I have noticed something every interesting while I was shrinking my OS.

The size of the OS 5 ringtones COD is around 3 MB!!!

I was shocked to see that, I didn't expect it would consume so much of space.

So my advice, to those who care alot about memory especially that the 9700 has limited memory after the installation of OS 6, then I advice you not to install the OS 5 ringtones unless you really can't live without them.

I personally use my own tones and even though I have 512 MB on my 9780, chose not to install them after knowing this.

Cheers

Matrix Leader
    01-26-11 06:34 AM

So my advice, to those who care alot about memory especially that the 9700 has limited memory after the installation of OS 6, then I advice you not to install the OS 5 ringtones unless you really can't live without them.

I personally use my own tones and even though I have 512 MB on my 9780, chose not to install them after knowing this.

Cheers

Matrix Leader
    Good information to know man. Thank you!
    01-26-11 06:48 AM

Cheers

Matrix Leader
    I have 100MB File Free after shrink and install. 3mb isnt much, since the allotted memory for running the device vs storage are actually different allocations.

What if we shrink out the OS6 tones and replace them with the OS5 tones? wait? genius? Voila? i know i know

please stay out of the 9700 forums, as you have slandered the device too many times to be welcome here (and yes I have those closed/delete threads saved)

And we dont care WTF you do with your 9780... so again please leave these innocent users who have suffered your garbage long enough.

Thank you
    Fubaz
    ridesno159 likes this.
    01-26-11 06:51 AM
    Wait how low is your memory? The first OS 6 I did on my 9330 I dropped to 272mbs and that was with the OS 5 ringtones. I loaded VZW .431 last night w/out OS 5 ringtones and it was 289mbs then after loading OS 5 ringtones it went down to 284mbs, so I have to say that I couldn't live with my BB if I couldn't get OS 5 tones back bc OS 6 has the crappest tones I've ever heard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 06:54 AM
    Wait how low is your memory? The first OS 6 I did on my 9330 I dropped to 272mbs and that was with the OS 5 ringtones. I loaded VZW .431 last night w/out OS 5 ringtones and it was 289mbs then after loading OS 5 ringtones it went down to 284mbs, so I have to say that I couldn't live with my BB if I couldn't get OS 5 tones back bc OS 6 has the crappest tones I've ever heard.
    I have 278 MB free with about 15 apps installed.
    01-26-11 06:58 AM
    I have 278 MB free with about 15 apps installed.
    Well that's not bad bc I have maybe 3 apps if that many. So I would still think you would be safe to run OS 5 tones.

01-26-11 07:12 AM
    Well that's not bad bc I have maybe 3 apps if that many. So I would still think you would be safe to run OS 5 tones.
    Yeah but dude, you and I have devices which have 512 MB of memory so we're fine.

I am talking about the 9700 users who have only 256 MB of memory

This doesn't concern the 9800, 9780, 9330, 9650

Only concerns the 9700 and 9300
    01-26-11 07:14 AM
    Why no reply to me?

GTFO ML
    It isnt a concern what so ever for 9700 users.
    Keep your garbage out of this forum!
    You are testing my patience.
    01-26-11 07:16 AM
    Sorry Fubaz, I am unable to see your messages as you are on my ignore list
    01-26-11 07:20 AM
    Yeah, it is a large file. but if you remove the fonts that're 3, 2 and 5MB, it'll be a singe to keep them. i have 58MB after getting OS 6 on my 9700. only the apps i need and it's cool. i love the extra ring tones and alerts. props to ML.

01-26-11 10:04 AM
    props to ML.

Thank you man
    01-26-11 10:43 AM
    I just compared file sizes, and the OS5 ringtones are about 1MB smaller a file than the OSicks. Seems you'd want to install the OS5 to save file free space.
    01-26-11 11:30 AM
    I just compared file sizes, and the OS5 ringtones are about 1MB smaller a file than the OSicks. Seems you'd want to install the OS5 to save file free space.

Ohh are they? I thought that when you install OS 5 ringtones, that's an additional 3 MB not a substitute to a somewhat larger file?

This is confusing, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't installing OS 5 files also leave the OS 6 ringtones intact? isn't that like double usage of space for the built in tones?
    01-26-11 11:43 AM
    Ohh are they? I thought that when you install OS 5 ringtones, that's an additional 3 MB not a substitute to a somewhat larger file?

This is confusing, correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't installing OS 5 files also leave the OS 6 ringtones intact? isn't that like double usage of space for the built in tones?
    It is possible to delete the CODs for the OS 6 ringtones and import the CODs for the OS 5 ringtones.
    01-26-11 12:00 PM
    It is possible to delete the CODs for the OS 6 ringtones and import the CODs for the OS 5 ringtones.
    Thanks for the clarification Laura
    01-26-11 12:07 PM
    If that little bit of memory is that important to you then why not go here http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ho...9800-a-512846/ and use the first option? You can install the ones you want and they will take up no app memory because they are on the media card. You can keep the OS 6 ones too.
    ast_ph likes this.
    01-26-11 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD