-phone" on vacation last year.

I'm hoping that it's easy enough to learn that I can convince her to just get a Z30 like our son has instead of constantly fighting to maintain her privacy and avoid violating HIPAA laws with the android! On the priv board people say that BlackBerry is going so far as to tell users to fully embrace the full spectrum of Google products, which confuses the bleep out of me! What's the point of getting a slightly more secure device if you wind up giving away all of your information to Google plus every company that you get an app from? Other than the device itself not being quite as vulnerable to attack, what do you gain? Or did I miss something? Sorry for drifting away from my original questions, just figured I'd throw that out there as well since I've found that the users here are a great resource for information! Thanks in advance!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    05-13-16 08:10 AM
    Android apps require all or nothing in terms of permissions. However, with the recent Marshmallow OS, you DO have access to individual permissions, but there is no guarantee that the app will continue to function properly if you disable some of those permissions.

Snap is no longer being developed, and you can't sign in anymore with a new account. You pretty much have to stick to Cobalt's modified Google Play Store. There are three files to install, and it's pretty straight forward.

One caveat is that many apps these days require the use of Google Play Services in order to work. Cobalt has come up with some work arounds for this, but it is a bit challenging for the novice.

I might also add that BB10 is forever stuck with a fairly old version of the Android Runtime, so many newer apps may not be available.
    05-13-16 08:21 AM
    SNAP is pretty much history now... most new users are not able to login. Cobalts solution works great for now... but it is far from easy.

BB10 is a dying platform, BlackBerry isn't updating key apps like the browser in a timely manner - not even sure if it will get any security updates. Can use 3rd party browsers... but who checks their security?

HIPPA... there are guidelines to follow. Best solution for her and using the PRIV, if she is in private practice look at Cloud BES to keep all of her work related communications private - within a Google for Work container, and thus separate from the apps and personal info on her devcies.

But to be honest, most every medical professional I see has a iDevice... I expect that there are probably many more apps that are designed to meet HIPPA guidelines. Maybe checking around with collages and finding out who they have doing their IT support and helping them meet HIPPA guidelines might be easier than trying to make a BlackBerry work.
    05-13-16 08:46 AM
    SNAP is pretty much history now... most new users are not able to login. Cobalts solution works great for now... but it is far from easy.

BB10 is a dying platform, BlackBerry isn't updating key apps like the browser in a timely manner - not even sure if it will get any security updates. Can use 3rd party browsers... but who checks their security?

HIPPA... there are guidelines to follow. Best solution for her and using the PRIV, if she is in private practice look at Cloud BES to keep all of her work related communications private - within a Google for Work container, and thus separate from the apps and personal info on her devcies.

But to be honest, most every medical professional I see has a iDevice... I expect that there are probably many more apps that are designed to meet HIPPA guidelines. Maybe checking around with collages and finding out who they have doing their IT support and helping them meet HIPPA guidelines might be easier than trying to make a BlackBerry work.
    Dunt, some of that would be useful advice if the practice she's in bothered to keep abreast of things like that! Unfortunately, the few IT people barely manage to keep the laptops able to connect to the (required by Obamacare) electronic medical records actually able to DO so! So they just tell the staff to get certain apps from IOS or android but I seriously doubt that they know what BES is, much less how to create a Google for work container. Plus it seems like Google would still want to data mine everything in it anyway, as would Apple. If it wasn't for her convenience of using the app to connect, sticking to BB10 would still be by far the most secure option. Nothing would access her contacts or calendar but HER BlackBerry and her PC, so browser updates etc are kind of a moot point.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    05-13-16 09:24 AM
    Tl;dr

Posted via .........
    05-14-16 06:17 AM
    Cobalt and snap are hacked programs if your wife needs security I wouldn't mess with either of them or even genuine google

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:33 AM
    You can get a z10 and 30 at a great price I did and it works great I'll never buy Ios or Android agaun

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:34 AM
    I shouldn't say hacked they're emulated programs

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:36 AM
    I believe they're made to act like and fool Google play

Posted via CB10
    05-15-16 11:37 AM