I had a privacy protector on my 8330 for over a year and it worked very nicely except for some minor lifting on the sides. I'm upgrading to a 9650 and began wondering about whether or not a screen protector is really necessary.

I wonder how many BB users don't use screen protectors at all and don't have any issues or problems?

Is the BB screen material made of acrylic or some other really tough substance that resists scratches and dings?

SJ
    06-07-10 09:02 AM
    I am not sure what the screen is made of but I have heard others complain of scratches. My wife had an 8310 and her screen seemed to be more plasticy than the one on my Bold. She never had a screen protector and no scratches.

I have had a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD on mine since the first week that I owned it. I am too anal about scratches so it is a must-have for me.
    06-07-10 09:22 AM
    I only use privacy screens... They just so happen to protect the screen, but I don't use them for that. I just don't want the **** next to me in the metro or airplane or whatever looking at my private emails, etc.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-07-10 09:25 AM
    I never used one on my Bold or Tour. But I now have one on my Storm2.
    06-07-10 09:38 AM
    @sdmcwilliams
    On the 83xx series the housing has a plastic screen cover. The actual LCD
    is below that.

On many of the newer devices that cover is eliminated, leaving the LCD exposed
    and that is why your and hers felt different.

As to the screen protector question, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound
    of cure, as they say
    06-07-10 09:39 AM
    I have an 8330 and always have had some sort of screen protector on to prevent scratching the plastic cover , since any scratches would affect how the screen looks , yes I am kinda picky and plastic scratches so EZ . So I opted for the ounce over the pound .
    06-07-10 09:44 AM
    I have a privacy screen on my 9700 which doubles as a screen protector...I have had screen scratches on previous devices but the main reason I have it is because multiple times people have been sitting next to me in class/ on campus/ etc trying to see what's I'm doing on my BlackBerry...so all in all yes I think they are necessary

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 09:50 AM
    Beats the expensive of replacing a scratched LCD or having to look at one!!
    06-07-10 09:54 AM
    In the line of work I'm in my phone is constantly getting banged around. I always have a silicone cover and a screen protector. There is nothing more annoying than a big scratch down the middle of your screen.

06-07-10 09:56 AM
    not ness by any means. They dont scratch easy, but it deff helps for stupid stuff like fingerprints and smudges on the screen that causes you to keep wiping if your anal and cant see with smudges.
    Will help against scratches too for sure
    06-07-10 10:07 AM
    The smart thing to do would be to use a screen protector no matter what. As someone stated before, it's better than having to replace a scratched LCD, not to mention MUCH cheaper. You can usually find them on ebay for pennies really. It really is a no-brainer, you'd be foolish not to use one.
    06-07-10 11:20 AM
    Obviously if your BB is in an environment where scratches may occur, you should use a screen protector.

I don't use one myself, even though I like to preserve the appearance of my device. I rely on the fact it's never exposed to keys, kids or other abrasives and it's in a sleeve when on the move.
    06-07-10 11:45 AM
    Because of all the very worthwhile suggestions and insight, I went to a Verizon store to buy a Verizon Privacy Protector for my 9650. I told them what I wanted and they told me the 9650s are not out. I said I had one in my holster and all the reps had to see what it looked like.

I finally asked for a Verizon Privacy Protector for the 8630 and it worked beautifully on the 9650. The fit is significantly better than that provided on my 8330. So my screen is happily protected. Now I await some additional accessories I ordered at ridiculously low prices -- and it is all OEM.

Shilohjerry
    06-08-10 07:38 PM
    I have a screen protectors because I hate looking at a scratched screen. I had one on my 8320, I beat that berry down but I not one screen scratch. I'm also the type that throws my berry in my purse or pocket along with my keys, I seen from my buddy what damage keys can do on a berry screen.
    06-08-10 08:23 PM
    I always kept a privacy screen on my Curve. Loved it. Nothing on my Storm 2 and no scratches, but it's a glass screen. Sadly I smashed it last night. Now I'm in the market for a good case.

06-09-10 03:22 PM
    i used a privacy screen on my curve, then i got my bold and didnt think i was going to get one but without one i feel so uncomfortable texting around ppl now. its so weird but that privacy screen made me feel more comfortable around a crowd of people.
    06-09-10 04:36 PM
    Hmmm, I've never thought of a privacy screen on my 8330
    06-09-10 07:01 PM
    I've gone naked on my last three devices.

Good Luck
    06-09-10 07:05 PM
    considering the screen is what you look at most of the time I would say yes. A screen protector is relatively cheap, a new screen will cost you $165 and up. Also, in the event you do have to replace the screen the chances of your bezel will fitting as tight as it did before are very slim.
    Last edited by voltaire64; 08-26-10 at 11:25 PM.
    06-09-10 08:38 PM
    Condoms aren't really necessary, but if you ever have a little accident...
    06-10-10 11:40 PM
    Me and my wife use them for our storm 2's
    Kind of a pain but a scratch would be worse
    06-13-10 11:39 PM
    I always used a screen protector on my curve. Now I have a privacy screen protector on my Bold 9650 and I'll tell you what, why did I wait so long? OMG! It's great! They're not too expensive and wow! No one can pry. Fantastic. Protects the screen and keeps eyes off what you're doing.

Love it!
    06-18-10 03:56 PM
    does the privacy screen actually protect the screen from scratches and stuff as well?
    08-22-10 05:42 PM
    does the privacy screen actually protect the screen from scratches and stuff as well?
    Indeed it does. Because the screen on the 83xx series is curved, the not so flexible privacy film protectors may bend up on the sides. With the flat screen on the Bolds, this isn't a problem.

As for the OP's question, screen protectors are pretty necessary if you want to keep scratches off your screen...
    I'm not a fan of screen protectors so I just bought a couple berry's as back ups.
    08-22-10 08:41 PM
    Oh that's so cool so no one can see what you doing and it protects the phone .nice. What's something like that go for.

08-24-10 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD