So, I've had my Tour for around 8 to 9 months now. its worked pretty well overall. I put it in a Seidio innocase right when I got it and got the matching dock so I can charge it in the case.

About 2 weeks ago, it just wouldn't charge on the dock anymore. I can plug it in, and it charges fine.
    Noone else I know has a Tour so I can't see if theirs will charge on my dock. I can only say that the dock hasn't left my end table in months, hasn't been dropped, and likely isn't the issue.

Has anyone else had this happen on the Tour?
    I'm less than 1 yr with the Tour, but I've NEVER bought the insurance through Verizon. Do, I have ANY recourse here?

I believe the last time I investigated the coverage, I understood that there was nearly no reason to have insurance becasue the phone has a year warranty from the manuf, but I must go through Verizon to do anything.

I wanna have my ducks in a row before going forward.

I also bought the phone on my Amex bluecash which extends my warranties up to an additional year, so if I can find documentation that the phone has a year warranty with RIM, then in another couple months I can make a claim on my AMEX, of course they would only cover what I paid for it which I believe was 100, or maybe 150 as far my card charges show.

Not sure which way to go with this.
    If there is something I can take apart and fix inside, I'm not against attempting that but I dunno what it could be.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    05-10-10 03:22 PM
    I found a copy of the RIM warranty online.

The way I read it, I can take my tour to the Verizon store and they will replace it (with a refurb one I'm sure).

It doesn't say there should be any charge but I'm guessing they would try to charge me something.
    05-10-10 09:52 PM
    I tried a seidio charging dock and as soon as I plugged it in the port broke off inside the charging unit. I sent support an email to get a replacement and they stared talking RMA procedures and I figure with the hassle and shipping to get stuff exchanged I would just let them keep my money and learn my lesson.
    I would blame the dock before the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-10 04:37 AM
    From everything you described, it sounds like your problem is the charging dock. You even said that if you plug the wall charger in the phone charges. That being the case, why are you talking warranty on the phone and returning for a replacement? You aren't making any sense. The charging pod stopped working so you want to replace the phone. Do you honestly think if you replace the phone the charging pod will miraculously start working again? I hope when the batteries die in your flashlight, you don't go out and buy a new flashlight and then put the dead batteries in the new flashlight expecting it to work.
    05-11-10 05:45 AM
    Ok, I can understand why you guys posted your responses as such.

Maybe I'm off base here, but this was my process.

I assumed Seidio was a quality brand. Since this dock cost me almost 30 bucks, I assumed it would be.

The dock sits on my end table, and never moves, never gets pulled off the table, wires never jerked by a passing foot, nothing. It just sits there.

The phone however, is with me all the time, I've dropped it a few times, kicked it by accident once, fallen from my pocket, etc etc.

So, I ASSUMED the phone was most likely internally damaged in a way that allowed the charge port to work, but not the pads on the back.

I DO know what ASSUME does. lol

So, maybe I need to back up. I dunno anyone with a Tour, so maybe I'll just take my dock to a VZN store and see if I can just see if another Tour will sit there and charge or not.
    05-11-10 07:20 AM
    Try bending the 2 gold prongs on the charging dock down a bit. Be careful not to bend them to far or they will snap off. One or both of them might not be making contact with the contacts on the phone. Hope it works.
    05-11-10 07:21 AM
    Try finding someone with another dock to see if your phone charges.

Seidio has a reputation for iffy quality, so I'd bet money on the dock being bad.
    05-11-10 07:25 AM
    I would not bend the contacts. You might take a little sand paper and rub the contacts. I had that problem with my Treo as the contacts had gotten a little corroded but I could not see the change in color.
    05-11-10 07:29 AM
    Wow you guys are confused. rhizzlebop use common sense .
    Call seidio tech support and they wiill run u thru it. That a side here
    the fix is to just bend the two contacts outwardly towards the side all fixied. Sandpaper!! bad phone!! maybe it because of the oil slick in the gulf.
    05-11-10 07:47 AM
    I don't know about using Sandpaper .. ?? I clean my contacts with a slightly damp Alcohol Prep Swab .. That said, I would also contact the company

Good Luck
    05-11-10 07:56 AM
    Have you changed the theme on your Tour?

I know this may sound crazy, but I had the same problem with my RIM OEM charging dock. Like you, the Tour would charge just fine via USB. I tried battery pulls, cleaning the connections on the Tour and on the dock, etc., etc. I have two docks and had the same problem on both. Nothing worked.

I realized that the problem started when I downloaded and used a new theme, so out of desperation I deleted the theme, did a battery pull, switched to one of the stock VZW themes, and everything worked again. I was then able to switch to another theme (not the original trouble-maker) and all has been well since.

I can't explain it, but it was the theme that messed it up for me.
    05-11-10 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD