Hi All,
    My question is in regards to ringtones. I am a product of the rock age back in the **gasp** late 70's-early 80's era. Would love to download some great rock classics but not finding a great selection out there, especially ones that use the chorus, which is really the meat of any song. Need to get a good one for my husbands ring. Found a great "Pour some sugar on me" by Def Leppard on Myxer.com only I'm in Canada on Rogers and not sure if downloading will work. If some of you Rogers customers can weight in and let me know if you have experience with this site, costs for downloading from the U.S...or if any Ontario people might know some Canadian based sites that I should check out, would be a greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
    vitalsignsRN
    04-02-11 01:50 PM
    You might want to check out Audacity. I use it to make my own ringtones from MP3s on my hard disk.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-02-11 at 02:21 PM.
    04-02-11 02:06 PM
    04-02-11 02:21 PM
    MP3 Ringtone Creator from Appworld. I got it last week and I really like it, definitely worth the $2.99. A lot of ringers I find have more of the quote or song than I like, so I can edit those down or edit a full song down to whatever part I want. It let's you increase or decrease the base volume of the ringtone and also can fade in or out. The only downside is that it takes a while to open if you have a ton of songs like I do. It would be better if it would let you search your files manually instead of pulling every mp3 you have to the list.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 02:22 PM
    MP3 Ringtone Creator from Appworld. I got it last week and I really like it, definitely worth the $2.99. A lot of ringers I find have more of the quote or song than I like, so I can edit those down or edit a full song down to whatever part I want. It let's you increase or decrease the base volume of the ringtone and also can fade in or out. The only downside is that it takes a while to open if you have a ton of songs like I do. It would be better if it would let you search your files manually instead of pulling every mp3 you have to the list.

That might be an option. I prefer Audacity, since it is free.
    04-02-11 02:29 PM
    Audacity is a great tool and like lak611 says, it is free. However you also need to install the Lame (yes, that's its name) MP3 encoder plugin.

The relevant links for downloading are here

Audacity
    Audacity: Download
    Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

When chopping up songs, try to keep them as short as possible. 30 seconds is about the safe maximum as it will take up memory.

Also try to keep the ringtone as small as possible. I do this by setting the sampling rate to 96kbps. This rate would not be good for serious listening on headphones but on a ringtone, it works well.

If you are comfortable with using compression, try setting a compression ratio of 6:1 (which would be pretty heavy for normal audio) to make the quiet bits louder.

Lastly, you should normalize the levels which brings the levels up as loud as the mp3 file can handle.
    04-02-11 03:28 PM
    I just like the convenience of being able to do it right on the device (I'm hardly ever on my pc at home and making ringtones is a no no at work). Audacity is decent and free, but kind of a pain in the arse. I'd say the 2.99 is money weel spent if you do it a lot which I do. Also a good free web based ootion is phone zoo. I used to do that, up load what you want, chop it and save it or send it to your phone.

04-02-11 03:54 PM
    I have had some luck at zedge.com

04-02-11 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD