It seems that when I connect my Bold to my computer, the wallpaper changes back automatically to the one that came with the theme I'm using (djmarcox's today theme). Does anyone know if it's just a part of the Desktop Manager synchronization options or is it something else? How can I make the wallpaper stop changing by itself?
    11-07-08 07:19 PM
    I have the same problem on my phone but it goes back after I disconnect it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 08:53 PM
    Yeah, sometimes mine goes back too. Sometimes it doesn't though which is why I'm trying to figure out what's goin on.
    11-07-08 09:17 PM
    Its most likely because the wallpaper you are using is on your media card and you have mass storage mode enabled. You can move the image to the device memory and it should fix the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 10:09 PM
    ^^ Yep. When the SD card is mounted on the computer, the phone temporarily cannot access it.

So it's not really a problem to worry about.
    11-07-08 11:17 PM
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Mass storage mode is enabled, but I don't even have an SD card in my phone so the picture is definitely in the device memory (it's located in Device Memory/home/user/pictures). Should I put the .jpg I want to use as my wallpaper in another folder? Could it be something else?
    11-08-08 12:04 AM
    Its all good....no worries at ALL!
    11-08-08 12:04 AM
    Was this ever solved ? I am having a similar issue.

Thanks
    PEte
    11-20-08 10:46 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Mass storage mode is enabled, but I don't even have an SD card in my phone so the picture is definitely in the device memory (it's located in Device Memory/home/user/pictures). Should I put the .jpg I want to use as my wallpaper in another folder? Could it be something else?
    The 1GB internal storgae is not the same thing as Device Memory. When you plug the BB in and have MSM enabled it will see the 1GB the same way it sees a media card and not be able to access it.

Storing something on Device Memory means stroing it in the 128MB application memory.
    11-20-08 10:54 AM
    Pete - no it was not solved.

Kronk - but then when you disconnect the phone, shouldn't it switch back to the wallpaper that I had put on there? Also, it doesn't happen everytime. Sometimes it will switch back to my wallpaper on its own.
    11-20-08 11:01 AM
    Depends on when your device decides to update itself. Personally, my wallpaper has never changed when I plug it in. Didn't with my Curve, and doesn't with my Bold. Why? I'm not entirely sure, because my ringers all go back to default while plugged in. My settings look like this:

Media Card Support: ON
    Encryption Mode: NONE
    Mass Storage Mode Support: ON
    Auto Enable MSM when connected: YES
    11-20-08 11:07 AM
    Kronk, You mentioned above that the 1gb memory that shows up on the computer isn't the device memory ?
    When i plug the device with MSM enabled, i get two drives detected which are viewable, one thats 1gb and the other which is my SD memory card.

I'm confused now ?

Pete
    11-20-08 01:11 PM
    You're letting the semantics confuse you. Yes, it is memory that is stored on the device, so technically it is "device memory".

However, you have 128MB of device memory, or application memory if you will, where your OS and apps are installed and run from. That is the device memory I'm talking about.

Think of that 1GB of memory like a SD card you just can't remove. It's designed for file storage only, just like your media card. So if you store a file on the 1GB and you have Mass Storage Mode on, the computer will see that 1GB the same way it sees your SD card, which is why you get the two file windows that open. One is for your card, the other is for the 1GB storage. No window pops up for your application memory.

With MSM enabled, your BB will not be able to access either the media card or the 1GB internal storage, only what is stored in the 128MB application memory. This is why your wallpapers/ringers/whatever sometimes reset to default when you plug it in. They are no longer accessible by the device unless they remain in the buffer.
    Last edited by Kronk; 11-20-08 at 01:21 PM.
    11-20-08 01:18 PM
    Ok, so how do i send something to the application device memory like wallpaper or something ?
    Pete
    11-20-08 01:21 PM
    I'm not sure that you can on the Bold. The Curve had an menu option "Save to Device Memory" but the Bold doesn't seem to have that.
    11-20-08 01:26 PM
    In the media application, if i click explore and move up to the highest level, i see three directories. One is device memory, which is the built in 1gb you mention, then there is a memory card folder, then there is a folder called system.
    I am guessing the system folder is the so called application device memory you mentioned. Take a look, what do you think.
    Pete
    11-20-08 03:29 PM
    That's a good point, but those are read only directories and I can't seem to save anything there.
    11-20-08 03:36 PM
    For me inside the system folder there are a few files and a sample directory. I cant seem to copy anything to the sample directory but it will let u copy it to the system folder root.

Maybe this is what your talking about ?

Pete
    11-20-08 03:45 PM
    You're absolutely right! You can save an image there and set it as your home screen image.

I still wouldn't recommend doing this with more than 1-2 pictures though. That application memory is a precious thing and not worth wasting just so your wallpaper doesn't switch when you plug it in.

Still, it's good information to know. Thanks for the ideas Pasta.
    11-20-08 03:55 PM
    so what's the solution to the OP's problem? I'm having the same/similar issue.
    01-04-09 11:00 AM
    The only solution i have found is to put the one image you plan on using for your wallpaper in your system directory. It seems this directory doesn't get touched during syncs and therefore the image stays, when u want to change it just move another one there deleting the old to conserve system memory.

Thanks,
    Pete
    01-04-09 02:38 PM
    Ok, so how do i send something to the application device memory like wallpaper or something ?
    Pete
    Use mass storage mode on your PC and drag and drop from media card to device memory
    01-04-09 02:50 PM
    That actually does not work.

Putting the images on device memory will still cause it to disappear during sync or at least it has for me. The only way to transfer images to system memory for me has been to send it to device memory using mass storage or email and then manually move it on the phone to system memory using the media app.

Pete
    01-04-09 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD