Hi guys I had a problem with my 9780

The wallpaper keep going back to the original wallpaper

The themes I used is the original blackberry 6 that comes with

The phone ...

This symptoms happen when I restart the device either using

Quickpull or take the battery out.

I tried upgrading to .650 mobilicity

I tried took out the memory card and changed the wallpaper

The wallpaper still coming back to the original after restart ...

Any ideas how can I recover the problem

Thanks a lot guys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-11 12:21 PM
    Have you got any apps on there that are trying to change the wallpaper and getting it wrong?
    09-18-11 03:26 PM
    That happens on .600, .646 and .647. Are you sure you have .650? It works properly here.
    09-18-11 06:49 PM
    Have you got any apps on there that are trying to change the wallpaper and getting it wrong?

I don't have any of that installed .. I change it manually thru the media

09-18-11 09:02 PM
    That happens on .600, .646 and .647. Are you sure you have .650? It works properly here.
    It was ok before on my .600 as of yesterday it happens I upgraded the os to .650

09-18-11 09:20 PM
    Anyone can help me with the problem ...

09-19-11 10:05 AM
    I change it manually thru the media
    What does that mean? Can you try and explain the steps you take to set your wallpaper. (Use a translation engine if English is not your first language)

I set my wallpaper as follows:

Scroll to top of screen and click the very top where the Clock, battery, signal meter is.
    Menu appears, I scroll this to the bottom and click on options
    Scroll the next menu and click on Display \ Date, time, themes, screen
    Scroll the next menu and click on Home Screen Preferences \ Change wallpaper, download folder
    Scroll next screen to the Change Wallpaper button
    I then get choices of Camera Pictures, Picture Library or Wallpaper

The wallpaper I use was placed onto my SD Card when connected to the PC. So I pick my wallpaper from "Picture Library".

Are you following these above steps? Or doing it another way?
    09-19-11 12:21 PM
    What does that mean? Can you try and explain the steps you take to set your wallpaper. (Use a translation engine if English is not your first language)

I set my wallpaper as follows:

Scroll to top of screen and click the very top where the Clock, battery, signal meter is.
    Menu appears, I scroll this to the bottom and click on options
    Scroll the next menu and click on Display \ Date, time, themes, screen
    Scroll the next menu and click on Home Screen Preferences \ Change wallpaper, download folder
    Scroll next screen to the Change Wallpaper button
    I then get choices of Camera Pictures, Picture Library or Wallpaper

The wallpaper I use was placed onto my SD Card when connected to the PC. So I pick my wallpaper from "Picture Library".

Are you following these above steps? Or doing it another way?

Yup that's what I do and also ...

- Go to media
    - open "wallpaper" folder
    - select and open the picture
    - menu and select " set as wallpaper "

09-19-11 05:04 PM
    Even I have the same problem and no one on the forums could help me. I am not sure of the reason why this happens :-(

Can anyone help us as to why the wallpaper keeps getting back to the original post the restart of battery pull?

Awaiting replies
    09-19-11 06:22 PM
    I'd wipe and reload the OS. .650 works fine here, while I did have that annoying issue on .600...

Nothing much we can do.
    09-19-11 09:17 PM
    I'd wipe and reload the OS. .650 works fine here, while I did have that annoying issue on .600...

Nothing much we can do.
    I have done that and the problem still exist ...

09-20-11 06:12 AM
    Does it do it with all images, or just certain ones?

What happens if you use wallpaper of the correct size - 480x320 pixels? I suggest that as one of the few differences I can think of. Otherwise the "wipe and reinstall" sounds sensible.
    09-20-11 06:19 AM
    Could this be an SD card problem? Failure to read straight off so the phone diverts back to default image? I used to have an old nokia for which personal ringtones were stored on an SD card, there were times when, for some reason, the phone rang but seemingly couldn't read the card so would just use the default tone, but when I checked would read it fine.

OP - Have you tried transferring everything on your media card to a different one? Then see if you have the same problem.
    09-20-11 06:43 AM
    @GreenBerry84... I was just coming back to make the same kind comment. Is the micro SD Card the original one for the phone? Or bought new?

Not all cards are the same. "Class" is a speed marking of the chip, higher the better. As Greenberry84 suggests, you card could be "too slow".

And importantly - there are a lot of knock-off fakes out there. So are you really 100% sure you have a good quality card? Buy Kingston or Sandisk from a reputable dealer. (i.e. direct from Amazon.com, but NOT from the Marketplace)

The other obvious thought - it could be corrupted. Connect it to a PC and do a chdsk on it. Check for any file system errors.
    09-20-11 06:51 AM
    I don't think the pixel size of wallpaper matters (and it's 480x360 for the 9780), but rather the physical size of the pic being used as a wallpaper.

I tend to use the same wallpaper pic on my 9780, which is 4391x3698 pixels but only 3.7Mb in size, and I have never had a problem with it not saving and reappearing after a reboot... on ANY 9780 OS version.

The wallpaper.dat file that is created and used for remembering your wallpaper after a reboot is stored in the device memory, and not on the media card. It is possible that there is a maximum size in Mb for this file, and if your pic exceeds this size, then the .dat file is not created, and hence you lose your wallpaper after a reboot.

09-20-11 06:52 AM
    Does it do it with all images, or just certain ones?

What happens if you use wallpaper of the correct size - 480x320 pixels? I suggest that as one of the few differences I can think of. Otherwise the "wipe and reinstall" sounds sensible.
    I believe all of them .. Because I done it with no memorycard installed
    And I change the wallpaper from the folder that comes with the phone
    Which is a factory equipped wallpaper

I do wipe my os 600 and move to 650 and it does the same

I try formatted my memorycard and problem still there

09-20-11 11:39 PM
    The wallpaper.dat file that is created and used for remembering your wallpaper after a reboot is stored in the device memory, and not on the media card.
    I wonder if this dat file is actually corrupted on the phone itself. Phill, do you know of any way of getting access to this single file so it could be checked\deleted?
    09-21-11 08:16 AM
    I wonder if this dat file is actually corrupted on the phone itself. Phill, do you know of any way of getting access to this single file so it could be checked\deleted?
    That's a possibility. I can't remember exactly where it is on OS6 as I haven't used my 9780 for a while, but on OS7 it is here...

Files > File Folders > Device > (Menu) Show Hidden > appdata > rim > homescreen > wallpaper.dat

09-21-11 08:41 AM
    Just checked on my OS6 and that location is the same. Accessed in the same way.

r_widjaya - just for the hull of it, go locate wallpaper.dat using the path noted by Phill and delete it. Then set a fresh wallpaper.
    09-21-11 08:48 AM
    I just downgraded my os to non 6XX version which is .570

And the problem still exist

I really don't understand what causing this

09-23-11 01:31 AM
    Just checked on my OS6 and that location is the same. Accessed in the same way.

r_widjaya - just for the hull of it, go locate wallpaper.dat using the path noted by Phill and delete it. Then set a fresh wallpaper.
    Hey its works ... Thanks a lot ... I appreciate it

Wohooooo crackberry rocks

09-23-11 12:10 PM
    Excellent News!! With a bit of hacking around most problems can be solved BEFORE the hammer has to come out.

Though sometimes letting the phone SEE that hammer does help to speed up the solution.
    09-23-11 12:12 PM
    That's great news. Seems the wallpaper.dat file got corrupted somehow.

09-23-11 12:16 PM
    Media > Menu > Memory Usage

Check if the alloted device memory is completely used. That would prevent the wallpaper.dat ever being created to begin with.

If this is the case, hook the device to the latest Desktop Software and use the Files feature to delete everything from the device memory (well, everything you don't need).

Save your wallpaper, reboot and tell us how it went.
    09-23-11 02:50 PM
    same problem with de os 570 now with 666 the wallpaper remains
    10-07-11 03:08 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD