I was wondering which chargers the storm 9530 faster the usb charger or the wall outlet charger. I think the wall outlet is faster what do you guys think?
    02-09-09 11:02 AM
    I have found no difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 11:27 AM
    Typically, the AC "wall charger" and DC chargers will charge the device faster. This is due to the limited capabilities in a USB cord and the amount and size of conductors in the cable.
    02-09-09 11:37 AM
    Defiantly the wall charger. The wall has a ton more volts and electrical currents running through it. The usb has the limit that is set to whatever the computer allows

02-09-09 11:39 AM
    Defiantly the wall charger. The wall has a ton more volts and electrical currents running through it. The usb has the limit that is set to whatever the computer allows

All usb is 5V, but more current typically means faster charge. A powered usb port on a computer is 5V @ 500mA while the oem charger is 5V @ 700mA.

So the oem wall charger is faster.

crackberrygus likes this.
    02-09-09 12:41 PM
    thanks great input i was just curious because it seemed to take longer to charge when hooked to my usb on my pc
    02-09-09 01:51 PM
    200 mA difference is not consequencial. I think it is a matters of minutes difference charging a small battery like in the BB. If we were talking RC batteries then the time difference would be greatly noticable.
    02-09-09 03:55 PM
    All usb is 5V, but more current typically means faster charge. A powered usb port on a computer is 5V @ 500mA while the oem charger is 5V @ 700mA.

So the oem wall charger is faster.

Where are you getting 700mA from? The AC adaptor for all Blackberries clearly states "Output: 0.5A"

Though I do agree that it appears to charge fast from the outlet and even of my users have told me the battery lasts longer on an AC charge.

*EDIT*
    My mistake. I just went into our storage room and plucked out about a dozen chargers. It seems like all the new chargers have either "0.5 or 0,5 A" output on them whereas the older ones range anywhere from 700 - 750mah.
    Last edited by fuzzby; 03-19-09 at 02:29 PM. Reason: updated info
    03-19-09 02:13 PM
    not to hijack the thread but i have a question... does it matter if you get a the blackberry charger or some 3rd party one?

any chance that the 3rd party one will mess up the battery? thanks
    03-19-09 02:21 PM
    i find that the wall charger charges the storm almost twice as fast
    03-19-09 02:29 PM
    not to hijack the thread but i have a question... does it matter if you get a the blackberry charger or some 3rd party one?

any chance that the 3rd party one will mess up the battery? thanks
    My experience is that if it's 3rd party and mentioned Blackberry it should be fine. I have noticed many devices that use Mini-USB ports that are not compatible with Blackberrys. Prime suspects are iPod chargers and Motorola devices. These guys do not use the standard USB pinouts.
    03-19-09 02:33 PM
    Where are you getting 700mA from? The AC adaptor for all Blackberries clearly states "Output: 0.5A"

Though I do agree that it appears to charge fast from the outlet and even of my users have told me the battery lasts longer on an AC charge.

*EDIT*
    My mistake. I just went into our storage room and plucked out about a dozen chargers. It seems like all the new chargers have either "0.5 or 0,5 A" output on them whereas the older ones range anywhere from 700 - 750mah.
    The BB charger that came with my Storm is 700 mah its the older chargers like the one from my 8830 that are 500 mah. I think you mixed up which chargers are newer.

The problem a lot of people have with USB charging is that all computers are not equal and some especially laptops don't put out enough current thru the USB port to properly charge the phone.
    Last edited by Sniperet; 03-19-09 at 02:59 PM.
    03-19-09 02:56 PM
    I bought this little thing a month ago and I love it!!!

TUMI > Mobile Power Pack > Electronics
    03-19-09 02:59 PM
    You must have the Blackberry drivers installed on the computer to have the full charging effect. Otherwise you may only get a half full battery.
    What I am trying to figure out is what 12v car charger works.
    I just got a 12v in, 5v 700ma output and it won't work. the charger indicator comes on then goes off after 10 seconds.
    06-21-09 08:42 PM
    they are all to slow when compared to other usb charger and phone combinations. for example the Moto z6c has a similar capacity battery. Its chager specifications are identical. It takes only 20 to 25 % of the amount of time to charge both with the wall charger and with the USB plugged into my computer. I have no idea why but this is true. I thought maybe the upgrade might improve the charging time but, it has not.
    06-21-09 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD