I took an awesome black & white pic with my Storm and wanted to set is as my wallpaper. But I can't seem to get it to display on the main screen. All I get is a black screen. I've tried taking other b&w pics and still won't display. Even tried it with sepia tone and won't work. But the pics I took with normal tone work. Is it only my Storm that does this, or can anyone else confirm? Might not be a big deal to some of you but this is really bugging me!

BTW I'm running .114 w/ .113 stuff. That could be the problem?
    03-13-09 10:31 AM
    Not sure if this is the same issue, but I had modified a photo in Photoshop and it wouldn't even open on the storm. Then I found out it was because I modified it in CMYK mode and it needed to be saved in RGB mode. Maybe try converting the image?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 10:39 AM
    zoomzoom9 is prolly right. You need to make the image RGB which is the mode a color screen uses to display an image. If there is only grayscale info in the image file, then there is no info to render it in on a color screen. Open your grayscale image in photoshop or other image editing program, change the mode to RGB (red/green/blue) and that should work, even tho the image is a grayscale image. Changing the mode will not affect the image. Might make the file size a bit bigger.

Hope this helps.
    03-13-09 10:51 AM
    mine posted just fine. im running .109 dont have enough info on .114 yet.
    03-13-09 10:54 AM
    Thanks, I'll try the RGB method. Ugh more extra steps though
    03-13-09 11:04 AM
    u gotta do whatcha gotta do!
    Grayscale images are not for color screens.
    03-13-09 12:01 PM
    So all of you are saying that the Storm has the ability to take a picture that is not compatible with itself?

I'm afraid I have to call BS ladies and gents. I think the OP has a seperate issue.

I can take B&W pictures all day long and set them as my BG. Maybe it's theme related or OS version related, but the phone is not capable of taking a picture that it cannot display.
    03-13-09 01:05 PM
    I didn't know it could take grayscale photos... I'll have to look into that.
    03-13-09 01:32 PM
    Yes I just took a B&W image and made it as my BG. That is possible. However I emailed the image to myself and opened on my computer in photoshop. That same B&W image may display as grayscale but it is RGB mode as the camera took it. So what we mentioned earlier, saving the image as RGB is the answer to making it show up as BG.

So I went back and re-read her earlier post about making the B&W image show up as BG. Since it is already an RGB image as the camera took it, it should be able to be her BG. It might be an OS issue as lucidot points out.
    Last edited by motrv8d; 03-13-09 at 01:46 PM.
    03-13-09 01:43 PM
    I don't have any 3rd party themes on my phone, it must be an issue with my phone, because I've tried it w/ .109, .114, and .113/.114. Oh well.
    03-13-09 02:55 PM
    I'm assuming it's just B&W pictures that won't work, correct?

Color pictures you take will set as BG just fine?

I guess it could be an issue with your SD card and the pics being corrupt. Try saving the pictures to the phone memory instead of the media card and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I would take the phone back for a replacement.
    03-13-09 03:05 PM
    I tried moving the pic to the phone memory, still won't work. Yes, color pics will set as BG, but not B&W/sepia.

I uploaded the photo to Flickr, and went to it, saved it and was able to set it as a wallpaper. I guess I'll just have to do that. I really don't feel like going to VZW to get a replacement.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    03-13-09 03:45 PM
    don't know why you had the trouble. I was able to take a B&W photo, and save it as my wallpaper.
    I'm still running .75, so OS might be the culprit, not themes.
    03-13-09 05:09 PM
    I took an awesome black & white pic with my Storm and wanted to set is as my wallpaper. But I can't seem to get it to display on the main screen. All I get is a black screen. I've tried taking other b&w pics and still won't display. Even tried it with sepia tone and won't work. But the pics I took with normal tone work. Is it only my Storm that does this, or can anyone else confirm? Might not be a big deal to some of you but this is really bugging me!

BTW I'm running .114 w/ .113 stuff. That could be the problem?
    I am currently running the .113/.114 hybrid as well and it doesn't seem to have any problem on my end. Can you change your display pic at all?
    03-19-09 11:50 AM
    I uploaded the photo to Flickr, and went to it, saved it and was able to set it as a wallpaper. I guess I'll just have to do that. I really don't feel like going to VZW to get a replacement.
    If this is an actual issue, it's not hardware related so a replacement device won't fix it. If others verify this problem, it's a software related bug, there's no hardware component in your Storm that would be responsible for this problem so don't bother going to VZW and trying to exchange it.
    03-19-09 12:15 PM
    Hm, I just tested it right now.

Took a B&W picture and was able to set it as my homescreen. I'm on .99
    03-19-09 12:18 PM
    there was a thread about this a week ago. if the photo is in bw coding vs. color coding is the difference. there are color gradient pix that only have black and white colors, but they're saved in a color gradient file type. im not no photog, but i read about it on da internets.
    03-19-09 12:20 PM
    I am running .109/.114 on mine. I just took a B&W photo with the camera and set it as my background. I wow have to go with it being a theme issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 12:22 PM
    Ok, people, you need to stop taking B/W photos with your cameras and then setting as wallpaper and suggesting there is no problem. You are missing the fundamentals of the issue at hand.

The issue has been put forth that if an image is CMYK mode then it cannot be read by the Storm hence it cannot be set as a background. If it is in RGB mode, then it is "fine". It is indeed possible to have a B/W RGB-mode image since it is just the image lacking saturation. On the Storm, a B/W taken with the phone's camera is already in RGB mode and thus it will load in the phone regardless of its saturation level.

However if the OS is unable to decode CMYK mode images, since they operate under a different color space than RGB, then the phone will not load those images at all.

OP, try to open the image using just the photo browser and see if it works. I think you may find that the image cannot be read, which is why it cannot be set as a wallpaper.
    Last edited by mdude85; 03-19-09 at 12:41 PM.
    03-19-09 12:38 PM
    Ok, people, you need to stop taking B/W photos with your cameras and then setting as wallpaper and suggesting there is no problem. You are missing the fundamentals of the issue at hand.

The issue has been put forth that if an image is CMYK mode then it cannot be read by the Storm hence it cannot be set as a background. If it is in RGB mode, then it is "fine". It is indeed possible to have a B/W RGB-mode image since it is just the image lacking saturation. On the Storm, a B/W taken with the phone's camera is already in RGB mode and thus it will load in the phone regardless of its saturation level.

However if the OS is unable to decode CMYK mode images, since they operate under a different color space than RGB, then the phone will not load those images at all.

OP, try to open the image using just the photo browser and see if it works. I think you may find that the image cannot be read, which is why it cannot be set as a wallpaper.

the original poster took the b&w picture with the phone.

perhaps the OP should backup, wipe and reload the OS.
    03-19-09 01:28 PM
    the original poster took the b&w picture with the phone.

perhaps the OP should backup, wipe and reload the OS.
    Well then I have no idea
    03-19-09 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD