Hello all,

I was wondering if people like to keep their ringtones and wallpapers on their device memory or SD card. If you keep it on one or the other, why? I have read a few posts saying that the media card inserted screen being stuck is due to the memory card not being initialized in time. Some have suggested putting wallpapers and ringtones on device memory. I have always kept them on the SD card. I'd love to see what people think. Maybe this can help me figure out what will work best for me. Thank you all for your feedback.
    12-29-08 10:36 AM
    I usually keep them on my SD card. I guess it's to keep the memory on the BB free and clear.
    12-29-08 10:39 AM
    Being new at this... How does one move downloaded ring tones from the device to the SD card? Also, when downloading 3rd party software, Is there much of a noticable difference when putting it on an SD card vs memory?
    Thanks
    12-29-08 11:38 AM
    Software goes to the "memory" not to the media card.
    12-29-08 11:44 AM
    You can move your media by plugging your device into the computer, and making sure you enable mass storage on your card. Then you can access your device and card memory as separate drives. I'm trying to find out if keeping the ringtones and wallpapers on my device memory as opposed to my SD card memory gets rid of the Media Card Inserted being stuck when the phone boots up after a reset.
    12-29-08 11:46 AM
    Just an FYI folks... I;ve recently switched my rings and walls to the onbaord 1GB card (separate from app mem) and my device is much better and faster.

This seems to also reduce the risk of lockups and freezes for me on the new OS.

1GB is A LOT OF memory and my storm runs a lot smoother when it doesnt have to access the media card for info like rings and walls.
    12-29-08 11:47 AM
    When I go into Media, Ringtones, and select My Ringtones, it does not show the ringtones that I moved from SD Card memory to device memory. They do however show up under All Ringtones. Does anybody know how i can have the My Ringtones folder display my onboard tones?
    12-29-08 11:56 AM
    When I go into Media, Ringtones, and select My Ringtones, it does not show the ringtones that I moved from SD Card memory to device memory. They do however show up under All Ringtones. Does anybody know how i can have the My Ringtones folder display my onboard tones?
    I found if you use the explorer option. to move them out then back in the ringtone folder under the media card then you can see them in under the regular ringtone button. hope this helps.
    12-29-08 12:33 PM
    Seems like a pain to do. I have a lot of ringtones and would take forever. No other way to do it? Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by hexenmeister; 12-29-08 at 01:02 PM.
    12-29-08 12:39 PM
    Seems like a pain to do. I have a lot of ringtones and would take forever. No other way to do it? Thanks for your input.
    From your pc in mass storage, you can move them from your external to internal memory quickly, memory show as 2 thumb drives.

From your BB, it's one at a time.
    12-29-08 01:06 PM
    You could move pics from your phone too. go to media/pic then highlight the pic you want to move. Click BBbutton, then "move", then select "device memory" and click "move into". its the same when you want to move a pic from the device memory to the memory card
    12-29-08 01:30 PM
    I just moved mine (admittedly not that many) by plugging it in and doing it in windows. I noticed that after a battery pull everything appeared where it should be and it seems the device has remapped the tones that are already set to the new location. Can anyone confirm, or is something weird going on? If so, that's pretty damn cool!
    12-29-08 02:19 PM
    [QUOTE=hexenmeister;1286544]

I was wondering if people like to keep their ringtones and wallpapers on their device memory or SD card. If you keep it on one or the other, why?

I have been storing my walls and rings on my memory card for the sake of saving space on the phone. However, I will try moving them to my device memory to see if it makes my storm run faster/better (and to see if it makes a difference regarding that pesky "memory card" error I get periodically since installing .85).
    12-29-08 02:41 PM
    I just moved mine (admittedly not that many) by plugging it in and doing it in windows. I noticed that after a battery pull everything appeared where it should be and it seems the device has remapped the tones that are already set to the new location. Can anyone confirm, or is something weird going on? If so, that's pretty damn cool!
    Mine did not remap. When it booted up the ringtones still showed in my contact profiles, but then when a call actually came in it was silent. A few hours later all my contacts had magically reset to a default tone. So, I had to go through all my contacts and change the ringers back. I also had to reset my standard tone and my alarm ringer. Total PITA since I have a different MP3 for almost every contact. If yours truly did remap automatically I would say that's pretty cool and you are one lucky dude!

BTW, for those doing this to fix the card error, make sure all your ringtones and wallpaper have been remapped before you pull the battery and boot. The first time I rebooted after moving the files I still got the card error, but now that the phone isn't searching for anything on the card it seems to be working OK. Well, at least it booted up fine with the card in it the one time I did it after remapping everything!
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 12-29-08 at 04:20 PM. Reason: More info.
    12-29-08 04:12 PM
    Ok I moved rings and walls and yes, there is a noticeable difference in how my phone runs - snappier, less lag. Would've never thought to do this myself.
    12-30-08 06:12 AM
    Also, haven't had media card error on reboots since I moved the files to device memory.
    12-30-08 06:15 AM
    Alas, memory card error came back yesterday. Took 2 battery pulls to remove it. Moving the files did not solve this problem after all.
    12-31-08 01:19 AM
    So it doesn't fix the media card error...but does it really make the phone any faster by moving the wallpapers/ringtones to the phone's memory instead of the SD card?
    12-31-08 10:19 AM
    Since I moved my ringtones and wallpapers to my device memory, my phone seems to be snappier. I still get the memory card problem, but it's not that often. I can live with it. Beats using .83 and .75.
    01-01-09 06:09 PM
    Count me in... I moved all my wallpapers and ringtones to my internal memory and it really made it faster. I run VisualArts and there used to be a noticeable hang whenever the bkg swap happened. Now it just chugs along.
    01-01-09 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD