Hi...like many Verizon customers, I had the 8703e for several years. Now I have the Storm, and I was wondering about a couple of things:

- Can the 8703e's battery work in the Storm? Or would it underpower/fry it?

- Since I have multiple home and car chargers, would a simple Mini-USB to Micro-USB adapter let me use all my old stuff? I found a bunch of them on the web.

And finally, I went to Best Buy today, and they had an awesome assortment of original Blackberry-brand car chargers, holsters, skins and more for the Storm. My local Verizon store had very, very little...and its car chargers were generic, not BB-brand.
    12-01-08 02:50 PM
    There is a rubber case that Verizon has with flowers I bought it. Yes it looks kinda gay but it covers most of the phone gaps to prevent dust in the screen. I'd recommend that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 03:06 PM
    The Storm has a new battery, old Blackberry batteries will not work.

I am sure a mini USB to micro USB adapter will be okay.
    12-01-08 03:08 PM
    Can't use your 8703e battery. Different type of battery. The battery is proprietary to the 95xx (Storm) and 89xx (Javelin aka new Curve).

12-01-08 03:13 PM
    Oh yeah. You can use the old chargers (with adapter) as long as they provide enough juice to the device to charge it. I couldn't charge my 8800 using my wife's 8700 car charger. The charger didn't provide enough juice to charge. Her wall charger was fine though.

12-01-08 03:15 PM
    Oh yeah. You can use the old chargers (with adapter) as long as they provide enough juice to the device to charge it. I couldn't charge my 8800 using my wife's 8700 car charger. The charger didn't provide enough juice to charge. Her wall charger was fine though.

Ahhh...I didn't think about the amount of power a charger puts out. Thanks.

I guess I'll keep the spare wall chargers, and use them with the mini-to-micro USB adapter.

But if the car chargers don't have the horsepower...I'll just pack them up and bundle them with the 8703e when I sell it on eBay.

And thanks also for the battery information! I appreciate it.
    12-01-08 03:58 PM
    Storm uses completely different accessories than previous BlackBerry models. I was able to get an adapter from mini-usb to micro-usb charger here Motorola mini USB to micro USB Charging Adapter SKN6252 - MSGDigital to use for storm.

these guys have bunch of original accessories for storm BlackBerry Thunder 9500 Original Accessories - MSGDigital
    12-08-08 10:08 PM
    I picked up an extra Storm battery on eBay for $15, free S&H. Its coming from China, so hope its legit. But that's a great price, considering they're going for $40-50.

Also, Amazon is selling the adapters for $2.12. Note that these work to charge the Storm, but not for data transfer, in my test. This adapter is working for me with (1) the old mini-USB Verizon car charger, (2) the old Verizon Pearl wall charger, (3) charging Storm from Laptop via a Gigawire USB to Mini-USB. But I couldn't sync/transfer data via the same Gigawire plus the micro-USB adapter. But, it'll save you a bunch of cash replacing your car charger, etc.
    01-07-09 04:51 PM
    I picked up an extra Storm battery on eBay for $15, free S&H. Its coming from China, so hope its legit. But that's a great price, considering they're going for $40-50.

Also, Amazon is selling the adapters for $2.12. Note that these work to charge the Storm, but not for data transfer, in my test. This adapter is working for me with (1) the old mini-USB Verizon car charger, (2) the old Verizon Pearl wall charger, (3) charging Storm from Laptop via a Gigawire USB to Mini-USB. But I couldn't sync/transfer data via the same Gigawire plus the micro-USB adapter. But, it'll save you a bunch of cash replacing your car charger, etc.
    I can tell you now...the battery is a fake and imitation that looks legit.
    01-07-09 05:58 PM
    Somehow non-OEM batteries never worked well for me. Whether it be for my cell phone or digital camera. I don't buy generics anymore. Can't trust them.
    01-07-09 07:30 PM
    I always use generics and they always seem to work, sometimes better than the origional. I try to order from japan though when possible...
    01-07-09 07:34 PM
    I can tell you now...the battery is a fake and imitation that looks legit.
    Yes, I recognize this as a risk considering its coming from China. But how do you say with such authoritative certitude?

Being eBay, I checked the feedback and its 99.5% positive, so I took a shot. Also, the seller is clearly identifying themselves as being in China, so I took it as positive that they're not pretending to be somewhere they're not.

When it arrives, how can I determine if its fake? Has anyone seen a fake Storm battery, thus can point me to clues to look for?
    01-08-09 09:34 AM
    Yes, I recognize this as a risk considering its coming from China. But how do you say with such authoritative certitude?

Being eBay, I checked the feedback and its 99.5% positive, so I took a shot. Also, the seller is clearly identifying themselves as being in China, so I took it as positive that they're not pretending to be somewhere they're not.

When it arrives, how can I determine if its fake? Has anyone seen a fake Storm battery, thus can point me to clues to look for?
    Being Asian myself, if its coming from China/Hong Kong, its guaranteed fake. The price alone gives it away. No doubt it will work but if you're looking for real OEM, it wont be. Just like memory cards whether it be Memory Stick Pro Duo, microSD or SD cards. They all have Sony, Sandisk, etc. written on them but they are fake. When you order things and sold things on ebay for 10+ years, you'll know what is real and what is fake. There are items that look exactly like the OEM that you cant tell if its real or fake.

People leave feedback because they either dont know or it works as described and that is all that matters to them.

Just look and compare with your OEM whether it be sticker, design, weight. Only other way is to bust open the battery.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 01-08-09 at 09:43 AM.
    01-08-09 09:41 AM
    Just look and compare with your OEM whether it be sticker, design, weight. Only other way is to bust open the battery.
    Once I get it, I'll post what I can discern, etc. But I'm unlikely to perform battery-autopsy.
    01-08-09 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD