Kinda expecting to get a new battery anyway.
    Always do.
    The days of two day battery life are over.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BoldAlways likes this.
    12-27-12 07:00 AM
    On the face of it, 1800mA isn't that great, average if you will, but depending on how efficient QNX is on the bb10, who knows? we might be surprised!. Personally, I was hoping for the same size battery you get with the Motorola Razr Maxx - an insane 3300mA. Now that would be awsomeness by RIM.
    I was hoping for a larger battery as well, especially with the Z10, since it's bigger. I guess it all comes down to engineering because the Razr Maxx HD (and the Razr Maxx before it) are pretty damn thin devices especially since they carry 3,300 mAh batteries.
    12-29-12 06:27 PM
    Probably the whole day. If iOS, Windows Phone, Windows 8 and BB7 can do it, this probably can too. Android is sloppy with battery life (but it is improving).
    12-29-12 09:08 PM
    I was hoping for a larger battery as well, especially with the Z10, since it's bigger. I guess it all comes down to engineering because the Razr Maxx HD (and the Razr Maxx before it) are pretty damn thin devices especially since they carry 3,300 mAh batteries.
    You save a sizable percentage on thin phones by going with a non-removable battery, so that is something that has to be considered when comparing battery sizes.

Personally, I would prefer the flexibility to swap in a spare if needed than being stuck if I was away from a charger even if a smaller battery might make that slightly more likely to be needed.
    jordanc76 likes this.
    12-30-12 02:39 PM
    1800mah is decent size.

And for all those who are crying for more power:
    This one doesnt come with a sealed backside.
    So, why worry a lot??
    Just buy a 2nd battery with the phone. Charge it and keep it ready. When you run out of juice on the first one, swap it. There you have another fully charged phone in your hand!! voiiillllaaaaaaa>>>>

But I would assume the new BB10 would last a day easily on general use.

And please!!! Seidio and other quality battery makers!
    You guys know what we want. The 3000mah extended battery with juice enough to last me more than my hectic flight schedules and delays. In this case, just make it 3600mah
    12-31-12 05:10 AM
    Hi guys,

How can we compare a 9700 battery life with that of Z10 - they are different monsters, and will operate and perform differently.

A 1800MaH battery should, in theory last 12 hours, along with similar phones (GS3, iP4/5, Nexus4) - its not possible to get 2-3 days life from a performance device with a 4� screen - if it was Apple, Google and Samsung would have done it already.

Again, from what I've seen and heard, battery life shouldn't be an issue......

However, a good question....
    If BB are so confident with the OS, why did they opt for a removable battery? If its to allow people to use an emergency battery, there are plenty of decent emergency charge packs on the market.

#BB10Believe
    12-31-12 05:47 AM
    If BB are so confident with the OS, why did they opt for a removable battery? If its to allow people to use an emergency battery, there are plenty of decent emergency charge packs on the market.
    #BB10Believe
    A Very good question, indeed.
    As for a lame answer, I would say I feel more safe and better to have a removable battery in my phone. ;-)
    And practically, it is always better to have user replaceable batteries. Why should I be worried to take it to a authorised service centre/repair shop just when I can change a faulty battery??
    And I am not even mentioning of adding an extendable bigger size battery... Yes, some may ask why do you need a replaceable battery when you can buy additional charging packs... I have used a few emergency battery packs and simply dont like the phone with that.
    12-31-12 06:02 AM
    Given that we can always reset the device without removing the battery, clearly it's nothing to do with "confidence with the OS".

As with the PlayBook, you just hold down the power button for 10s straight, without releasing it, and the device either powers down completely (allowing you to then power it on for a "cold" start) or resets itself. This reset is implemented in hardware so it cannot be disabled or prevented by problems in the OS, so it's as good as a battery removal. (To those who know about this: yes, there are other button combinations that may be used, but this is the simplest way to explain it to others so I ignore the fancy-pants ways of resetting. ;-) )
    12-31-12 10:19 AM
    How many Mah was the BB Bold 9700? Cause that battery use 2 last me 3 days on a single charge. Maybe BBX 10 OS isn't a battery hog like Android is?
    Problem with Android, at least one big problem, is there is no app management. BB10 can only have 8 apps open at once, and you can easily see what is open. Windows Phone and iOS freeze apps in the background so they don't have this problem.
    12-31-12 01:19 PM
    1800mah is decent size.

And for all those who are crying for more power:
    This one doesnt come with a sealed backside.
    So, why worry a lot??
    Just buy a 2nd battery with the phone. Charge it and keep it ready. When you run out of juice on the first one, swap it. There you have another fully charged phone in your hand!! voiiillllaaaaaaa>>>>

But I would assume the new BB10 would last a day easily on general use.

And please!!! Seidio and other quality battery makers!
    You guys know what we want. The 3000mah extended battery with juice enough to last me more than my hectic flight schedules and delays. In this case, just make it 3600mah
    When i bought my S3 i bought a spare battery with it and never leave home without it. i am going to do the smame with BB10, i can't wait to come back to BB
    12-31-12 01:44 PM
    It's because that's what BlackBerrys have always been like, even back when they had amazing battery life (thanks to smaller screens and 2G connections, amongst other factors).
    12-31-12 02:33 PM
    It is to provide greater flexibility than a lot of other companies just like them including the sd card slot when plenty of others miss that out now.
    01-01-13 02:28 AM
    I can get through the day with my Torch 9810 but just barely and only if I don't use the high power consumption activities too much.

I expect to buy a spare battery day one. My wife's iPhone dies all the time, at least I will have the option!
    01-01-13 10:20 AM
    The Droid RAZR MAXX HD is by far the best touchscreen phone when it comes to battery life. I can easily go over 1.5 days on LTE, full brightness and WiFi with it, and with minimal optimizations (WiFI off, brightness on auto) I can go well over 2 days. Not to mention the fact that the phone is as durable as they come, waterproof (literally dropped it in a puddle, thing works like it did day 1), and is one of the thinnest devices I have owned.

Having a removable battery is pretty overrated, and is something that will be the way of the past.
    01-01-13 04:27 PM
    There was a poll done a long time ago of what BB users want in their BB10 device regarding battery. There was Non Removeable and Removeable. RIM took into account Removeable Battery for a list of reasons. I know on of the CB team did a blog on this when it was announced from RIM themselves they were going with the Removeable Battery.

Edit: And that the way they have built the OS they are aiming to have it last a Full Day. I think Vivek even said this in one of the demos.
    01-01-13 05:55 PM
    The dev alphas on the latest Beta .1675 EASILY last more than a day for me with development testing and constantly connected to WIFI. i also have some apps configured to pull in data like twitter and facebook so it is doing background work. I left 3 apps running in real time for hours with minimal battery loss.
    jstarett, hduty and dmlis like this.
    01-01-13 09:35 PM
    I have noticed that if I continue to text my friends all throughout the day, my 9900 gets to the Low battery state in 5 hours. Just with texting! I sure hope BB10 can handle Heavy texting well over many hours.
    01-20-13 04:50 PM
    My feeling is that the Z10 will get a full work day of above average useage. RIM has always had a very well optimised 3G stack going back a long time, which was part of why the battery life was rocking. Also using BIS and Push for everything saves a lot of power, because you don't have to keep pulling data, it just shows up as needed. For minimised apps in BB10, I suspect that they'll be well optimised. Unless you tell them to, they just sit there and wait for you, which is how they should be. That said, the major hog of battery on all devices with big screens is that lovely big screen, so there is a limit on how much you can optimise anything with a phone like that.

If we don't get 12+ hours, then at least I can carry a spare, or get a Seidio extended battery. Honestly, replaceable batteries are a HUGE deal, so much better than non-replaceable. Even if that costs the Z10 something in terms of raw capacity, having the choice to put in a bigger one, or carry spares, or whatever else, you get to choose. If nothing else, the Z10 will be on par with similar devices. Battery life is very subjective. For everyone who says 'My S3 does 16 hours on a charge!' theres someone who says 'My S3 only lasts 5 hours!' (we've seen both in this thread). The Z10 will get the same or better than your present device of similar battery and screen size. Everything depends on what is normal to you. It is not going to be worse than the competition; they almost certainly judged the battery size to be as small as possible while still being good.
    BoldAlways likes this.
    01-20-13 10:45 PM
    I just want it to be Jan. 30th already! UGH!!!! But seriously, as long as I can go about the same as my 9930 (8-10hrs.) then I will be golden. But, I am never far from a charging source anyway, either car adapter or wall...so my OCD rarely allows me to even go below 50%!
    01-22-13 03:12 PM
    I just want it to be Jan. 30th already! UGH!!!! But seriously, as long as I can go about the same as my 9930 (8-10hrs.) then I will be golden. But, I am never far from a charging source anyway, either car adapter or wall...so my OCD rarely allows me to even go below 50%!
    Yeah I have that too. The second (and second to last from the other direction) train I get into work has a socket between the seats, and even first thing in the morning I always top back up to full even though I'm only an hour out of the door, and when I'm an hour from home. If I'm outside the office, I'll be going to some far flung corner of the country and charging sources can be few and far between and so I top up whenever I can. The trains here are notoriously prone to just sometimes not showing up and not explaining why, particularly towards the end of the day. More often than not I'll be on the first train out and the last train back, and if any train anywhere along the way gets canceled or whatever it would be a HUGE issues if I couldn't use my phone. I also carry a USB battery pack and a spare battery because I need to both always be available on my phone (my boss likes to know how we are spending his money) and know for absolute certain that if there isn't a train I know about it in enough time to make other arrangements. Maybe it's a bit over the top, experience has taught me that without charging I can last right until the last train before swapping batteries or charging, but why take the risk?

Even if it transpires that the Z10 has amazing world beating battery life, I'm still going to be carrying a wall charger, a battery pack and getting a spare battery. I like having enough mAh about my person to charge my camera mans iPhone twice and still have enough to do another long *** day on top before I have to seek out a socket.
    01-23-13 02:23 AM
    It will last as long as the average Android phone with similar battery sizes. Android 4+ has no issues with battery, sorry.

Too much pipe dreaming and ignorance.

If you think you're going to get two days of work out of that battery, then I have no choice but to assume you are unemployed because unless you barely use the phone you aren't going to get that type of usage out of it. Period. That's just the way it goes.

Additionally, LTE has been ready since S3 CPUs were on the market. S4 didn't improve battery life by such a huge margin that S3 was useless by comparison. I have a phone with an S3 CPU and my battery life on LTE is fine. Yes, the newer SoCs are better, but that was more an excuse on RIM's part than anything since we know now BB10 wasn't even close to being ready on the software end back then. Not even close. It has nothing to do with the SoCs available, as they were more than good enough.

The HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Charge didn't use S3 CPUs, so they aren't in the same category as phones like the GS2 Skyrocket and others that did. The only time you had issues was when the battery was under speced, which is an issue you should avoid with ANY LTE device. 1620 mAh batteries in the HTC Vivid and Rezound come to mind.
    01-24-13 10:44 AM
    So you have been using a Z10 for a while now with the full version of BB10? My 9850 can get 12 to 14 hours moderate use with a 1230mah battery. I don't know if you have figured this out or not but... BB10 is NOT Android. Since RIM is big on battery life I'm going to say it will get atleast 8 hours of heavy use. Even my Bold 9900 can do that. My buddy gets 1.5 to 2 days out of his razor maxx. That's 3300mah battery. I don't see why this phone can't last atleast 8 to 10 hours. We'll find out soon enough.

It will last as long as the average Android phone with similar battery sizes. Android 4+ has no issues with battery, sorry.

Too much pipe dreaming and ignorance.

If you think you're going to get two days of work out of that battery, then I have no choice but to assume you are unemployed because unless you barely use the phone you aren't going to get that type of usage out of it. Period. That's just the way it goes.

Additionally, LTE has been ready since S3 CPUs were on the market. S4 didn't improve battery life by such a huge margin that S3 was useless by comparison. I have a phone with an S3 CPU and my battery life on LTE is fine. Yes, the newer SoCs are better, but that was more an excuse on RIM's part than anything since we know now BB10 wasn't even close to being ready on the software end back then. Not even close. It has nothing to do with the SoCs available, as they were more than good enough.

The HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Charge didn't use S3 CPUs, so they aren't in the same category as phones like the GS2 Skyrocket and others that did. The only time you had issues was when the battery was under speced, which is an issue you should avoid with ANY LTE device. 1620 mAh batteries in the HTC Vivid and Rezound come to mind.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-24-13 11:18 AM
    No one's talking about 8 hours which is doable on moderate use. Someone said 2 days and someone else said 16 or something ridiculous. Truth is most people who say moderate are light users. And HTC One X has no issues going 8+ with < 1800. Your point?

A 9850 isn't really comparable to a modern LTE device with other features like NFC that don't power themselves. It's useless to mention it and serves as no base for comparison. In any case, it would be interesting to see your actual screen on time, not just the time since you u plugged. That is way more useful to know (the other, basically useless) I'm well aware a phone can last forever when it's majority standby time.

No one is getting two days out of a 9900 with moderate (as opposed to light masquerading as moderate) use.

The Razor Maxx clocks that battery life with above moderate usage. That's the whole point. The phone is specced to survive all day HEAVY use without a charge. No one buys a phone like that to barely use it and just enjoy not having to plug it in at night just so they can quote useless battery stats. They buy it so they can use the phone heavily without worrying about charge. You can get extended batteries almost as big that hardly add bulk to other phones.

Friend of mine has a Motorola extended battery in his Atrix 2 (almost 2900 mah) and it barely added any thickness to the phone. Lasts all day under heavy use. Another has one in his bionic.

1800 is below average and BB10 won't miraculously make the components in the phone suddenly drain 20+% less power... Software can't defy the laws of electronics.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-25-13 at 01:22 AM.
    01-25-13 01:06 AM
    Since RIM is big on battery life I'm going to say it will get atleast 8 hours of heavy use. Even my Bold 9900 can do that.

what 9900 are you using? when i'm on heavy use (ie. almost non stop calls/messaging/emails on an extra busy day) it won't even last half that time.

01-25-13 04:37 AM
    what 9900 are you using? when i'm on heavy use (ie. almost non stop calls/messaging/emails on an extra busy day) it won't even last half that time.

Mine lasts... 9900 powered with an unstanding hybrid
    01-25-13 06:33 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD