I picked up a new 9850 Friday and love the thing! I came from a Bold 9650 so the keyboard took some getting used to but the screen size more than makes up for it.

One issue I can't figure out is using an OEM charging/sync pod with Bedside mode. Whenever I use the charging pod it will not go into Bedside mode like it does when I plug in just a charger without the pod. The "Smart Accessories" applet seems to take over all the functionality of bedside mode and disables it. Has anyone worked around this so you can place the phone in a charging pod at night and have it go into bedside mode?

Thanks for any help
    08-29-11 12:52 PM
    I went nuts too! when it pops up with "Smart Accessories" applet find the "CLOCK" within all the apps on the phone. Then it will work as per your clock setting....hence bedside mode. Hope that helps!
    gjcavana likes this.
    08-29-11 08:27 PM
    Thanks for the tip. That seems to work. I still wonder if there is a way to turn the Smart Accessories off completly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 08:59 PM
    I'm seriously thinking of getting this phone. I use bedside mode on my 9650 as my alarm clock so this thread concerns me. Can you please explain what "Smart Accessories" is?
    08-29-11 09:30 PM
    I'm seriously thinking of getting this phone. I use bedside mode on my 9650 as my alarm clock so this thread concerns me. Can you please explain what "Smart Accessories" is?
    "Smart Accessories" appears to be a feature RIM included in BB7 that allows you to set option for each device you plug your BB into. Options include the ability to open a certain app on your BB or turn off WiFi, radio Bluetooth etc. similar to the Bedside mode options.

Vdoman's advice above of setting the smart accessories options for the charging pod to open the clock however worked great. After I set that my phone goes into bedside mode and works just like my 9650 did in the pod. Don't let that worry you about the 9850/60. After 4 days with mine I love it!
    08-30-11 07:49 AM
    The manual is quite useful on that topic

About the Smart Accessories application
    You can change how your BlackBerry� smartphone functions when you connect it to a dock, charger, or charging pod by creating a dock profile to identify the dock or charger in the Smart Accessories application. For example, you might be able to identify a dock as a bedside dock so that when you connect your smartphone, your smartphone's sound profile turns off, and your smartphone's alarm clock turns on.

About the Smart Accessories application - BlackBerry Torch 9850/9860 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Torch Series - 7.0
    08-30-11 04:43 PM
    The manual is quite useful on that topic

About the Smart Accessories application
    You can change how your BlackBerry� smartphone functions when you connect it to a dock, charger, or charging pod by creating a dock profile to identify the dock or charger in the Smart Accessories application. For example, you might be able to identify a dock as a bedside dock so that when you connect your smartphone, your smartphone's sound profile turns off, and your smartphone's alarm clock turns on.

About the Smart Accessories application - BlackBerry Torch 9850/9860 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Torch Series - 7.0
    Again they fail to 'plain speak' and mention that you HAVE to assign the CLOCK within the Smart Accessory App to actually make it work. For the dummy's among us it is always helpful to FULLY explain something
    08-30-11 07:04 PM
    Thanks very much to everyone for being so helpful!
    08-30-11 07:58 PM
    I'm unable to Set up a new dock in the smart accessories. When I look under smart accessories it say "empty" and a can't add one because there is no options available! Any ideas??
    10-22-11 07:37 AM
    I'm unable to Set up a new dock in the smart accessories. When I look under smart accessories it say "empty" and a can't add one because there is no options available! Any ideas??
    Your dock needs to be a "smart accessory", not just any old dock.
    The first time you connect to that dock your BB will, if it is a smart accessory, bring up the SA options screen. It will then remember your settings for that particular SmartAcc.
    10-29-11 07:20 PM
    sound good
    10-30-11 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD