Why don't they make one so the non-technical folk can get Instagram and Netflix and all other "missing" apps? Since they've licensed Android runtime on BB10 why not officially promote it with the caveat that nothing is guaranteed to work.

At least it will make it easier to get the apps you want that aren't native. Ppl will catch on.

Fired from my Z10
    Last edited by VR6; 10-21-13 at 10:47 AM.
    potatoguy likes this.
    10-19-13 01:39 PM
    There are a number of ways to sideload apps that aren't too difficult if you don't mind fiddling with your phone. But I hear what you are saying...something easy and foolproof would let more people take advantage of Android apps.
    10-19-13 01:44 PM
    +1000

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    10-19-13 01:47 PM
    I think they mentioned a bit ago that they were working on an app like this
    10-19-13 01:51 PM
    I'm fine for side loading but most ppl aren't. If Android runtime is in BB10 for the reason to run Android apps, why not make it official?

Have an Android section in BBW and allow direct downloading and installing OTA for confirmed working apps. None of this needing a PC BS.

Fired from my Z10
    10-19-13 02:42 PM
    I think they mentioned a bit ago that they were working on an app like this
    Really? I never heard that. Link?

Fired from my Z10
    10-19-13 02:43 PM
    +1 also. A major selling point

Posted with my Z30
    10-19-13 02:47 PM
    Not going to happen. Sideloading is a feature meant for devs, not consumers.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur, smartbuddy and redsaph like this.
    10-19-13 02:47 PM
    I think this is a good idea. Sure, sideloading was designed for developers, but they aren't the only demographic who use it. BlackBerry is synonymous with business people, but that doesn't mean they should ignore all the other people who want a BlackBerry, right?

My two cents, take it for what it's worth
    10-19-13 03:00 PM
    Doing this would harm developer relations. Developers see sideloading as a gateway to piracy; Alec Saunders has stated that there are already developers who refuse to work with BlackBerry until sideloading is disabled. Making it easier for consumers to use would make even more developers leave.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    rnhld, gfondeur and southlander like this.
    10-19-13 03:03 PM
    I still can't see how this will resolve the IG issue for example. A good android app already exists that can be ported over by IG if they prefer to do so, but thus far they have not.
    10-19-13 03:14 PM
    Personally I'm content the way it is since it promotes native apps in the BlackBerry World.

They could add sideload support to Link and BlackBerry World if they wanted to.

I just wish the ported apps allowed for permissions modifications.

1791 hybrid w/10.2.1 bars
    10-19-13 03:15 PM
    Doing this would harm developer relations. Developers see sideloading as a gateway to piracy; Alec Saunders has stated that there are already developers who refuse to work with BlackBerry until sideloading is disabled. Making it easier for consumers to use would make even more developers leave.
    Yep. BlackBerry itself calls sideloading piracy; it isn't going to formally allow it by creating a more consumer-friendly process.
    rnhld and gfondeur like this.
    10-19-13 03:18 PM
    Would I watch netflix on my phone? Probably not I would like the option to have it . Side loading. Wouldn't know how to even attempt it.
    10-19-13 03:53 PM
    At the BBJam I attended, they promised us that they would restrict sideloading to development use only. Personally I think they really failed to live up to that promise.

Coming out with a tool to actually make it easier for end users to do this would be going to the other extreme!
    10-19-13 04:24 PM
    Why doesn't they make one so the non-technical folk can get Instagram and Netflix and all other "missing" apps? Since they've licensed Android runtime on BB10 why not officially promote it with the caveat that nothing is guaranteed to work.
    At least it will make it easier to get the apps you want that aren't native. Ppl will catch on.
    Fired from my Z10
    BB didn't license nothing, the runtime it's part of the Android Open Source Project wich it's open to evertbody who want to used, and the sideload fuction never when meant for the end user, it was a way to show developers how easy was to port their apps...........
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-19-13 04:53 PM
    What I don't understand... if it's really easy for developers to port their already written code over to BlackBerry with this side loading functionality, then why don't they do it..and charge like they do on the android store. I for one would pay.

Have I or am I missing something here? Seems like a win win solution to me.

Posted with my Z30
    10-19-13 05:19 PM
    Not going to happen. Sideloading is a feature meant for devs, not consumers.

Posted via CB10
    What's it gonna hurt now?

Fired from my Z10
    10-19-13 05:53 PM
    BB didn't license nothing, the runtime it's part of the Android Open Source Project wich it's open to evertbody who want to used, and the sideload fuction never when meant for the end user, it was a way to show developers how easy was to port their apps...........
    I don't think it is. I could be wrong, but I don't think the runtime qualifies to be a part of AOSP. If it did, it would have organic access to the Play Store.
    10-19-13 06:09 PM
    downloading, uploading, front loading, side loading, is there such thing as back loading? Seems the only one missing.
    10-19-13 06:21 PM
    What's it gonna hurt now?

Fired from my Z10
    BlackBerry could get sued

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:23 PM
    If there was a Google play portal through the current BlackBerry App World, there would be major issues, but I would completely support this idea.

All free content especially, if they put in Google services, we would have a lot more apps we all know work with little to no modification.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 06:25 PM
    I don't think it is. I could be wrong, but I don't think the runtime qualifies to be a part of AOSP. If it did, it would have organic access to the Play Store.
    I'd be surprised if BlackBerry didn't pay Google anything for including their runtime in a commercial product they're making money on. (kinda making money on!)

Fired from my Z10
    10-19-13 08:43 PM
    I'd be surprised if BlackBerry didn't pay Google anything for including their runtime in a commercial product they're making money on. (kinda making money on!)

Fired from my Z10
    I don't think BBRY has to; there are Android OEMs that use Android without getting access to Play Store. I believe this is what BBRY is doing in essence.
    10-19-13 10:27 PM
    100% agree with OP.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 10:51 PM
48 12