Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Otterbox Impact

10 32.26%
  • Otterbox Defender

17 54.84%
  • Other

4 12.90%
    I just got a new Tour and wanted to start looking at cases. Let me start by saying I have looked at many of the other threads but wanted something more direct. I am outdoors a lot in Law Enforcement and need something strong. My previous phone was the Casio G'Zone (that unbreakable one).

I have looked at the Otterbox Impact and Defender series. I like the Impact because it is a little slimmer but are there any holsters that fit with it? I like the Defender because it seems like it would hold up better for me and has a holster but seems very bulky.

I could use a lot of help here. I want something strong for drops, impacts, etc, but I also use a holster. On the other side I can't always where my holster at work and have to put it in a cargo pocket. I've read problems with small usb ports and echoing.

I really don't know which route to take and could use any advice that the crackberry users could provide. Also if there were any better solutions please let me know.

Thanks Everyone
    08-19-09 12:21 AM
    Sorry, I cant weigh in from personal experience but I'm leaning towards the Otterbox Defender. Very curious for additional first hand info though.
    08-19-09 12:40 AM
    Defender all the way for ya. Hands down. It's the best case w/ holster that I've ever had. Rugged as heck. If you get one and don't like it, PM me and I'll buy it from you and pay for shipping!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 01:12 AM
    Defender all the way for ya. Hands down. It's the best case w/ holster that I've ever had. Rugged as heck. If you get one and don't like it, PM me and I'll buy it from you and pay for shipping!

Danoh since you love it so much could you tell me how much bigger it makes the phone? Does it turn it into a brick? If you could possibly give me some dimension I think that would be a very big help. Thanks.
    08-19-09 01:25 AM
    It adds some bulk. When I get into the office I'll weigh it and measure it and report back.

08-19-09 01:27 AM
    Alright, here we go! *rubs hands together*

The Tour itself weighs 4.5 ounces and is 0.6 inches thick, 4.4 inches long and 2.4 inches wide.

The Tour with the Otterbox defender on it weighs 6.4 ounces and is 0.85 inches thick (without holster attached), 4.75 inches long and 2.85 inches wide.

I took some crude photos of my Tour in the Otterbox, which can be found by clicking here
    08-19-09 02:05 AM
    I had an Otterbox defender for my Pearl. It made nearly idestructable and waterproof as you can get. After two years of use, my Pearl still looked brand new. I purchased one for my Tour from Buy.com for $29.99 w/free shipping. I have read that there are some people that are having issues with plugging in the charger after putting on the Otterbox, but mine fits perfectly. I just deal with the little bit of bulk in trade for the protection.
    Last edited by AceZ71; 08-19-09 at 10:18 AM.
    08-19-09 07:47 AM
    I have the Defender. It does make the phone more bulky, but that's not too much of an issue with me. The biggest thing for me is that I don't feel like I have to worry about being too careful with it -- the protection is really that good. I used to be really careful of pocketing the phone and what else I had in my pocket. I was very careful handling it as to not drop it or bang it against something. Now, I don't worry about that at all. The piece of mind that the case gives me is well worth the price.

Just for quick measurements ... I've got 2.8" wide, 4.7" tall, 0.8" thick.
    08-19-09 08:12 AM
    I am all excited to get mine today.

08-19-09 08:38 AM
    I say defender. Nothing protects like it. It is a little bulky but it does the job.

The impact looks nice but in my opinion if you really need the protection go defender. Especially if you are outdoors a lot and work in law enforcement.

Also, the sleeper function of the defender is very nice.
    Last edited by HeroBerry; 08-19-09 at 09:04 AM.
    08-19-09 09:01 AM
    Otterbox Defender by far!!!
    08-19-09 09:13 AM
    Alright, here we go! *rubs hands together*

The Tour itself weighs 4.5 ounces and is 0.6 inches thick, 4.4 inches long and 2.4 inches wide.

The Tour with the Otterbox defender on it weighs 6.4 ounces and is 0.85 inches thick (without holster attached), 4.75 inches long and 2.85 inches wide.

I took some crude photos of my Tour in the Otterbox, which can be found by clicking here
    Thank you very much danoh for providing these great details. It really helps make my decision.

Another question that was brought to my attention. How well does your phone vibrate with all that cushion? Can you feel it if it is in a pocket or on the holster?
    08-19-09 12:01 PM
    IMHO it has little or no effect on the amount of vibration, if anything I feel that it may intensify it a little.
    08-19-09 01:43 PM
    the defender looks more reliable and sturdy to me
    08-19-09 01:44 PM
    I bought the Impact and love it. A little bit thicker than your cheapy silicone cases and a perfect fit. I was thinking of getting the Defender but read many reviews about signal loss and trouble plugging stuff into it. I think either way you go Otterbox is top of the line. Quality is great and the Impact enhances and protects your BB.

08-19-09 02:08 PM
    As I type this I am looking at my Tour wrapped in a Defender. I just got it about a week ago and love it. The 3 layers of protection are great, although I only use two, I did not put the cover on over the keys. I am a police officer also and feel better knowing that it is protected more. Otterbox is going to make holster for it that has a bigger clip to fit a duty belt soon. When I ordered mine it was not available yet.
    As for the bulk, it isn't that much bigger and I like it better, there is more to hold onto now.

Get it, you won't be sorry.

Be Safe.
    08-19-09 02:57 PM
    Why didn't you put on the keyboard cover?
    08-19-09 07:14 PM
    i had the first gen batch of defenders and got sent the impact for free and since then i havent used my defender lol which was purchased first. The impact is nice easy to take on off came with screen guard and less hassle even though when i will need to the defender will come in handy great sturdy case love both
    08-19-09 07:27 PM
    I just got my otterbox defender tonight. Boy am I glad I did. If you order from the website use code ces2009 for 10% off your order. I also got a waterproof case for camping to get free shipping. So far I can recommend this case. I heard nothing but good things about them as compared to the innocase360. It makes my phone much better to hold and I can confidently use my berry as my mp3 player.

One thing. Read he instructions in the inside leaflet. The berry goes into the face(with the screencover) first. I had to redo it. And tossing away the verizon privacy protector was a plus. No more squiggly lines! Stop reading this and order it. It is solid and will protect your baby for a long time. For a lifetime according to otterbox.

08-19-09 09:40 PM
    I ordered one Monday after watching a guy drop his i-phone 4 foot onto a tile floor. He picked up his phone and put it in his pocket. After a little hands on, I was sold! I ordered a defender. I'm looking forward to having it..
    08-19-09 10:02 PM
    Well it sounds like Defender has it and 13 votes on the poll. There are still 9 for Impact and 3 for other although I don't know what they are. I want to thank everyone for there time and effort getting this great information and helping such a newbie make what sounds like the right choice.
    08-20-09 05:33 AM
    I got the Impact yesterday and will be sending it back. Its nothing more than a glorified skin........I would say go with the Defender.
    08-20-09 05:47 AM
    the impact is great if you want some decent protection and it certainly looks much slimmer than the defender.
    08-20-09 08:53 AM
    Ordered my Defender yesterday, should be here Monday.
    08-20-09 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD