The chargers have the same output from previous generations. I guess the biggest issue will be having to purchase yet another car charger. Part of the "Master Plan" I guess.
    12-01-09 07:06 PM
    most new mobile devices are moving to the micro-usb ports. Best thing to do is to buy the little converters from amazon for like $1/ea
    12-01-09 07:07 PM
    Very cool.

Thanks!
    12-01-09 07:12 PM
    most new mobile devices are moving to the micro-usb ports.
    Correct. A little more detail...
    DailyTech - Universal Mobile Phone Charger Standard Approved by ITU
    12-01-09 07:24 PM
    I like the micro. Its seems to be lot more snug fit then the mini.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 07:25 PM
    You can purchase adapters for the mini to micro usb. They are made by motorola.

I picked up 5 on ebay for like $13 shipped canadian.

Work perfectly on all my old pearl cables for my new 9700

12-01-09 07:28 PM
    i can see why Blackberry are moving over to the microUSB, it makes sense to have a smaller hole in the side of the phone which allows for better design features, also it becoming standardised (thanks for this info as i had no clue) and the fact that we now have to purchase new in car chargers, i did love the mini usb slot as i have about 50 cables for mini USB and now only 2 for micro USB.
    12-01-09 07:30 PM
    Also there was a pact formed by the majority of the cell companies to use Microusb.
    12-01-09 07:32 PM
    I had to switch all my cables and charger with the 8900. Now everyone in my family has a new phone, all from different manufacturers, and all are micros. I did discover the wall charger that came with my Motorola work phone works fine with my BlackBerries.

12-01-09 07:42 PM
    Those idiots at Apple need to get with the program.

12-01-09 07:48 PM
    Ironically, the move to the new adapter is to save everyone money, not make you buy new chargers.

Device makers spend a ton of money including a charger with each new device. The main goal of this standardization is that in a couple of years, chargers will NOT be included with each new device, as everyone should already own a compatible one with their current device.
    12-01-09 07:49 PM
    which in turn, if you have broken your old charger, you would have to purchase a new one surely. therefore buying a new charger. obviously you dont have to buy it from the store you get your phone, but it will be like a rep trying to sell you insurance, but with a charger instead
    12-01-09 07:51 PM
    I wonder what HTC will do with their micro-usb headphones.

HTC just REFUSES to add a 3.5mm audio port to the majority of their devices so anyone looking to use headphones with their phones has to get a micro USB headset. Now will they offer mini USB? Still not add 3.5mm audio port?
    12-01-09 08:19 PM
    not quite sure what youre talking about. Now if you mean WM, then HTC has already publicly said the Touch Pro 2 is the last phone without a 3.5mm/micro. All the HTC Android devices have 3.5mm/micro jacks.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-01-09 at 08:25 PM.
    12-01-09 08:23 PM
    not quite sure what youre talking about. Now if you mean WM, then HTC has already publicly said the Touch Pro 2 is the last phone without a 3.5mm/micro. All the HTC Android devices have 3.5mm/micro jacks.
    Mytouch does not. Only has their micro jack. I owned one, one of the features I didn't like. The Hero on the other hand does have both
    12-01-09 10:48 PM
    MyTouch was well before this announcement though its been out a while now. Its a from now on kind of thing
    12-01-09 11:20 PM
    The micro-usb will also allow auto manufacturers to provide standardized plug-ins and such, and cities to perhaps have charging stations at/on bus stops and buses, and public charging stations in busy areas.

12-02-09 12:00 AM
    ^ that's true never thought about it like that.
    12-02-09 02:19 PM
    Does anyone know what was wrong with the old mini design?

I wonder whether other chargers will actually work on a BB, as I have a motorola mini charger that won't charge my 8310 (and vv) wheread the motorola cig charger _will_ charge my 8310.
    12-02-09 04:06 PM
    The micro-usb will also allow auto manufacturers to provide standardized plug-ins and such, and cities to perhaps have charging stations at/on bus stops and buses, and public charging stations in busy areas.

your phone could get USBaids....

12-02-09 04:08 PM

As a bus driver I hope that never happens. Its already enough bitchin and moanin ppl talking on buses then add trying to charge your phone. I'll pass lol

12-02-09 04:40 PM
    As a bus driver I hope that never happens. Its already enough bitchin and moanin ppl talking on buses then add trying to charge your phone. I'll pass lol

I sympathize with that, I kinda expanded thinking on that one. But don't many people who ride buses have a reason to gripe? I mean, look at them! (J/k!!)

12-02-09 04:45 PM
    Does anyone know what was wrong with the old mini design?

I wonder whether other chargers will actually work on a BB, as I have a motorola mini charger that won't charge my 8310 (and vv) wheread the motorola cig charger _will_ charge my 8310.
    The cross-section of the mini-USB is wider on the vertical axis. This would be quite limiting to the designers of mobile electronics, who are constantly trying to make thinner devices.

The mini is also quite fragile, by comparison, and far more easily broken. This has been one of the most repaired items on many devices that use them, especially BlackBerry. The micro USB has been fail tested at least double the standard of a mini-USB, if I remember my numbers correctly.

12-02-09 04:52 PM
    it just looks better, and it saves space. i love the microness
    12-02-09 05:42 PM
    your phone could get USBaids....

Your post made me laugh a little. Just a little. No I'm kidding... a lot. But I'm not laughing anymore; just smiling now. Ok you got me... I'm still laughing. But not for long.
    12-02-09 06:00 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD