Exactly how does the magnetic "In Holster" feature work? Where on the phone is the area that triggers this magnetic sleep/off feature?

I'm asking because I'm considering sewing in a small magnet (prob. the one in a spare holster) inside the narrow side leg pocket that is on a couple of my Lee Dungaree Jeans. This pocket is so perfect for my BB, I use it all the time, perfect fit and access. I'd like to get the magnetic feature working as well, when my BB is in this pocket, easy enough to do, as long as I know where on the phone the magnet trigger is.

Thanks,
    Utkarsh likes this.
    02-08-08 09:35 PM
    put the magnet right in front of the space bar.
    02-08-08 10:23 PM
    make sure is very week magnet!! don't want to kill screen
    02-08-08 10:25 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, weak magnet, got it. I'll prob. use the one out of a BB holster or some magnet that is intended as a clasp from a holster.
    Thanks again,
    02-08-08 10:39 PM
    Thats a really cool idea. I'm going to try that.
    02-12-08 02:33 PM
    DON'T PUT HARD-DRIVE DEVICES IN THAT POCKET! Like large capacity iPods.

I love the holster! Automatically changes my JiveTalk status, puts it into stand-by, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-08 05:59 PM
    DON'T PUT HARD-DRIVE DEVICES IN THAT POCKET! Like large capacity iPods.
    Good tip, yet I don't think the weak magnet we are talking about will affect those types of harddrives. I think....
    02-12-08 10:12 PM
    hmmm, maybe not. But better safe than sorry! I don't even like putting my holster near my laptop!
    02-13-08 03:36 AM
    Good tip, yet I don't think the weak magnet we are talking about will affect those types of harddrives. I think....
    I wouldn't take the risk that you are suggesting until I've had a successful TEST. Magnets and hard drives are not friendly to one another. Well, the magnet doesn't really care, but you get my meaning.
    02-13-08 09:58 AM
    I have the Curve 8330 and I didnlt know about the "Out of Holster" option till I already purchased a very nice, lather holster, but cheap one ($10). Luckily it has the magnet clap on the top rather than tha velcro, so all I have to do is insert my unit upside down in the holster so the magnet is actually at the space bar. Works like a charm. :-)
    07-13-08 09:42 AM
    mine seems most sensitive at the G H V B area of the keyboard...

look at those keys. that is with the oem magnet, taken from holster, taped to my desk at work. also it is most sensitive on the rear side at the battery door release. i have the magnet taped to the desk where i rest my phone, as it puts it in holster mode when i am not using it. HTH.
    07-13-08 11:52 AM
    that is so cool. my phone has the clip and I could never figure out why it never went in to the holster mode. guess Im going shopping for a case!
    07-13-08 09:32 PM
    Those w unusual piercings should also be careful when sewing a magnet in you pocket...

07-13-08 10:47 PM
    Hi, I'm new to Blackberry. What are you guys talking about "holster" and what magnet? Is there something I don't know.

Mary jane
    07-14-08 03:46 PM
    What are you guys talking about "holster" and what magnet? Is there something I don't know.
    Many holsters (aka belt clips) have a small magnet built in. When your BB is put next to one of those magnets, it goes into standby (or sleep) mode. Saves battery power, but will still alert you if you get a call, message, etc (provided you have your profile setting correctly.

In each profile, there are two categories of settings - "In holster" and "out of holster". Do a quick forum search for how to change and edit your profile settings for a detailed step by step procedure.
    07-14-08 03:56 PM
    Thanks Abe.
    07-19-08 03:07 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, weak magnet, got it. I'll prob. use the one out of a BB holster or some magnet that is intended as a clasp from a holster.
    Thanks again,
    I don't think it is the clasp magnet that puts it in standby. If you play around with the clasp magnet and the phone you will see that it is a little high for being able to put the bb in standby. I think there is a third magnet inside the case that is used to put it in standby. let me know what you find out cause I am considering using the OEM magnets to make a custom case to match my GTI interior.
    07-21-08 10:04 AM
    Will the magnet thing work only on specific modles? I couldn't find anything in profiles that has to do with enableing this feature.
    07-27-08 12:42 PM
    Will the magnet thing work only on specific modles? I couldn't find anything in profiles that has to do with enableing this feature.
    If in your profiles you have two modes, out-of-holster and in-holster, you have the capability. I'm unaware of any way to turn this off, or to enable it if it's not present.

07-27-08 12:51 PM
    ... mine seems most sensitive at the G H V B area of the keyboard...

In the words of the sainted Michael Scott: "That's what SHE said."
    07-28-08 04:54 PM
    If you go into the phone mode, then options, general options, then auto end calls in holster choose yes.
    05-15-10 11:19 AM
    Is it possible to turn this feature off as I use a Steelie to mount my phone in my car and it is in a constant state of sleep due to the earth magnet attached to the back of my phone. I tried taping the inside of the battery cover but to no avail.
    06-20-15 06:21 AM
    Yes I'm also having the same problem. My car mount is magnetic but I use it for music and maps but the screen goes out because of the magnet. How do I turn this off?
    06-21-15 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD