Hi CB,

I don't know if this issue has been raised but I'm going to post this anyways :

For those who have successfully installed any Android app that relies on Contact Numbers (E.g. Viber, WhatsApp), you would have noticed two things :

1. The Contacts that the Android app sees is very different from that of the Native Contacts App. E.g. if there are 100 in the Native, you see only 20 or 30 in the Android version. It appears that the Android player has it's own "copy" of the Contacts you have and is left unpopulated by default.

2. Over time, the Android contacts seemed to lessen. One day if you'll use an app that relies on such, you'd wonder where the contact go (esp. on Viber this is more apparent).

Since you cannot directly add accounts to the Android Accounts App (even via Ghost Commander), I decided to look for app that can Sync CardDav contacts but also has the option to remove Client to Server syncing (meaning if you deleted an entry on your Android contacts, it won't sync to the Server and mess up your "official" Contact list).

Here I found two apps as workaround for the Contacts issue I have :

1. CardDav Sync Free Beta - this app allows to sync any CardDav contacts to your phone. You can enable Android's headless permission (though not needed http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-skype-893927/ )
    but I just use this to pull contacts from my Google Mail
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dav.sync&hl=en

2. Contacts Optimizer - this is basically a contacts manager app.Similar to Max Contact Manager, Contact X for the Native side, this allows you to manage your Android Contacts. You can merge, delete, etc.. the Android Contacts app, even delete the stock one and replace it with the Account you'll sync from above.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ptimizer&hl=en

Basically you have to install #1. and set up your CardDav account. Then configure it in such a way it only does One-Way sync (it is enabled by default). Then install #2 and remove the stock Contacts account and replace it with the one you just Sync'ed. By the time you done step 1, you should have seen two accounts on the Android Player.

After doing these steps, you should see such apps work properly and seeing the rest of your contacts.

EDIT : Few Caveats :

1 . Android being Android, be mindful of the Apps you install. This is probably a deliberate design by Blackberry to prevent Malware from stealing your contacts list.

2. You can set the Sync Interval but I guess even just once a day will suffice, depending on the frequency you update your Contacts.

3. I installed both apps without the need for the Headless Permission fix.
    Hope this helps
    02-16-14 07:13 PM
    1. The Contacts that the Android app sees is very different from that of the Native Contacts App. E.g. if there are 100 in the Native, you see only 20 or 30 in the Android version. It appears that the Android player has it's own "copy" of the Contacts you have and is left unpopulated by default.

Are you sure that your Android apps are not just reading "SIM contacts" and not the regular native BB10 contacts? You can turn that feature off in the settings for the BB10 Contacts app.

You can check which contacts source a particular contact is stored in by clicking the "Links" button at the bottom of a contact in view mode.
    02-16-14 08:09 PM
    I don't enable my SIM card and I always keep my Local Contacts Empty.

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.1925 | Globe PH
    02-16-14 08:27 PM
    I don't enable my SIM card and I always keep my Local Contacts Empty.

Well it's curious where those are being accessed from. I assume you sync contacts with various online services? Facebook? Yahoo? Gmail?
    02-16-14 09:47 PM
    Well it's curious where those are being accessed from. I assume you sync contacts with various online services? Facebook? Yahoo? Gmail?
    My main contacts is from Google Mail. I haven't tried FB though.

Z30 | Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141 | Globe PH
    02-16-14 10:03 PM
    My main contacts is from Google Mail. I haven't tried FB though.

Well that could be interesting, perhaps you are basically just populating your Google contacts then.

I've never bothered with Android apps that use BB10 contacts. I have a few on my "experimental" device but never bothered with those features.

So I tried just now 2 Android apps that ask for "Contacts" permissions: Skype and AquaMail. I just created one contact with an email address for testing. (Bear in mind I don't use contact sync on any of my devices - too buggy and unpredictable.)

Aquamail definitely finds that local contact when composing an email.

Skype on the other hand, is supposed to sync all your Skype contacts to the local address book but I see no evidence it does on mine. (I only have one Skype contact)

I should probably do more testing.
    02-17-14 02:20 AM
    Why doesn't the native carddav (Account) work?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 05:38 AM
    Why doesn't the native carddav (Account) work?

Posted via CB10
    I think from what I can see, Blackberry divided the Contacts into two parts, the Native one (that you normally see) and the Android one (which requires some tweaking to see). All Android apps normally have no access over the Native contacts so in order to make up for it, they implemented a version of the Contacts that is exclusively for the Android runtime.

The problem here is by design (or some other reason), Blackberry didn't copy all contacts in the Native to the Android Contacts app. This probably is their measure of preventing a virus or a rouge app to access contacts information. This isn't really much of an issue... until you start using Android apps that uses phone numbers as contacts (e.g. Viber or WhatsApp). In which you'd see either empty contacts or a fewer set of contacts.

This guide helps to some degree download contacts from a CardDav source (e.g. Google Mail) to the Android Contacts app. By doing this, you'd let those apps that relies on phone numbers work properly. Unfortunately, you have to be more responsible in installing Android apps as you are now vulnerable to contacts theft.

So if you don't plan to use any sideloaded Android app that requires contacts, do not do this at all
    02-17-14 06:55 AM