I went to a VZ store yesterday to check out the Tour and was talking to one of the reps about the Storm. I mentioned the lackluster call quality I had been plagued with since I got the phone (I sound muffled/tunneled) and he took my phone and went in back for ten minutes or so.

He came back and confirmed the call quality was, well "odd" was the word he used. So, he gave me a refurbished Storm for my trouble. Sidenote: Say what you will about VZ, but they do a great job keeping their long term customers happy.

Anyway, my original storm was obtained at launch. It had the (warm) yellow tinted screen and my new one has the (cool) blue tinted screen, which I think I prefer. The screen configuration and placement also seems a bit tighter around the edges than my original, which I've hear other people mention as well.

However, the bezel looks different. The old bezel was almost shiny chrome, and my new bezel is a bit more brushed and muted. Not a profound change but it's there.

Also, (and please prove me wrong because normally I keep my storm in a case) I don't remember my original storm having the rubber griplike material on the sides and the back where it says 'Qualcomm'.

I searched and didn't come up with anything, but do any of you early adopters (who still have their phone) have a phone that's different from the above? Am I just an ***** who forgot what his phone looked like because it was in a case?

To sum up, here's my question:
    Does anyone NOT have a rubberized griplike material on the sides of their Storm?
    I could have sworn my original Storm lacked this material, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 08-11-09 at 11:21 AM. Reason: clarifying my original point
    08-11-09 07:12 AM
    Hm got mine in Feb. and the bezel is shiny. Don't know what rubber you're talking about either. As for the screen tint, yeah different screens on different Storms have slightly different colors I've noticed, which annoys me because as any good engineer knows, you need to eliminate variation from your manufacturing process.
    08-11-09 07:39 AM
    I went to a VZ store yesterday to check out the Tour and was talking to one of the reps about the Storm. I mentioned the lackluster call quality I had been plagued with since I got the phone (I sound muffled/tunneled) and he took my phone and went in back for ten minutes or so.

He came back and confirmed the call quality was, well "odd" was the word he used. So, he gave me a refurbished Storm for my trouble. Sidenote: Say what you will about VZ, but they do a great job keeping their long term customers happy.

Anyway, my original storm was obtained at launch. It had the (warm) yellow tinted screen and my new one has the (cool) blue tinted screen, which I think I prefer. The screen configuration and placement also seems a bit tighter around the edges than my original, which I've hear other people mention as well.

However, the bezel looks different. The old bezel was almost shiny chrome, and my new bezel is a bit more brushed and muted. Not a profound change but it's there.

Also, (and please prove me wrong because normally I keep my storm in a case) I don't remember my original storm having the rubber griplike material on the sides and the back where it says 'Qualcomm'.

I searched and didn't come up with anything, but do any of you early adopters (who still have their phone) have a phone that's different from the above? Am I just an ***** who forgot what his phone looked like because it was in a case?

Another sidenote: The call quality on my refurb improved only slightly, but it did improve.
    I just got mine about 3 weeks ago. Mine is shiny and I also have the blueish tint to the screen which is nice. I have the rubber grips on the sides and bottom but the Qualcomm writing that you are talking about. So its not just you
    08-11-09 07:51 AM
    I'm not certain about the bezel, but the 2 different screen, the "warm" one and the "cool" one is a well known issue. Most prefer the "cool" screen.
    08-11-09 08:11 AM
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. The screen differences (warm vs. cool) is a well documented change.

I was speaking about the bezel and material on the sides of the phone.

Here's my question:
    Does anyone NOT have the rubberized griplike substance along the sides of their phone?

For all I know my original phone had it and I simply hadn't noticed becuase it was in a case.
    08-11-09 08:38 AM
    Would you care to post a couple of pics of the bezel and screen? I got a replacement a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any differences.

Thanks
    08-11-09 08:39 AM
    It is quite possible they changed bezels too.
    08-11-09 08:41 AM
    ive had mine since day one and the bezel does have a rubbery feel to it and the shiny chrome isnt bright more muted like a brushed surface
    08-11-09 08:57 AM
    I also just replaced my storm after 6mths USB connector was loose, my sides were not like this either. The shiny metal look is more like brushed aluminum, on this one.
    08-11-09 10:09 AM
    Just got mine replaced at a corp store Sat, and you know what mine has the rubber sides and the chrome is more of a gun metal color. Just checked my son's storm that he got two months ago and and he has the rubber also.
    08-11-09 10:35 AM
    I have had mine since November (opening day), and it has the rubber sides, and a chrome bezel.
    08-11-09 10:51 AM
    Thanks all.

From what I've gleaned, it seems the phone has always the rubberized griplike material on the sides of the phone and I just forgot that fact since I typically house the phone in an Seido Innocase II, but it does look like they toned down the shininess of the bezel just a tad.
    08-11-09 11:23 AM
    I bought mine the first day they came out, and mine is "rubberized" like you talk about.
    08-11-09 02:51 PM
    I definitely have the rubberized sides to mine which is an original opening day Storm. Bought it on the day it came out and still proudly display it. The only flaw is some dust under the screen and a nice chip on the chrome from a nice chance encounter with a concrete floor.

If you want, I could post pics later tonight if you want to see what a REAL Storm looks like...
    08-11-09 03:00 PM
    I've had this particular Storm since Feb. and it has the chrome bezel and the rubber material on back and sides. As for the screen, I've heard about the 2 different screens, but I don't personally know anyone with another Storm to compare it to. My screen definately doesn't look like a warm yellow.
    08-11-09 03:22 PM
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. The screen differences (warm vs. cool) is a well documented change.

I was speaking about the bezel and material on the sides of the phone.

Here's my question:
    Does anyone NOT have the rubberized griplike substance along the sides of their phone?

For all I know my original phone had it and I simply hadn't noticed becuase it was in a case.
    I've had mine since Dec. and it has the rubber grip you are talking about.
    08-11-09 03:42 PM

To sum up, here's my question:
    Does anyone NOT have a rubberized griplike material on the sides of their Storm?
    I could have sworn my original Storm lacked this material, but I could be wrong.
    This is my second STORM, first Dec 08, second Jan 09. Neither has a rubberized griplike material (it is a different material than the battery compartment door so MAYBE?) and I have the shiny bezel on both.
    08-11-09 04:44 PM
    They all have the rubberized material. ALL of them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 05:15 PM
    Mine has the rubber and does say Qualcomm 3G CDMA on the back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 05:33 PM
    Im on my third Storm. I recall that my first did have the rubber sides, but do notice that on my newest Storm, that the rubber sides do feel like they have a bit more cushion to it than the rubber sides on my first Storm from December.
    As for the color tint.... sucks to be me, I am color bling so minor color differences like that mean nothing to me.
    08-11-09 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD