Thought I had saved of few bucks when I found that the Torch seemed to fit alright into my 9700 holster.

Problem is, the, the in-holster vs. out-of-holster differentiation of alerts and other functions (like automatically connecting a call if I select that option) doesn't work.

As far as I can tell, the sensor or magnet or whatever it is in the 9700 holster is in the wrong position.

I can't be the only who noticed this, but I thought I would share this anyway.

FWIW, I found that when I pull the Torch slightly out of the holster so as to ensure the phone is in "sleep" mode, the in-holster specific features work fine. Shoved in, the display lights up, and the features don't apply.

Just FYI. I have the solution--get a proper Torch holster.
    10-20-10 10:10 PM
    Yah I used my 9700 holster for a few days before grabbing the proper one - and the screen unlocking was brutal. I accidentally sent Several mms pictures in text messages haha. I'm glad I didn't have any incriminating photos on my Torch...yet lol. 9800 holster is sleeker and covers the bottom corners better anyways, I'm really glad I got it!
    10-20-10 10:29 PM
    I too used my 9700 holster until the OEM holster was released first on this site but no major issues as in previous post.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-10 06:30 AM
    non sense, works great, moved the magnet from the corner to the middle of the holster and works like a charm
    10-21-10 10:10 AM
    I had the same problem with the holster for the 9700. I was getting annoyed with having to hit the lock button after sliding it in. Also had issue with phone locking up when I received a phone call while in the holster. Touchscreen would work but all face keys stopped. Received the OEM holster in the mail on Tuesday works like a charm and doesn't lock up after taking the phone out to answer the phone. Not sure of the build quality of the holster but now I have eliminated most of my issues loving this phone more and more.
    10-21-10 10:15 AM
    I have a 9000 holder kicking around and even though the fit isn't as snug the in-holster/out-of-holster alert differentiation now works.

@elmejor1009, where is this magnet and how does one move it? I can't feel anything near the edges....
    10-21-10 11:24 AM
    I have a 9000 holder kicking around and even though the fit isn't as snug the in-holster/out-of-holster alert differentiation now works.

@elmejor1009, where is this magnet and how does one move it? I can't feel anything near the edges....
    The magnet works in the 9000 case if you put the 9800 in up side down. The only problem is that you won't see the LED.
    10-21-10 11:37 AM

You have to peel the liner of the holster (the inner part) and you'll see it. Search for it, there's pictures here in another write up. Peel the bottom of the liner and move the magnet, then super glue it back together.
    10-21-10 12:29 PM
    Steve Rizla, the magnet works fine in the 9000 case just with putting the phone in the normal way. Are you talking some other case? The upside down trick does NOT work with the 9700 case.

elmejor2009, I will look for those disassembly instructions. The inner liner is well sewn and my 9700 case is like new and offers a snug fit (which is why I would love to recycle it), so I will only do this if I can learn not to wreck the thing.

I am guess that the magnet that puts the phone to sleep and the magnet that closes the case are NOT the same?

Les
    10-21-10 09:17 PM
    Hey I got a 9300 case works great ...19.99 at FS they will give it to you at that price trust me.
    10-21-10 09:26 PM
    I use my 9000 holster, and I just have to put the torch in upside down
    10-21-10 09:34 PM
    You spend from $199 - $399 USD for a device and you can't bring yourself to spend $25 for a case or holster? To each his own I guess.
    10-21-10 09:38 PM
    Just havent ordered it yet, better to use an old one to keep it safe, dont want to spend another 200 on a new torch
    10-21-10 09:43 PM
    What is stopping you?
    10-21-10 09:49 PM
    Nothin really, just havent got around to it yet
    10-22-10 09:56 PM
    You spend from $199 - $399 USD for a device and you can't bring yourself to spend $25 for a case or holster? To each his own I guess.
    You can even do better than that. I got an OEM holster on Amazon Marketplace (not Amazon itself) for $9.99. I think the reason it was so cheap is that in one corner they used a small piece of red thread rather than black when sewing it together. Not at all a noticeable defect.
    10-22-10 11:47 PM
    From what I've seen, the red thread is not a defect, but the styling of the new case. You just got good deal. I've seen them on Ebay for around that price as well. Paying $20.00+ for a case is just not practical when you can get the same case for less.
    11-27-10 07:14 AM
    You can even do better than that. I got an OEM holster on Amazon Marketplace (not Amazon itself) for $9.99. I think the reason it was so cheap is that in one corner they used a small piece of red thread rather than black when sewing it together. Not at all a noticeable defect.
    They all have that red thread in the top stitch. It's not a defect, you just got a super good deal.

Bought mine on amazon for 15.99$. OEM leather pocket pouch, don't like the belt clip style cases, held out until they released just a pouch.

You know every berry I have ever bought came with a pouch. kinda sad that RIM's flagship device didn't at the very least come with either a cheap screen protector or cheap pouch.
    11-27-10 07:21 AM
    I ordered my Torch over the phone and added a case at the same time. When they came it was a case for a Curve 8520/8900. Have been using it without issue for a week now.
    11-27-10 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD