Also, test out all of the USB ports on the computer. Mine has 3 different ports. I was trying to charge my wife's curve and my tour at the same time and it didn't work, but when I unplugged one, then it started to charge no problem. I also have a mouse connected to my laptop and when I unplug the mouse, the Tour charges even faster.
    08-10-09 09:18 PM
    Wall Charger works great, Car charger works fine when phone

is turned off, but takes hours if at all if phone is on (2 diff

vehicles). USB doesn't work at all on my Dell Inspiron 5150

or my XPS 720 ....
    08-10-09 10:00 PM
    So, i had the same problem as the OP. you must have the Blackberry Desktop Manager to charge the phone from the USB cable. I hope this helps. I am having the charge issue with cheap car charger, the icon come on, but the batter stayes at the same percentage.
    09-14-09 02:29 PM
    On a PC you have to have DM installed or the phone won't charge properly or at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 03:52 PM
    I think this is a legitimate issue with the Tour. I went out of town this weekend and took the usb cable with a wall adapter on the usb end. I plugged it in the outlet at the hotel and the little lightning bolt (charging icon) appeared on the screen. It remained plugged up overnight and in the morning it hadn't charged a bit. My phone died shortly thereafter with a dead battery. I was pissed. It charges super fast in the charging pod and with a regular wall charger. So, it seems people are having issues charging thru the usb whether it is connected to a computer or a regular outlet.

09-14-09 04:03 PM
    30 posts, and no one did a prior search. The problem and solution have been posted several times.

It has to do with USB power saving turning off your USB hubs after a while. Here's how to disable USB power saving on XP (it is the same in Vista, btw):

1. Right-click 'My Computer' and click 'Properties'.
    2. Click the 'Hardware' tab, then click the 'Device Manager' button.
    3. In the Device Manager list, scroll down to your Universal Serial Bus Controllers, click the plus sign to expand them.
    4. Right-click your first USB Root Hub and click 'Properties'.
    5. Click the 'Power Management' tab.
    6. Look at the check box labeled 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. If it's checked, click the box to remove the check mark and click OK.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 for any and all remaining USB Root Hubs in your system, then close the Device Manager.

This will prevent the PC from turning off the power to your USB ports after x amount of time, which will not allow you to charge your BB (besides other things).
    09-14-09 04:07 PM
    30 posts, and no one did a prior search. The problem and solution have been posted several times.

It has to do with USB power saving turning off your USB hubs after a while. Here's how to disable USB power saving on XP (it is the same in Vista, btw):

3. In the Device Manager list, scroll down to your Universal Serial Bus Controllers, click the plus sign to expand them.
    6. Look at the check box labeled 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. If it's checked, click the box to remove the check mark and click OK.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 for any and all remaining USB Root Hubs in your system, then close the Device Manager.

This will prevent the PC from turning off the power to your USB ports after x amount of time, which will not allow you to charge your BB (besides other things).
    I guess YOU didn't read post #30 in which I state that the same thing is happening to me with the usb plugged into a wall outlet with a plug adaptor on the usb end. The lightning bolt shows indicating that it is plugged to external power and charging but it never charges. Any suggestions for me?
    09-15-09 10:47 PM
    I noticed the same thing...very little charging activity when I used a car plug to USB adapter...USB cable to Tour.

Also, last night I used a wall outlet Plantronics bluetooth headset charger that has the same micro usb plug. Lightning bolt shows, but it did not charge.

Then I noticed that the OEM wall charger has output of 5V, 700mA while the Plantronics only has 5V, 350mA.

I have seen some generic auto adapters that list only 250mA output (most of them don't even give this value). I'm guessing they wouldn't charge it (unless the phone was off).

I have no problem charging with my Dell Latitude E6500 USB (not using BB software)

Anyone have an OEM BB auto adapter...and does it list the current output?
    09-16-09 02:31 AM

I searched and found your recommendation/solution that you posted. I did all of steps above. My Tour worked fine and would hook up to my PC without any probs. I installed the 5.0 OS and since then all I get is the "USB charging current is not sufficient" error message. Like I said, I did not have this problem or error prior to install the 5.0 OS. I can't seem to figure out what is going on.
    09-30-09 04:57 PM
    I searched and found your recommendation/solution that you posted. I did all of steps above. My Tour worked fine and would hook up to my PC without any probs. I installed the 5.0 OS and since then all I get is the "USB charging current is not sufficient" error message. Like I said, I did not have this problem or error prior to install the 5.0 OS. I can't seem to figure out what is going on.
    I have 5.0 as well, but did not have issues charging it with the charging pod or an OEM charging cable. Well, scratch that - I am having a problem charging it with a car charger which is not an OEM (but I think it has to do with a car charger being a fleabay piece of c*** rather than anything else, since bending the cable near the charge slot allows the phone to charge). But - I was not having problems charging with it when I was running 4.7. Ordered an OEM car charger. Coincidence or not? It is possible that 5.0 upgrade made voltage requirements more strict, but it is also possible it is an OS installation bug. Would wipe and reinstall OS if it was happening to me.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 09-30-09 at 06:58 PM.
    09-30-09 06:53 PM
    I was afraid someone would say to just wipe and reinstall. Do you think if I wipe it that then when I plug it into my PC to install the OS again that my pc will recognize it? Because what will happen if I wipe it and still cant connect my BB to my pc? I just dont want to damage it and turn it into a "brick".
    09-30-09 07:02 PM
    I guess YOU didn't read post #30 in which I state that the same thing is happening to me with the usb plugged into a wall outlet with a plug adaptor on the usb end. The lightning bolt shows indicating that it is plugged to external power and charging but it never charges. Any suggestions for me?
    I did read your post and have a suggestion for you: check the voltage specs on your USB wall plug - is it a high-voltage plug or not? Does your Tour charge with an OEM cable (let me make a prediction: it does). There's your solution My (high powered) Apple USB wall plug which I also use to charge my iPhone, combined with BB USB cable chages my 5.0 Tour just fine (battery bars # increases as it would with BB dock) as I write this. EDIT: just charged my phone to capacity.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 09-30-09 at 07:52 PM.
    09-30-09 07:02 PM
    I was afraid someone would say to just wipe and reinstall. Do you think if I wipe it that then when I plug it into my PC to install the OS again that my pc will recognize it? Because what will happen if I wipe it and still cant connect my BB to my pc? I just dont want to damage it and turn it into a "brick".
    Before you wipe - does your Tour charge with an OEM BB wall charger? The culprit could be a low-power USB port or USB wall plug that is not delivering enough voltage to the phone.
    09-30-09 07:04 PM
    Even though several days old, I thought I'd offer my experience...

My major problem is with the DC (car) charger. On most occasions, it won't charge my Tour (original official OS), and it IS the OEM DC charger. Sometimes it charges, but most, it will just show the lightening bolt, and the percentage will never move.

Every USB port I've plugged into, has charged my phone regardless of if I had DM installed or not. Wall charger is fine as well. I'm a believer it's the phone that is the source of the problem, not the USB power/ports...

Just my .02
    10-06-09 07:03 AM
    It seems that my car chargers are only enough to sustain the tour so that it doesnt lose any more battery. Charging on my computers takes a really long time.
    10-06-09 07:14 AM
    I have a similar issue on my Storm as well. It's not every time and a battery pull fixes it. Seems mostly on the USB to the computer but I think it did it once or twice in the wall. Both chargers are OEM.
    10-06-09 02:38 PM
    I finally got my OEM car charger (bought from Overstock.com so it's legit) and it is not charging the Tour - at all. No lightning bolt, no nothing. The non-OEM charger seems to work occasionally, when I kink the cable just right. Phone charges OK with the charging pod or wall charger.

I'm beginning to suspect it has something to do with 5.0.238 hybrid that I am running.
    10-06-09 03:50 PM
    I had this same problem with my ebay USB *car* charger. It would charge the phone to about 75% and then the lightning bolt would disappear and it would not charge any more. If I ran down the battery and plugged it in, it would charge to that point and then stop again.

The charger says "MAX: 1000mA"... so I assumed this was enough for the Tour. However, something is amiss. Maybe the cheapy USB chargers from the orient simply do not put out nearly 1000mA.
    11-02-09 03:59 AM
    The simplest of solutions folks.......

Use the AC rated wall charger it came with. I have yet to have an issue doing that and I have an extended 2600 mAh battery on mine utilizing the charging pod as well. It charges flawlessly and I only have to do that about every 5 days with heavy use. Even if you don't opt for the battery or charging pod, there is far too much that can go wrong the way some of you are doing this.
    11-02-09 06:36 AM
    actually, it may also have to do with the OS. Since downgrading to 4.7, I had no issues charging using OEM chargers or non-OEM chargers.
    11-02-09 07:44 AM
    Use the AC rated wall charger it came with.
    Thanks for the non-help!
    11-02-09 01:55 PM
    Last night I had this same problem using the OEM wall charger. I then plugged it into a different charger, the one that came with my Plantronics Bluetooth. Same thing. So, I plugged it back into the OEM and wiggled the cable a bit, still no go. Unplugged it once again and plugged it back in, and it worked.

I get the impression that this is a software issue, not a "real" hardware issue.

The ratings on a wall wart, like xxV and xxxmA can be confusing. A device will draw as much current (milliamps) as it needs. The mA rating is the maximum that a device (wall wart) will or can provide. The limiting factor is the design of the charger, both it's physical construction and the hardware built into it to protect it from trying to provide too much current that would damage the charger.

If your device (phone) wants 300mA, it doesn't matter if you have a 300mA charger or 1000mA. The phone will draw as much as it needs. Wall warts have very poor voltage regulation and as the draw increases (mA) the voltage will fall. Usually they will start out at a lot higher voltage than the rated voltage and when the current draw begins, the voltage falls to the rated value, by design. So, if you plug a phone into a device (low current wall wart or usb port) the current might be limited or the voltage might drop too low to charge the phone.

Now, with a charger/wall wart that is of sufficient capacity in mA and E (voltage) there is no reason for the phone to report insufficient current.

That's why I think this is not a hardware issue, but rather something else.
    11-03-09 08:26 AM
    Yeah. I'm starting to have this issue about 50/50 with m� tour.....had 5 so far and this is the onl� one doing it. Normally I can do a battpul l and it'll start charging again. Thinking about wiping the phone and reloading to see if that helps at all.

11-03-09 09:19 AM
    I am having this problem as well but I just take the usb out and replug it to the pc and it works ok..

Its a random thing for me..

I'm running the 5.0 DM and .230 os.. Could that be the culprit?

11-03-09 10:40 AM
    I think it might be .230. Not entirely sure though. It does it on my usb cable on all 3 of my comps and both BB branded wall chargers that I have.

11-03-09 10:45 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD