hey will a brand new 8900 screen protector from possibly zagg fit the 9700 screen? seems they both have the same size screen so i was wondering if i should just order the 8900 screen protector and go ahead and put that on just want to make sure if anyone knows it will fit before dropping 20$ on it.

thanks
    11-08-09 04:10 PM
    Should work fine, the phones are the same dimensions with the same screen size, since the screen stretches across the entire phone on both of them we know the screens the exact same size. Should work, but the Coverage might be a little different outside of the actual screen real estate such as the shiny black areas around it.
    11-08-09 04:48 PM
    I used the zagg for the 8900 and fits ok but falls a little short around the black shiny parts the 8900 seems to have the same viewing measurement but it looks like the bold 9700 in fact is bigger overall with the black boarder

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 07:48 PM
    Hey quick question... This may be a bit off topic. would or does the 9700 keyboard look like it would fit the 8900? I'm curious and am hoping that one of you 9700 owners would be able to give me some input! Thanks in advance

11-08-09 08:09 PM
    Hey quick question... This may be a bit off topic. would or does the 9700 keyboard look like it would fit the 8900? I'm curious and am hoping that one of you 9700 owners would be able to give me some input! Thanks in advance

Have you even looked at the two phones? You can go to blackberry's website and look at them their... The answer is obvious once you take a quick look at them...
    11-08-09 11:19 PM
    Yes I have seen both phones. My question needs an answer from someone who has physically handled the 9700. I've seen the 9700 in pics and in pics it seems the same size and design as a 8900.

I have not been able to physically play with a 9700 and was hoping for some constructive input from someone who has a 9700.

11-08-09 11:27 PM
    Yes I have seen both phones. My question needs an answer from someone who has physically handled the 9700. I've seen the 9700 in pics and in pics it seems the same size and design as a 8900.

I have not been able to physically play with a 9700 and was hoping for some constructive input from someone who has a 9700.

I played around with it in a Rogers store, the keyboards are completely different. When compared to my 8900's, 9700's keyboard is noticeably wider. Unless you got a custom case for it, I doubt you'd be able to fit it in the 8900
    11-08-09 11:53 PM

To do the retrofit you'd have to retrofit it with a TrackPad too which is all but impossible. The way the OEM keyboards are formed they are built with the mid-buttons connected to the actual keyboard, because of the TrackPads size vs' the ball these buttons(end, call, bbkey, back) are all taller, thus dispositioning the keyboard placement vs. the mid plate(which would cause none of the buttons to work, or they'd all press in the wrong places), unless you wanted to cut off the top and use the old ones, then place the keyboard in you're still going to have the issue of the front faceplate not covering the keyboard so it won't be held down, the keyboard mounts to the bottom plate that has a completely different mount from the 8900 that has no bottom plate and just the chrome. You'd end up replacing everything but the PCB, LCD, and TrackBall. Not to mention the bottom of the 9700 keyboard is screwed in with the Mid Plate and PCB with no side clips either like the 8900. Along with the bottom row not being curved and thus not even getting close to fitting along the chrome without trimming off a few buttons.
    Last edited by Arreat; 11-09-09 at 12:28 AM.
    11-09-09 12:22 AM
    Allleee & Arreat thank you both for taking the time and understanding my curiosity and taking the time to answer my question with a positive and constructive answers.

Well there goes my tinkering idea of creating a frankenBerry 8997...hehe

11-09-09 02:51 AM
    hey will a brand new 8900 screen protector from possibly zagg fit the 9700 screen? seems they both have the same size screen so i was wondering if i should just order the 8900 screen protector and go ahead and put that on just want to make sure if anyone knows it will fit before dropping 20$ on it.

thanks
    It fits top to bottom but left to right it's a couple of milimetres too wide (the 8900 protector is too wide for the 9700) so I put it on one of those paper trimming boards and copped of a tiny tough from each side.
    Note-- the viewing area is the same on both screens. The diff is on the 8900 there's a little bit of screen extending beyond the actual viewing pixels where as on the 9700, that same little extention is contoured-- not flat. I hope you get what I'm saying. It's hard to explain. If you had the units side by side like I do, you'd see it.

11-09-09 05:25 AM
    You would think Invisible Shield, Martin Fields et al would have been given/requested the screen dimensions months ago by RIM ready to coincide with the launch on all market areas.
    11-09-09 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD