Hey Guys,

Thought I would post this for anyone* else who had their vibrate stop working on a curve (83xx).

*This will most likely not be the same reason your vibrator stopped working... I am only posting this because it worked for me, and maybe it is the same reason others stopped working. There is not very much information about this online.

History:
    -Bought a used curve on craigslist. Checked to see it worked (turned on made a call).
    -Never thought to check the vibrate function (never heard of it not working on a phone).

Well I later discovered that the vibrate did not work at all and I tried all the software options to get it back. (A good way to check is when selecting a vibrate option from the advanced ringer settings, the phone should o a quick vibrate to let you know it is selected)

Solution:

*Do this at your own risk, read first as well. This solution may not apply to your blackberry!*

I disassembled the unit (there are many guides online). I could then see the vibrator.

There are two components on the board at the top of the vibrator. On my unit one of them was cracked.

I used a soldering iron to remove the cracked component. I then created a solder bridge on the two pads of where the component used to be.

I am not sure what the broken part was, I know it is polarized (one end + the other -) because of the black bar on it. I think it is a protection diode for the motor. When power to the motor is shut off it may take a few extra rotations for it to come to a stop. During this time the motor is acting as a generator and can send a voltage back into the circuits of the blackberry. A protection diode prevents the current from traveling back into the blackberry, thus protecting it in the event the motor generates electricity and sends it back to the circuits.

Removing this protection diode (if that is what it is) and bridging the pads where it used to be could cause your blackberry to have a lot more problems than simply not vibrating. My phone was not under warranty and I had nothing to lose.

Also there may be an issue with the above method, or my vibrator is dying since the vibrations do not feel as strong as on my bold or 8900.

Please see the attached pictures.

Picture Link: Curve Vibrator
    08-24-09 08:34 AM
    Ya, there is so much wrong with this.

I suspect you are going to have serious battery problems in the near future if anything.
    08-24-09 10:19 AM
    Go to radio shack, buy a small diode and replace the busted one!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 02:46 PM
    I don't think many here are going to go that far to get their bb working. I do like the title though to this thread got be thinking of lewd comments but I am not going too....
    08-24-09 03:39 PM
    hmmm... the title of this thread could lead to something entirely different depending on who reads it lol
    08-24-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD