just a question. I see otterbox cases and things like that for $50 to prottect storm. however, the insurance will replace it for $50. So, why add bulk to your phone to protect something that will be obsolete in less than 2 years that if it does break you can get anew one for 50 dollars?
    03-04-09 12:42 PM
    Cuz sometimes you drop your phone and it doesn't break, but gets all scratched up and icky lookin.
    03-04-09 12:44 PM
    plus your paying 50 bucks for a refurbished phone.
    03-04-09 12:46 PM
    i dont have a case at all. ive got a couple of nice scratches around the chrome bezel, but they dont bother me. as long as it works, i'm good. if i ever drop it and it quits working, i'll go to insurance.

i would like to keep it in as good condition as possible, but i'm not going to freak out if i do drop it again
    03-04-09 12:49 PM
    for the simple facts that Insurance supplies refurbished phones and that you will be a couple of days without a phone should it totally brick.
    03-04-09 12:52 PM
    i dont have a case at all. ive got a couple of nice scratches around the chrome bezel, but they dont bother me. as long as it works, i'm good. if i ever drop it and it quits working, i'll go to insurance.

i would like to keep it in as good condition as possible, but i'm not going to freak out if i do drop it again
    Given that it's such a nice looking phone, i wouldnt want any scratches, etc.

I ordered the innocase II + holster as soon as i got the phone. Good to keep it in mint condition, that way u can sell it when/if something better comes out.
    03-04-09 12:53 PM
    Given that it's such a nice looking phone, i wouldnt want any scratches, etc.

I ordered the innocase II + holster as soon as i got the phone. Good to keep it in mint condition, that way u can sell it when/if something better comes out.
    The chrome bezel is the only piece i see getting any real scratches on it so when I go to sell it, I spend $20 and viola! BlackBerry Storm 9500/9530 OEM chrome bezel- SonyEricsson, Tools, Nokia, Alcatel, 3G, Motorola, Panasonic, HTC, Microsoft, Ap
    03-04-09 12:57 PM
    Funny you mention that, because I've been thinking about going naked lately. I already took my invisible shield off, and can't tell you how glad I am I did. But I think I'll take the skin off too, because my phone is so hard to take out of my pocket. If I drop it, i'll go to insurance, and I'll use my Pearl while i wait.
    03-04-09 01:06 PM
    It's not just "$50". Don't forget the monthly charge of $5.00.
    03-04-09 01:32 PM
    And if you use the insurance more than once or twice, the insurance company will cancel you. They're not in the business to lose money.
    At that point, you'd have to either buy a case or take better care of your phone.
    03-04-09 01:55 PM
    i heard the insurance went up to $100 for smartphones. Plus we are in a recession. take care of your sh#t.
    03-04-09 01:57 PM
    The chrome bezel is the only piece i see getting any real scratches on it so when I go to sell it, I spend $20 and viola! BlackBerry Storm 9500/9530 OEM chrome bezel- SonyEricsson, Tools, Nokia, Alcatel, 3G, Motorola, Panasonic, HTC, Microsoft, Ap
    That piece is very difficult to replace....The buttons on the top are attached to a ribbon cable that is glued in place and will usually rip whenyou try to remove it....
    03-04-09 02:12 PM
    That piece is very difficult to replace....The buttons on the top are attached to a ribbon cable that is glued in place and will usually rip whenyou try to remove it....
    i've taken in apart already one time. you get the tools from cnn.cn so that you dont tear anything up.. it will not be that hard to replace
    03-04-09 02:16 PM
    I have had Blackberry's for a couple of years and have replaced 2 using the insurance... A curve and a Storm.... Did the claim online, both times arrived next day if done by 7:30 p.m. and both times were brand new phones in box....
    03-04-09 02:48 PM
    i doubt they'll replace your phone if its just got a few scratches... if you dont care about them.. then go ahead dont buy a case.

fwiw i wouldnt buy an otterbox anyways because they are hideous.
    03-04-09 03:00 PM
    My guess is if you are willing to spend the money on a case, then it means you like your phone. Why risk getting a refirb with someone elses problems. Take care of your phone.
    03-04-09 03:19 PM
    just a question. I see otterbox cases and things like that for $50 to prottect storm. however, the insurance will replace it for $50. So, why add bulk to your phone to protect something that will be obsolete in less than 2 years that if it does break you can get anew one for 50 dollars?
    Why do you think it would be worth the trouble of waiting on a replacement phone? You can get a good case for less than 50 bucks and will not have to wait on a new phone. And this phone is gettin better everyday...
    03-04-09 03:20 PM
    i heard the insurance went up to $100 for smartphones. Plus we are in a recession. take care of your sh#t.
    Where did you hear this? I have not seen anything about that.

I would think if a change like that were happening VZ would be required to inform their customers by a flyer in their bill or an email wouldn't they?
    03-04-09 03:52 PM
    Where did you hear this? I have not seen anything about that.

I would think if a change like that were happening VZ would be required to inform their customers by a flyer in their bill or an email wouldn't they?

I have not heard any change in the pricing either. But the insurance is not through Verizon. Its a third party company, Asurion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 04:03 PM
    Another reason to protect your device is insurance will only replace 2 phones in a 12 month period....I try and save these 2 for when it can't be prevented.
    03-04-09 04:14 PM
    Well $50 per incident and only twice in 12 months on verizon. ($100 for two replacements) Then your on your own. Plus the scratches etc.

Whoops...repost
    03-04-09 04:18 PM
    I just really like the holster and it wont fit in there with a cover on it. The phone is cool looking by itself. The silicon cover makes it hard to take out of my pocket. The Otterbox would make me not want to put it in my pocket. I don't want to buy a new hard plastic cover everytime I drop it. The GA, IS, BSE seem to be more work than I'm willing to put in to covering my phone.

Like I said before, I'll deal with a few scratches. It seems like with or without a case, if you mess it up enough to claim insurance then it wouldn't matter about the case anyway. (ie: being thrown into the pool, having it explode on your desk, your dog biting it and cracking the screen)
    03-04-09 04:24 PM
    $160 a year for two new phones seems like a good deal to me, but I take care of my blacks
    03-04-09 04:26 PM
    I have had Blackberry's for a couple of years and have replaced 2 using the insurance... A curve and a Storm.... Did the claim online, both times arrived next day if done by 7:30 p.m. and both times were brand new phones in box....
    and even if it was refurbished then whatever was wrong with it that got the phone sent back the first time is now fixed so you know your getting a functioning phone. i would rather have the refurbished phone just for that reason
    03-04-09 04:38 PM
    It's a little easier to hold on to the phone for me in the Innocase, and the side buttons are recessed and more difficult to press by accident...and now the chrome bezel is covered, which suits me just fine.

To each his own....
    03-04-09 06:40 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD