In considering getting an otterbox, I've been reading about a "membrane" - curious as to the function of this piece and wondering if the case will still work without it. Does it cover the keys or just the screen?
    07-13-08 06:14 PM
    I highly recommend it. The membrane covers the screen, the keys, the camera, etc. The only thing not covered by the membrane is the trackball. If you choose not to use the membrane the case still works, I think its just a little loose in the hard plastic case....I think you can feel it move around a little. The membrane is good to protect the screen from scratches and keep dust and dirt from getting into the phone in any way (through keys, ear piece, microphone, etc)
    07-13-08 06:42 PM
    I also recommend the otterbox. I am not extremely hard on my phone, but I wanted something to protect it completely. I tried the rubber case that leaves the front open, but it just didn't do the trick. The otterbox really makes it complete. It makes the phone comfortable to hold and the holster works great.

As oops956 said, the membrane covers everything except the trackball and the sides of the phone. The case takes care of the sides and the only "exposed" part is the trackball. The only things that might turn someone off of the membrane is the keyboard cover and the fact that it can make the screen a little less clear. I got used to both quickly and the more time you take in putting the membrane over the screen, the better off you will be. The keyboard cover just makes the feel very different. The thickness of the case will change the way you type on it also. It is a little deep, so the side keys will be slightly more difficult for larger fingers. My fingers are probably pretty average or a little larger than a typical male and I don't have a problem.

The best part is that you can really use the phone without any fear of day-to-day scratches and marks. It's not going to protect it from a 2 story fall, but if it slips out of your hand onto a parking lot you will still have a phone that looks brand new underneath. I am very grateful that I ran across the otterbox, it's the best accessory I've every purchased for a phone.
    07-14-08 07:40 PM
    I'll echo the above and recommend the otterbox. Best case ever!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 09:25 PM
    I have to recommend this case too
    i work on cars alot and end up around dirty, greasy machinery and roll around on the ground and the otterbox has held up beautifully. even dropped it on a concrete floor the other day while i was on a call. it just bounced, and i picked ot up and kept talking.
    the membrane keeps my greasy fingerprints off it too.
    07-15-08 10:01 AM
    I'm hoping to use the case without the membrane - we shall see when it gets delivered friday. Thanks for the advice
    07-16-08 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD