so after reading a couple of threads.. the verdict is still undecided.. i dont know what to get between phantom skinz or invisible shield.. i need input from tour 9630 owners who had used either of these products..

also.. what is the orange peel feel or effect that they talk about for invisible shield?
    10-28-09 11:02 AM
    the orange peel effect is only noticable from the side when the screens off.. i would go for BSE (best skins ever) by far, the cheapest, but on par quality wise with invisible shield.
    10-28-09 11:07 AM
    the orange peel effect is only noticable from the side when the screens off.. i would go for BSE (best skins ever) by far, the cheapest, but on par quality wise with invisible shield.
    dimples/ripples? is that what that is?
    10-28-09 11:09 AM
    dimples/ripples? is that what that is?
    yeah it looks like crap IMO

google it for pics of how it looks

just get a clarivue screen protector and call it a day

unless your looking for full body protection
    10-28-09 11:10 AM
    yeah, dimples kinda.. there really small and like i said, its only noticeable from an extreme angle when the screens off.
    10-28-09 11:10 AM
    ahh i see.. thanks for the input fellas
    10-28-09 11:12 AM
    I have invisible shield and it's good, but it's hard as sh*t to put on and I can never manage to not get fingerprints, lint, etc. underneath it. I've tried about 4-5 times. Besides that though it's pretty durable. Oh and I bought the full body kit but only used the screen section. I don't even feel like trying to mess with getting those small pieces on the sides and everything else.
    10-28-09 11:46 AM
    I had both invisible shield and phantom skinz. I felt that phantom skinz have more coverage then invisible shield. The invisible shield still had corner exposed, where phantom skinz almost completely covers the whole phone. Also, phantom skins include 2 sets in their packs, where invisible shield only has 1 set.
    10-28-09 11:48 AM
    I have invisible shield and it's good, but it's hard as sh*t to put on and I can never manage to not get fingerprints, lint, etc. underneath it. I've tried about 4-5 times. Besides that though it's pretty durable. Oh and I bought the full body kit but only used the screen section. I don't even feel like trying to mess with getting those small pieces on the sides and everything else.
    haha yeah i had it for my old verizon voyager and it was really hard to put on
    10-28-09 11:49 AM
    I had both invisible shield and phantom skinz. I felt that phantom skinz have more coverage then invisible shield. The invisible shield still had corner exposed, where phantom skinz almost completely covers the whole phone. Also, phantom skins include 2 sets in their packs, where invisible shield only has 1 set.
    well i went ahead and bought the phantom skinz since they had that 30% off so it only came out to $17.50 USD

any tips for some pro installation?
    10-28-09 11:50 AM
    I've had both, I prefer the coverage of the phantom skinz to the invisble shield. Also for me the phantom was a lot easier to put on and gave me a lot less air bubbles I need to push out compared to the shield. Both seem similar in quaility. The phantom is a lot clearer compared to the shield, with the shield on I could tell there was a body case on, with the phantom it's a lot less noticeable that it's there.
    10-28-09 11:54 AM
    They have some installation tips and videos on their site I would check out. Take your time and go slow and you should be fine
    10-28-09 11:56 AM
    do i really have to keep my device off for 24 hours =[

i havent done that since i broke up with my gf from 8th grade back in 1999
    10-28-09 11:58 AM
    do i really have to keep my device off for 24 hours =[

i havent done that since i broke up with my gf from 8th grade back in 1999
    I kept mine off for 24 hours to be safe. I suppose if you absolutely can't do this wait at least 12 hours and then lightly go over it with a blow dryer to make sure it's completely dry, but I would say just wait the full 24 that way you don't have to worry about the protector shifting or leftover water destroying your phone when you turn it on.
    10-28-09 12:02 PM
    haha alright
    10-28-09 12:03 PM
    I have owned both Phantom and Invis Shield. I prefer the material of Phantom much more than IS. IS has more orange peeling, and after about a year (had on an ipod touch) it begins to degrade in quality... finger prints remain on it.

Also, Phantom was WAY easier to install. Airbubbles were a breeze to get rid of. Phantom does come with two sets where as INVS has one, so those of you who return your Tours because of trackball issues and whatnot, will have an extra set if you go for the Phantom.. Sad you have to think that way, but it's true with RIM products these days.

My Opinion-

Phantom Skinz Pros:
    -Comes with two sets
    -Less Orange Peel look (Actually I don't see any on mine)
    -Installs easier
    -More durable
    -Price?? (Was less expensive for me)

Invisible Shield Pros:
    Packaging Looks Cool

As for installation, just make sure you keep your area, phone, and fingers clean of lint and dust!! Don't be afraid to use LOTS of the fluid they include. Once you lay the material on the phone, you can slide it around a little, then squeegie the **** out of it, making sure you use the included squeegie, so you don't scratch the material.

They don't want you to turn the phone on for 24 hrs incase you advertantly sprayed liquid into the phone's electronics. If you did, letting it sit for 24 hours will prevent a short when you go to power it on, by allowing it all to evaporate.... but if you feel you didn't get any liquid into your phone, or keyboard, then there is no risk. It doesn't hurt the product if you turn the phone on before 24 hours... You will see a film of liquid between the product and the screen for the first several hours, but it will go away, and look very clean and clear

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by NeoLogic; 10-28-09 at 01:44 PM.
    10-28-09 01:40 PM
    I got these
    SPGSheild
    and sumbitch, they're awesome!!
    CHEAP, no orange peel, Screen is CRYSTAL clear, cant even tell its on the screen, I hated that "diffuse, antiglare stuff...
    They're tough as nails, and after about 3 months, mine started to peel up in the corners... so i pulled it off, rubbed it under the faucet with dish soap for 2 minutes, put it back on and its like new again. PLUS I have a 2nd one in the box ready to go when i need it. all for 10$ or something.
    I really dont see why anyone would get anything else.
    Last edited by slvrscoobie; 10-28-09 at 02:41 PM.
    10-28-09 02:39 PM
    I have owned both Phantom and Invis Shield. I prefer the material of Phantom much more than IS. IS has more orange peeling, and after about a year (had on an ipod touch) it begins to degrade in quality... finger prints remain on it.

Also, Phantom was WAY easier to install. Airbubbles were a breeze to get rid of. Phantom does come with two sets where as INVS has one, so those of you who return your Tours because of trackball issues and whatnot, will have an extra set if you go for the Phantom.. Sad you have to think that way, but it's true with RIM products these days.

My Opinion-

Phantom Skinz Pros:
    -Comes with two sets
    -Less Orange Peel look (Actually I don't see any on mine)
    -Installs easier
    -More durable
    -Price?? (Was less expensive for me)

Invisible Shield Pros:
    Packaging Looks Cool

As for installation, just make sure you keep your area, phone, and fingers clean of lint and dust!! Don't be afraid to use LOTS of the fluid they include. Once you lay the material on the phone, you can slide it around a little, then squeegie the **** out of it, making sure you use the included squeegie, so you don't scratch the material.

They don't want you to turn the phone on for 24 hrs incase you advertantly sprayed liquid into the phone's electronics. If you did, letting it sit for 24 hours will prevent a short when you go to power it on, by allowing it all to evaporate.... but if you feel you didn't get any liquid into your phone, or keyboard, then there is no risk. It doesn't hurt the product if you turn the phone on before 24 hours... You will see a film of liquid between the product and the screen for the first several hours, but it will go away, and look very clean and clear

Good Luck!!
    Woo thanks for all that detail.. Hopefully the application of the skin goes real smooth (fingers crossed).. Btw just to clarify.. Immediately after the application.. Ill see a film of liquid between the product and the screen.. But no air bubbles right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 02:57 PM
    installed two phantom skins and both have peeled up. installed a half dozen invisible shields now and still have no problem with any of them... i will probably never buy another phantom skin in my life. whats the point in getting it if it peels up? I have been cutting parts off as they peel up and lose their stickiness. almost the entire top of my phone is now exposed. to say that i am very disappointed in phantomskinz would be an understatement. granted they did offer to have me mail my phone to them to have them put it on professionally, which yeah, forget that. $500+ phone in the mail, not to mention it is my only phone... no thanks.
    forgot to mention the lines on the screen as well. there are alot of threads about them. they are pretty annoying too...
    10-28-09 03:05 PM
    +1 best skin ever I have never had any trouble with this product, I have had it on 4 different phones.
    10-28-09 03:22 PM
    get a bestskkinsever.com they are the best out there i ve installed at least 30 of them perfect every single time!
    10-28-09 04:51 PM
    the screen does look like an orange skin but it is extremely protective. the phone sticks to your hand. i applied every single piece of invisible shield on my tour and i dropped it in the hallway at school 2 days ago in between periods and someone accidently kicked in. i picked the phone up and there was not a scratch not even on the shield.
    10-28-09 05:01 PM
    Phantomskins by far has the best sheild. I have it on my Tour and would never buy anythign else. I had Invisable sheild on my last storm I had, what a horrable product invisable sheild is.
    10-28-09 05:05 PM
    Now one more question.. Invisible shield brags about its product being scratch proof.. Even when you try to scratch it with a key.. Now phantomskinz also said its practically resistant to "everyday" scratches and heals overnight.. Does that mean the plastic can get scratched?

Phantomskinz owners.. Is it scratch proof?

10-28-09 05:21 PM
    Now one more question.. Invisible shield brags about its product being scratch proof.. Even when you try to scratch it with a key.. Now phantomskinz also said its practically resistant to "everyday" scratches and heals overnight.. Does that mean the plastic can get scratched?

Phantomskinz owners.. Is it scratch proof?

both products theres no way in hel* you can scratch them with a knife, keys, babys chewing on the phone (dont ask how i know that) ect...

both stand up to the fact that they cant scratch, but one product looks worse then the other and feels worse then the other.. the bad one is Invisable sheild, the better looking and feeling one is Phantomskins
    10-28-09 05:25 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD