For people who don't use a holster, just a case. It's recommended (read it somewhere), to use the Standby mode to prevent accidental calls, buttons being pushed etc..

Is putting the BB in Standby mode the same as Holstering it? I'm going to guess not.

Wonder if anyone carrys a magnet in their pocket? Hmm...
    08-20-09 11:41 AM
    For people who don't use a holster, just a case. It's recommended (read it somewhere), to use the Standby mode to prevent accidental calls, buttons being pushed etc..

Is putting the BB in Standby mode the same as Holstering it? I'm going to guess not.

Wonder if anyone carrys a magnet in their pocket? Hmm...
    It is the same. My holster has a magnet built into it. Most do.
    08-20-09 11:44 AM
    ya most of the holsters have a magnent
    08-20-09 11:50 AM
    If the holster has a magnet, and some do not, then it should put your device into standby mode and wake it up when you pull the device from the holster.

I use a 3rd party app called AutoStandby.
    08-20-09 12:08 PM
    The classic case with no maget are the Seidio ones. When I had one of those I was in the habit of pushing the standby button everytime I put it in my pocket and when I took it out to use. magets are a lot easier!
    08-20-09 12:13 PM
    So then the whatever Notifications are set "When Holstered" also apply when in Stand By mode?
    08-20-09 01:11 PM
    So then the whatever Notifications are set "When Holstered" also apply when in Stand By mode?
    No, it does not.
    08-20-09 01:14 PM
    No, it does not.
    That's what I was curious about. Thanks!
    08-20-09 01:30 PM
    I use auto-standby too, for out of the holster use, but it does not do anything when holstered. When I remove it from the holster, I have to 'unlock' it, unlike pressing the mute button to take it out of standby.
    08-20-09 02:06 PM
    so does this mean that when you put your blackberry in the holster, it goes into standby mode?

And when you pull it out of the holster, it goes out of standby mode?
    09-09-09 10:15 PM
    Putting your phone in the holster or on standby saves battery power!
    09-09-09 10:25 PM
    ya but what is the difference between putting it in the holster and putting it in standby mode?
    09-09-09 10:29 PM
    In the holster puts the phone into a sleep style mode to save battery life. Standby mode is nice to use when your phone is out of the holster and you want to put it in a pocket. It will keep the keys from being pushed. Also saving battery life.
    09-09-09 11:24 PM
    EDIT: Nvm Dumb Question
    Last edited by mrlazybums; 09-10-09 at 12:36 AM.
    09-10-09 12:29 AM
    Holster: Saves battery & changed profiles to what you set.

Stand-By: Saves Battery, stops you from pressing keys. Usually use this when you are putting it in a pocket.
    09-10-09 02:26 AM
    Holster eats more battery... my personal experiance..
    09-10-09 03:14 AM
    ive got a habit of putting it on standby before holstering. if this is redundant, then i gotta kick the habit...
    09-10-09 03:35 AM
    ive got a habit of putting it on standby before holstering. if this is redundant, then i gotta kick the habit...
    It is redundant, but that is a great habit to have so please don't change it. I put my phone into stand-by mode anytime I am done using it.
    09-10-09 11:00 AM
    While we're on the subject of standby, and to prevent clutter of the forum, can anyone tell me if there is a shortcut key on the keypad to go in AND out of standyby mode? Yes, I know there is an app to purcahse called Autostandby but I want to know if it can be done natively and yes, I have searched and yes, I know there is a button on the top of the phone

I can only find the shortcut to go in and out of Lock mode: i.e. Alt+Enter or hold A and then A+Call button to unlock but not one for the standby.
    09-10-09 12:36 PM
    why do you want a shortcut, when the mute button does the job effectively?
    09-10-09 01:32 PM
    Then if the standby mode stops keys from being pressed.. Isn't it esentially the same key as the upper left corner button.. the lock buttons? What is the difference between the two upper keys, namely the lock and standby buttons?
    09-10-09 01:39 PM
    Then if the standby mode stops keys from being pressed.. Isn't it esentially the same key as the upper left corner button.. the lock buttons? What is the difference between the two upper keys, namely the lock and standby buttons?
    Search is your friend, check this out:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/di...y-lock-197461/
    09-10-09 01:50 PM
    why do you want a shortcut, when the mute button does the job effectively?
    A few reasons:
    1) Preference.
    2) You have to hold it for a second to activate standby.
    3) I'm using a silicone like skin and it doesn't detect the push on the top buttons as effectively.
    4) I get the feeling that pressing that button too many times will make it less responsive i.e. paranoia. Same reason why I don't click on the trackball as much and use the Enter or Space bar wherever possible.
    The keypad on the other hand, I have no hesitation or reservations that it'll stand some button crunching.
    09-10-09 02:00 PM
    A few reasons:
    1) Preference.
    2) You have to hold it for a second to activate standby.
    3) I'm using a silicone like skin and it doesn't detect the push on the top buttons as effectively.
    4) I get the feeling that pressing that button too many times will make it less responsive i.e. paranoia. Same reason why I don't click on the trackball as much and use the Enter or Space bar wherever possible.
    The keypad on the other hand, I have no hesitation or reservations that it'll stand some button crunching.
    So, clearly. #4 is your main concern. Don't worry about it, you are just being paranoid. I use my Stand-by button constantly - probably 20 times a day , at least. I have been doing this since I first got my device back in January. Also, I have even replaced my original bezel with a black one, which required moving the stand-by and lock button contact. My stand-by and lock buttons work as well as they did the day I first got my device. Quit worrying and enjoy your device.
    09-10-09 02:51 PM
    So, clearly. #4 is your main concern. Don't worry about it, you are just being paranoid. I use my Stand-by button constantly - probably 20 times a day , at least. I have been doing this since I first got my device back in January. Also, I have even replaced my original bezel with a black one, which required moving the stand-by and lock button contact. My stand-by and lock buttons work as well as they did the day I first got my device. Quit worrying and enjoy your device.
    Actually, #1 would be the main reason, being number 1 and all I check my BB every 10-20 mins fairly regularly (SMSes, emails, calls, surfing etc) so conservatively I'd be clicking on it about 90 times (stand by/unstandby lol that can't be a word) for a 15 hour working day and 180 times on a busy day. Checking it every 5 mins would mean that sucka gets clicked 360 times a day or approximately 131,000 times a year. Yeah, a shortcut would be nice but I know I'm being paranoid. Slightly. And yes, I enjoy my device.
    09-10-09 03:54 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD