I saw a post with someone offering free ringtones. I thought I would just drop a little knowledge.

First of all, you need to be able to get the mp3 you want to edit. I accomplish this with Mozilla Firefox, with the extension "download helper"

Second you need to go to a site that is going to embed\stream the audio file. I use playlist.com I have found that the site has almost every song I've ever searched for (i personally have about 90gb of music). From the mainstream to the obscure.

Click the link to play the song, and the little player on the right will start playing the music. After it starts playing the icon at the top (looks like molecules) will start spinning. Click download helper icon beside the address bar, and assuming you only played one song, it will show a file that is a string of numbers. This is your mp3 file. You should save the file with the .mp3 extension, so your music player\editor will recognize the file format.

There are a few pieces of software that will allow you to edit the songs into short clips of what you want. I will cover just a few.....

Audacity is a great one, while the interface can be a little intimidating, it offers you the ability to tweak the intro and outro volume, or to splice songs. It is available for free download, just do a google search.

For the technically impaired, there is a java program called "ringjone", it will basically play the music, you just click where you want the clip to start at, and where you want it to end. It will output an mp3 file to wherever you save it to. I have found that the size of the file is a bit larger than the size if you use Audacity, or my next recommendation...

Finally, the program I use the most (when I'm on a pc with access to it) is Nero Wav Editor. Again the interface is a little intimidating, but the features you will be using to create the tone are fairly simple to find and use. It allows different encoding options, and also lets you change the overall volume of the file. I've found that sometimes a little higher dB leval makes it easier to hear the phone when it rings. A great copy and paste feature is included in the software.

Nero is not free, but it is included in almost all of the Nero Suite Distros, and is a great piece of software for this specific use.

I hope this helps you guys, and I say go wild with ringtones, I have over 350 ringtones on my phone, and quite a few shortened to use as txt tones.

04-24-09 12:45 PM
    Audacity is what I use. So simple, just add, cut, export as mp3, and send. Done and done.
    04-24-09 12:52 PM
    Yep, another Audacity user here.
    04-24-09 05:01 PM
    I use the latest beta of audacity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 05:15 PM
    I use the latest beta of audacity.

Any noteworthy changes?
    04-24-09 05:16 PM
    Adobe Audition , yeah Audacity is free. It helps that I'm PR for a radio station.
    04-24-09 05:17 PM
    I Use iTunes.
    04-24-09 05:22 PM
    Audacity is what I use. So simple, just add, cut, export as mp3, and send. Done and done.
    +1

Couldn't be more easier.

04-24-09 05:32 PM
    Sounds ********, but I use PhoneZoo (Free Ringtones from Phonezoo: Make and Download Free Ringtones, Free Mobile Wallpaper and Free Mobile Games).

Just upload a song/sound file, use the online software to cut to your liking, then send to your phone.

I find it to be really easy and no need to download anything.
    04-24-09 05:34 PM
    I use Cool Edit Pro...I've used it since the time of the Nextel i860, it's easy to use.
    04-24-09 06:05 PM
    Audacity FTW, I don't see how it could be any easier....
    04-24-09 10:12 PM
    I love audacity, I've been using it for years, even back when I made MIDI's. it's the best program for making mp3 ringtones period.
    04-25-09 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD