Since there has been a lot of misinformation about WhatsApp also blocking for Android app from there servers at the end of the year, I have decided to post this statement from a WhatsApp BB10 Dev.

Android WhatsApp misinformation-img_20160924_003741.png

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 06:57 PM
    The WhatsApp developer also never said that BB10 devices would not be blocked by WhatsApp servers.
    In any case that decision would be made by the WhatsApp server administrators, not by a developer.
    09-23-16 07:06 PM
    The WhatsApp developer also never said that BB10 devices would not be blocked by WhatsApp servers.
    In any case that decision would be made by the WhatsApp server administrators, not by a developer.
    The app build will expire then, just like the one set to expire at the end of the month.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 07:09 PM
    Android WhatsApp misinformation-img_20160924_022755.png

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 07:28 PM
    The developer was wise to backtrack on what he had suggested earlier, since as a developer he is not entitled to speak publicly on behalf of WhatsApp, as some people believed he was doing.

Still, don't forget that his original take on this issue was that WhatsApp "servers will likely just stop letting your app connect". The first thing a WhatsApp server is going to see when a connection request is made is which OS is the connection coming from, so while I hope there is a BB10 WhatsApp work around after Dec. 31, I will be surprised if any server connections from BB10 devices will be accepted.

The problem at this point is so much about misinformation as it is about a lack of clearly definitive information coming directly from WhatsApp.
    09-23-16 07:54 PM
    The developer was wise to backtrack on what he had suggested earlier, since as a developer he is not entitled to speak publicly on behalf of WhatsApp, as some people believed he was doing.

Still, don't forget that his original take on this issue was that WhatsApp "servers will likely just stop letting your app connect". The first thing a WhatsApp server is going to see when a connection request is made is which OS is the connection coming from, so while I hope there is a BB10 WhatsApp work around after Dec. 31, I will be surprised if any server connections from BB10 devices will be accepted.

The problem at this point is so much about misinformation as it is about a lack of clearly definitive information coming directly from WhatsApp.
    there was no backtracking, that comment was made for standard BB10 users because there is no need to comment on a tiny minority of a minority that sideloads and uses bootlegged software that was unintended for there devices. Just plain misinterpretation.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 05:55 PM
    While we're clarifying what is misinformation and what is not, here's what WhatsApp has to say about the information they collect when you connect to their servers:

Device and Connection Information.
    We collect device-specific information when you install, access, or use our Services. This includes information such as hardware model, operating system information, browser information, IP address, mobile network information including phone number, and device identifiers.

As for the on-going availability of their services:
    We may discontinue some or all of our Services, including certain features and the support for certain devices and platforms, at any time.

https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/#priv...ion-we-collect
    Uzi likes this.
    09-24-16 06:15 PM
    While we're clarifying what is misinformation and what is not, here's what WhatsApp has to say about the information they collect when you connect to their servers:

Device and Connection Information.
    We collect device-specific information when you install, access, or use our Services. This includes information such as hardware model, operating system information, browser information, IP address, mobile network information including phone number, and device identifiers.

As for the on-going availability of their services:
    We may discontinue some or all of our Services, including certain features and the support for certain devices and platforms, at any time.

https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/#priv...ion-we-collect
    If you have really read what has been said then you would know that the WhatsApp has expiration dates(BB10) on all apps and only those apps will be disconnected. They don't want to support BB10 as a platform but if you are bootlegging then they don't give a crap, you are on your own.

Again you are reading too much into things...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 06:45 PM
    WhatsApp server administrators happen to be Facebook!
    Facebook has long ago cut off BlackBerry users to an official App.

https://telegram.org/
    Check them out just like WhatsApp without the strong arm tactics of Facebook-Zucker-butt
    BlackBerry World offers three unofficial versions
    I'm running Social Telegram on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 09:32 PM

This is exactly what happen when Facebook dropped BlackBerry users from connecting via the App, they were redirected to the browser version, and since WhatsApp doesn't support a web version .. poof, you are cut off
    Don't let them push you around

Alternatives better than WA are out there
    https://telegram.org/
    See BlackBerry World for three unofficial versions if there are enough of us we may get an official version offered.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 09:35 PM
    Please stop putting words in my mouth. I know if someone misinterprets something and repeats it across enough forum threads, everyone else automatically assumes it to be the truth. However, that doesn't actually make it so.

The screenshot of my post from the Beta Zone forums is accurate, and reflects what I've actually been saying all along.

Also, please stop trying to mince words in messages designed to be generic and easy to read. The target audience of these messages is normal users running supported clients. The Android client has never been officially supported on BlackBerry 10 devices, and thus the official notifications do not make mention of it. If that notification had sufficient detail to cover every last nitpick that might arise in forums such as these, it would be extremely confusing to the average user.
    For all those dippy unbelievers...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 01:27 PM