Once i got my Innocase I knew I wasnt going to turn back from it. I love pretty much anything by Seidio. But I realized that they didn't really take into consideration the chorme paint. After awhile of removing the Innocase and putting it back on i suddenly realized that it was leaving a line of worn down chrome paint on the right side. And chipping away at the left side. On instinct i scratched my thumbnail thinking it was something black on my phone and bam....i just chipped about a half inch of paint off it. Big black ugly chip right on the bezel.

Im not confident enough to dissasemble my bb, ive had issues in the past doing so with my 8320. I figured worst case scenario thats what i would do though. I decided to do a blacked out bezel project to see how it went. So i started picking at it with my fingernail...this process was very tiresome. I masked off my phone with some tape here and there and decided to take a fingernail emery board to it. Slowly and meticulously i etched away at the chrome until it was all black. I tried sanding in different directions and patterns to give my phone a textured look.

Sorry about the low quality pictures here. The best camera i own is on my 8900. Im in the process of moving now and will update this thread with higher quality pics later. My basic purpose here was to say that there ARE ways to black out your bezel without taking anything apart. But do this at your own risk...i did scratch a few spots here and there (such as a tiny line on the glass covering the camera). But well worth it, i love the way it looks and feels. Happy sanding!!

05-03-09 12:58 AM
    It really turned out good. I like the matte look. Not a bad quick fix to an ugly problem! Well done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 01:08 AM
    Wow....

Looks awesome!

At anypoint did you feel like "aww crap! no turning back now...."
    05-03-09 01:40 AM
    Nice......cheapskate!!!!! LOL jk

05-03-09 01:53 AM
    Wow....

Looks awesome!

At anypoint did you feel like "aww crap! no turning back now...."

Yeah i did for sure lol. But i kept it in the back of my mind that if i messed anything up too badly id just buy a new bezel. I just didnt want too. Like Clint said...i took the cheap way out.
    05-03-09 02:05 AM
    Lol..... Now that is funny right there

05-03-09 02:11 AM
    If you wanted it shiny again, what about using a small brush to put on a clear coat of protective paint?

05-03-09 08:58 AM
    Well, it looked pretty good when i started just using my fingernail to chip it away. Was pretty shiny, but like the above poster said...i kinda like the textured matte type finish.
    05-03-09 01:05 PM
    I thought that it was going to look really bad but it turned out looking good. Props to you.

05-03-09 02:59 PM
    That looks darn good!
    05-03-09 08:51 PM
    Well, it looked pretty good when i started just using my fingernail to chip it away. Was pretty shiny, but like the above poster said...i kinda like the textured matte type finish.
    Cool. I figured I'd throw out the idea for anyone else who might read this thread!
    05-03-09 09:05 PM
    Sounds dusty
    05-03-09 09:12 PM
    Take some 1000 grit sand paper and wet sand it a bit. It will make it smoother and still be mate. You can try higher grit too.
    05-03-09 10:07 PM
    Wow that doesn't look too bad! But hey if you gotta do it so your phone doesn't look ugly, why not?

Nice job.

05-03-09 11:24 PM
    Looks good...
    05-03-09 11:26 PM
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. The high grit sandpaper sounds like a good idea. The phone feels great with a textured surface. And to the poster that said it seemed dusty, you're right..there was a lot of blowing and wiping involved.

That's what she said....sorry

05-04-09 01:18 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good one Shory!!
    05-04-09 01:32 PM
    Love the blowing and wiping!!!!!
    05-04-09 01:58 PM
    yea since my chrome started falling off i decided to give it a try did the same thing with a light grit sanding block. looks good gonna pick up some 1000 grit later and get it to look nice nice
    05-04-09 03:46 PM
    Donations are accepted at my email for the sand paper idea. Lol

05-04-09 04:00 PM
    lol sure ill send it right over!!!!
    05-04-09 04:07 PM
    Not bad. You've done a good job on it.
    05-04-09 04:37 PM
    I'm considering this idea. I have a few small chips on my phone, and at the moment I don't think I'm brave enough to take my phone apart to change the bezel. We'll see. Nice job again!

05-04-09 08:13 PM
    would you recommend me doing this?!?! I wanted to replace it with a black bezel but it looks too risky and it does void your warranty. How would you recommend me doing this? Thanks!!!
    05-04-09 11:00 PM
    Uh huh, that's sure a textured look alright. One-of-a-kind. Nice work on that dude! The Innocase covers the bezel up anyway.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 05-04-09 at 11:24 PM.
    05-04-09 11:21 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD