OK I have posted this in the Android app section of the forums but it hasn't getten any kind of response in a week. So decided to try another forum.

Has anyone had any success with any version of this app on BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 08:14 PM
    Why make two posts no one will reply to?

In Squircle I Trust
    08-17-15 12:20 AM
    You replied. GG

But also because I can't be the only member of this forum that has updated to the next Gen car audio. And being that MOST big companies are not giving FULL support to BlackBerry but they are apple and Android, I want to be sure there isn't some way to make use of every function of my newly installed 900$ head unit. Thanks for not contributing something useful. The silence of a dead thread would have been better received.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by JoBudden; 08-17-15 at 01:17 AM.
    AdamThatsIt and Karan Mohal like this.
    08-17-15 01:07 AM
    I think the current rule of thumb is, if it's a Google android app, we can't run it due to google play services

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    08-17-15 09:17 AM
    I think the current rule of thumb is, if it's a Google android app, we can't run it due to google play services

Posted via CB with my Passport to productivity
    I mean we have play store
    We have patched apps that require Google services.
    My issue is I can't find an apk that will load period.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 01:37 PM
    I believe we can only patch Google api v1.0
    I don't think we can patch api v2.0.

Some apk's are coded for both, in which case patching works. The apk's coded only for api v2.0 can't be patched and won't work.

Take Google Maps for example. Well the Google navigation functionality to be specific.
    GoogleMaps 1.6.14.04.2 was the last version that supported both. Therefore, if you patched that version, Google navigation works (I have the patched apk so I know it works).
    But any newer version of Google maps was strictly on api 2.0 and I haven't been able to patch any of the newer ones.

To clarify, I know that newer Google Maps apks work, but I was strictly talking about the turn-by-turn directions functionality. I have it working in my 1.6.14.04.2 version, but am not aware of any newer apks that have it working.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 04:50 PM
    So I found the apk (you can search for any apk online, in this case search: android auto apk), unfortunately it doesn't install. Maybe it's because I'm using a Classic? Idk.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    08-17-15 06:29 PM
    Has nothing to do with device.

Some apk can't be patched (as I described above) despite the patcher saying it patched it successfully.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 09:31 PM
    Has nothing to do with device.

Some apk can't be patched (as I described above) despite the patcher saying it patched it successfully.

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't talking about patching. The apk itself doesn't load on the Classic. It may or may not on a different device.

BBClassic10.3.2.2252
    08-17-15 09:36 PM
    Android Auto requires Lollipop (5.0). The runtime is 4.3 . If BB decides to update the runtime they will hopefully include all the new instruction sets that Android Auto introduced, only then will it have a chance at working.
    08-17-15 09:56 PM
    I never had any issues running Toyota's Entune app on my BlackBerry's. BBOS or BB10. It wasn't available beyond OS 6, iPhone and Android. Depends on the app I would presume, whether it plays nicely, somewhat, or not at all. I'd suggest you test drive the headunits in the store, and find one you can use to make level you find satisfactory.
    08-17-15 10:53 PM
    Android Auto requires Lollipop (5.0). The runtime is 4.3 . If BB decides to update the runtime they will hopefully include all the new instruction sets that Android Auto introduced, only then will it have a chance at working.
    I was impress with how "new" the runtime was in BB10 when it launched.... but now BB10 is starting to feel more and more like the PlayBook OS did.

I know very little about coding or what Google puts out as part of their open source packages, but it seems a little strange for us to go so long without and upgrade. Unless there is something limiting us to 4.3
    08-18-15 07:41 AM
    To clarify, I know that newer Google Maps apks work, but I was strictly talking about the turn-by-turn directions functionality. I have it working in my 1.6.14.04.2 version, but am not aware of any newer apks that have it working.

Posted via CB10
    All features of Google Maps work perfectly including turn by turn and sign-in. I'm currently using v9.12.1.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    08-18-15 08:19 AM
    All features of Google Maps work perfectly including turn by turn and sign-in. I'm currently using v9.12.1.

Care to share the patched apk?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 08:57 AM
    Care to share the patched apk?

Posted via CB10
    I just use GMaps Patcher. Nothing special.

08-18-15 09:11 AM
    The reason some apps work and some don't is because some apps really only "check" for Google Play Services, and if present (or if patched not to check), then the app will work. But some apps, and many newer APIs such as Android Auto and Android Wear actually USE Google Play Services, and as pointed out, some also require higher Android APIs than BB10's runtime supports.

BB10's Android runtime is back at Level 18, while Android Auto requires at least level 21.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

But even Level 21 by itself won't be enough without Google Play Services.
    08-18-15 05:20 PM