I just wanted to try this out for kicks but can't get it to work. I have a web server, I converted a video file I had to 3gp uploaded it to my server, created a link on a basic html page and tried to click it on my phone. It opens up media player but then errors out.

Has anyone been successful in doing a stream through BB (bb 9700 specifically) over 3G?
    09-14-10 08:10 PM
    I just wanted to try this out for kicks but can't get it to work. I have a web server, I converted a video file I had to 3gp uploaded it to my server, created a link on a basic html page and tried to click it on my phone. It opens up media player but then errors out.

Has anyone been successful in doing a stream through BB (bb 9700 specifically) over 3G?
    In short... yes.

When I first built Yesterberry, the entire VOD section used HTTP streaming. In short, it's a serious PITA. Half (or more) or RIM's phones aren't capable, there's no listing which are and aren't, and the file often has to be carefully crafted for it to work properly on the ones that can handle it. Confusing enough?

That said, I've run into a lot of 3gp files which actually do stream just fine to my 9700 over HTTP. What was the error message you got?
    09-15-10 01:56 AM
    Thanks for the reply, do you think it may be because I had AAC as the audio codec where it should be mp3?

I used Mpeg4 video.
    09-15-10 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the reply, do you think it may be because I had AAC as the audio codec where it should be mp3?

I used Mpeg4 video.
    That could be it, but it's more complicated than that. Depending on the program used to create the 3gp file, the header may be set up so that it can't stream via http. I had to weed through a lot of encoding programs to come up with reliable results.
    09-15-10 04:43 PM
    Are you able to PM me the one you use for yesterberry. I don't plan on doing what you are doing but I'd like to be able to try it out between my phone and buddies etc.

I do notice you are using youtube links for Yesterberry, is this the only way you got it to work?
    09-15-10 05:48 PM
    Are you able to PM me the one you use for yesterberry. I don't plan on doing what you are doing but I'd like to be able to try it out between my phone and buddies etc.

I do notice you are using youtube links for Yesterberry, is this the only way you got it to work?
    I'll dig up the name of the app(s) for you. The youtube links for the VOD section just made sense- they host and serve content for free, and already have the infrastructure in place to do proper on-demand universally compatible mobile rtsp streaming... instead of my original hit-and-miss, massive hosting of http streamed material. Sometimes there's no need to reinvent the wheel

As I said, the http streaming method works, but only if the stars are right. Some web hosting doesn't allow it- not sure how they block it, but I've run into this. Only certain phones are capable (such as the 9700), and some cell providers seem to limit or hinder compatibility as well. It takes a good 60 seconds or more to buffer any clip over 20 minutes (even on wifi), and there's no seek capability. I had to chop all my movies into 25 minute segments to make them work, then apologize and explain in my FAQ's about the loading times, incompatibilities, etc. ANY other option was better, to be honest.
    09-15-10 09:43 PM
    Thank you!
    09-16-10 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD