Hey everyone,

I recently got an sdhc card for my curve 8900 and moved all my pictures to it. I am currently using wallpaper from the card and ever since I put the card in my battery drains much faster. It is usual for a memory card to drain a lot of power?

Since I read some places that the card doesn�t drain it too much I�m thinking is it because I have my wallpaper set to a picture that is in the memory card? Therefore it is always reading the memory card and this is the cause of the drain? Any thoughts how I may correct this or if my analysis is correct?

Thanks
    08-25-09 10:07 AM
    Copy it to device memory then.
    08-25-09 10:14 AM
    Hey everyone,

I recently got an sdhc card for my curve 8900 and moved all my pictures to it. I am currently using wallpaper from the card and ever since I put the card in my battery drains much faster. It is usual for a memory card to drain a lot of power?

Since I read some places that the card doesn�t drain it too much I�m thinking is it because I have my wallpaper set to a picture that is in the memory card? Therefore it is always reading the memory card and this is the cause of the drain? Any thoughts how I may correct this or if my analysis is correct?

Thanks
    Could very well be. The larger the picture, the more work your phone has to do in order to render it on the screen. I resize all my pics with Photoshop to 480x360 and make sure none of my wallpapers are over 40KB.

The wallpaper I am using right now is one I made myself in Photoshop and is only 5KB and my memory always seems fine.

Could also be some apps on your phone that are draining your memory.
    08-25-09 10:16 AM
    One way to know for certain if that's the problem is to use a stock wallpaper for a day and see what happens. If the battery still drains fast then I would look to an app problem.
    08-25-09 10:26 AM
    Copy it to device memory then.
    that would be ok but I like to change my wallpaper every couple days so its a little annoying to copy to device memory each time. i guess i just have to live with it...
    08-25-09 10:27 AM
    I highly doubt wallpaper is your issue. You've not said what OS you're on, and other critical battery replated troubleshooting details.
    08-25-09 10:32 AM
    im on the lastest OS (the 250 one) i updated it right after i got the phone. I also ensure I close my apps and i only have the 5 main apps open always(msg, phone, home screen, BB msg, and browser) I have been doing this since I got it. Its only been after adding the sd card that i have lost more battery.

Before I could get 3-4 days, now I get about 1.5 days
    08-25-09 11:09 AM
    im on the lastest OS (the 250 one) i updated it right after i got the phone. I also ensure I close my apps and i only have the 5 main apps open always(msg, phone, home screen, BB msg, and browser) I have been doing this since I got it. Its only been after adding the sd card that i have lost more battery.

Before I could get 3-4 days, now I get about 1.5 days
    Then consider yourself lucky. I only get a day. That is good battery life.
    08-25-09 11:12 AM
    Then consider yourself lucky. I only get a day. That is good battery life.
    really...I consider it pretty bad especially since the blackberry website says you should get 15 days of standby which is nowhere close to what I can get even before the memory card.
    08-25-09 11:24 AM
    If you get one day of battery life then I would consider that normal. Just charge your phone every single night and you don't have to worry about it. It is best for your battery anyway to be charged early and often.
    08-25-09 11:26 AM
    really...I consider it pretty bad especially since the blackberry website says you should get 15 days of standby which is nowhere close to what I can get even before the memory card.
    Keyword: Standby. Not normal use. I can get 15 days on standby. 1 day from normal use is good.
    08-25-09 11:42 AM
    Everyone should buy the cheap charger and extra battery, it changed my life. Well, my blackberry life.
    08-25-09 12:41 PM
    Everyone should buy the cheap charger and extra battery, it changed my life. Well, my blackberry life.
    And here I thought that the Blackberry actually changed your Blackberry life!

I have 3 batteries in total and a spare portable battery charger for the car as well so I can charge on the road!
    08-25-09 12:43 PM
    considering wallpapers don't take up that much room just transfer a few at a time to the device memory or like someone said use it for 2 days and see how it is with a stock one.

are you using an animated wallpaper? standard theme? try draining your battery until it dies then fully charging it and see if that fixes it. it requires very little battery to access the memory card for the wallpaper. since i believe it partitions a small space in device memory to store it but its not the whole file it still sources to the card. i might be mistaken but it could be possible.
    08-25-09 01:26 PM
    try draining your battery until it dies then fully charging it and see if that fixes it.
    That's horrible advice. Letting your battery drain until it dies will shorten the life of the battery. MOST people here know that.

DO NOT drain your battery until it dies. You will only hurt the battery longevity.
    08-25-09 01:28 PM
    SO get this.... the other day I left my phone on standby all day and had the ringers turned off.... and in about 15-16 hours it only drained 5%..... the equals 12.5 days..... that is amazing battery life.

I only normally get about 20 hours out of a charge... I use my phone a lot and have it set up to vibrate. I would say that myself, 3C, and aristle are the heaviest users and we make it happen. I have a charge on my desk at work and bed at home... my phone resides there during the day so I never run out of battery.

Keep those batteries charged, it is the best thing for the Lithium-Ion batteries. Dont let them run down all the way.

FYI The care and feeding of Li-Ion batteries | User Support | TechRepublic.com
    08-25-09 01:56 PM
    For one. You have to remember that this screen isn't static. Thus your device is rendering and processing non-stop to keep the image displayed. Generally the more generic - the less process power. The less of that the less battery used up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 02:05 PM
    SO get this.... the other day I left my phone on standby all day and had the ringers turned off.... and in about 15-16 hours it only drained 5%..... the equals 12.5 days..... that is amazing battery life.

I only normally get about 20 hours out of a charge... I use my phone a lot and have it set up to vibrate. I would say that myself, 3C, and aristle are the heaviest users and we make it happen. I have a charge on my desk at work and bed at home... my phone resides there during the day so I never run out of battery.

Keep those batteries charged, it is the best thing for the Lithium-Ion batteries. Dont let them run down all the way.

FYI The care and feeding of Li-Ion batteries | User Support | TechRepublic.com
    yep, have charge dock on my nightstand, charger for the car, and one here at the office.
    08-25-09 02:15 PM
    I have one in the car but I only use it in emergencies

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD