So I had it preordered through The Source, it arrived at a local store and I picked it up today. After about 5 minutes, I went back and returned it! lol

I had been using the touchpad keyboard, which is perfect imo. Figured I'd give this a try. Basically, its too small for two hands to type effeciently, and too big for the same reason. The keys feel really weird, they're too far spaced apart, and it just didn't feel right. I'd rather use my 9800 to type, or the keyboard I bought for the hp touchpad.

The keyboard feels as solid as the playbook, the case is tough too. The keyboard has a charging port and on/off switch on the left side, which is kinda covered by the strap that hold the keyboard in place.

P.S. I leave the touchpad keyboard in my work van, and only use it when i'm in there. From a PC, to a mobile phone...physical keyboards are better.
    03-23-12 07:21 PM
    Good to see that I'm not the only nut that feels the same way. Appreciate the validation on how I feel about the keyboard.
    Truth he known, with predictive text on the PlayBook it is much faster than the bluetooth keyboard...

Comments for improvement:
    - use real leather if they plan to charge $120 for it. $99 is still overpriced Imo.
    - use a folding full sized keyboard. I don't mind having a fatter case.
    - keys ought to be staggered
    - use track point vs trackpad.
    - usb port or memory slot would be nice to have.
    03-25-12 09:59 PM
    I'm thinking about taking mine back as well. Along with what you noted above, I find the two finger scrolling is very sensitive.

I just hope they take it back with the original receipt.

Mike
    03-26-12 07:07 PM
    It's not perfect but it gets the job done for me.
    You can tell the marketing team really isn't all there though. In no way, shape, or form do you see the BlackBerry logo anywhere on the case while using it as intended. The logo is behind the keyboard, which rests on the case, and under the case where the keyboard lies, is the 2nd BB logo. The 3rd is extremely subtle, and its where the case jacket actually folds, making it virtually impossible to spot. The other 2 you can't spot at all, like forget it.

Anyways, as I said its not perfect, but I'm enjoying it. Although it does get used to typing with it at first, I am much more accustomed to it now.. Writing with it as i speak (or type.. lol). Really comes down to preference, I like it and it comes in handy for me.
    03-26-12 07:52 PM
    I like it. The Trackpad is great, the combo is excellent. I love the way it turns my playbook into a great desktop with the use of splashtop. I was also quite impressed with the fact that I can now navigate my PS3 screens without pressing the X button a million times. My only complaint is that I would have liked the material on the case to be the same as my journal case.

Also on a side note, I find it frustrating for people to get something on day one, use it for 5 minutes and then take the time to tell us why it is not any good.
    Last edited by tfmartin; 03-27-12 at 10:09 AM.
    03-26-12 11:39 PM
    Has anyone figured out if the 'F' keys work, and what they do? I didn't see them listed in the instruction book I downloaded from the BB site. I think I remember reading somewhere they worked PlayBook features.

Birddog2
    03-27-12 10:26 AM
    I believe the F keys are there for remote desktop purposes, for controlling a windows pc remotely.
    anon(1440669) likes this.
    03-27-12 11:16 PM
    Just picked it up and I like it. While the keyboard is small, it just takes a moment to get used to typing normally on it and I am 6'3" so it's not like I have small hands.

Nice material,lightweight and I like that they keyboard is individual from the case itself.
    04-01-12 09:26 PM
    Is this the same keyboard that is on the Blackberry shop site that is currently sold out? If so I might reconsider ordering it. I have big hands so it has to be the right feel or it is not going to work in most cases.
    04-03-12 08:34 PM
    Is this the same keyboard that is on the Blackberry shop site that is currently sold out? If so I might reconsider ordering it. I have big hands so it has to be the right feel or it is not going to work in most cases.
    To be honest, I find the combo is really nice. I have medium sized hands.. The keyboard does take getting used to, it is a tad small, but I am flying through it right now as we speak.
    04-03-12 09:38 PM
    Would really consider it, if it had a built in battery that would charge my playbook a bit!
    04-08-12 09:48 AM
    Good to see that I'm not the only nut that feels the same way. Appreciate the validation on how I feel about the keyboard.
    Truth he known, with predictive text on the PlayBook it is much faster than the bluetooth keyboard...

Comments for improvement:
    - use real leather if they plan to charge $120 for it. $99 is still overpriced Imo.
    - use a folding full sized keyboard. I don't mind having a fatter case.
    - keys ought to be staggered
    - use track point vs trackpad.
    - usb port or memory slot would be nice to have.
    Real leather is good, well said mate!
    04-14-12 10:17 PM
    I have just got delivery an affordable alternative from ebay.ca
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=xyF3AvBz

There are other vendors in ebay too apparently (search keyboard, playbook)

It is around $50 shipping included from Ont. It works good and the BT link is instant.
    But I need to get used to without the 'delete' key on top of the smaller than average keyboard. But that is understood given its size. It looks cool too.
    I have not used the one at 'Source'. So I cannot compare

Daniel , Tor
    p.s. no touchpad. But you can do that on the cap screen
    Last edited by dtong22; 04-17-12 at 01:15 PM.
    04-17-12 01:11 PM
    I just got my PB-BT case yesterday for my bday and so far its a hit/miss.

Im loving the case its self. Its a mix between the Journal Case with the elastic band closer and the outside and inside of the Convertible Case. The kick stand on the back of it sets it at a good angel for viewing, just make sure you dont have a light above your head. With your PlayBook and keyboard in the case it feels a bit on the heavy side though, but not as heavy as most laptops which is the idea of this case/keyboard combo.

The keyboard is a little odd but I'm warming up to it. My first impression was that the keys were oddly placed. I kept either missing the key or hitting it twice because i didn't feel my finger connect the first time. I don't have large hands by any standards, neither are they small but i do have long fingers and that doesn't bode well. When doing some practice typing i found it better/easier to take the keyboard out of the case and either type with it flat on a desk or holding onto it like you would the PlayBook.

Some things id like to see done differently would be instead of the elastics holding it down make it be like fridge magnets. it would hold it in place while typing, be easy out and in of the case, and they wouldn't get in the way while typing (the top right is a pain). A second thing would be a stand alone stand for the keyboard. Just like i always raise the legs on a computer keyboard id like the same option on this one.

EDIT: after another day of playing around with the keyboard i noticed a few more things...There is no spell check if the keyboard is connected. you have to disconnect it then open the virtual one and spell check from there, being a poor speller that is very annoying. a positive is that you can have your rapid charger plugged into your PB while it is in the case
    Last edited by JAGWIRE; 05-06-12 at 10:36 AM.
    05-05-12 10:27 AM
    I have a very basic question, and maybe an easy one to answer, but is there any way to side scroll on this keyboard? Scrolling vertically is a little sensitive but functional, however, I have found no way to side scroll (horizontal). Has anyone figured this out?

For example, when in a basic app like App World, I cannot get the thing to scroll through the features sideways.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    05-22-12 12:39 PM
    I find that keyboard is a little sensitive as when I type, I find that it registers doubles quite often. That compiled with the lack of auto correct makes me have to triple check my work.
    Construction is solid although I question the on/off switch on the bottom left corner; it gets covered by the elastic strap. It would of made more sense to place the switch on the top where it is concealed and protected by the case.

While I'm talking about the case, I wonder why they chose to use elastics to hold the keyboard while use a rubber skin to hold the PlayBook. I would of thought it would make more sense for the keyboard to also have a rubber skin to hold the keyboard and have it molded in a way so that both skins link up flush; that's just me.
    ZayDub likes this.
    05-30-12 09:19 PM
    I find the case and keyboard work pretty well but I think wifi is impacted. Testing for a while without the case.
    06-01-12 08:15 PM
    Day One Impressions...

I ordered this thing on Easter and just got it in the mail from ShopCrackberry today. So not exactly sure how RIM's supply chain team works (who releases a new product that no one can get their hands on??) but hoping new COO Krisitan Tear addresses...

Everything everyone else has commented on is true. It's a pain to type on. The keys are too small etc etc. My top pet peeves are:

1. Non-standard keyboard layout (keys are vertically aligned, not offset). My fingers don't know where to fall.

2. Scrolling. Why is double finger scrolling so frickin fast?? I can't scroll up and down a webpage without it flying by. Must use arrow keys for any hope of getting to the right thing. And mouse pointer moves too slow. Why aren't these things adjustable?

3. Trackpad. When typing my fingers will randomly hit trackpad causing cursor to move to some random location (in some cases to a web link, causing page to change and me to lose everything I was working on). I wish there was a mouse button on this thing, not just a tap-able trackpad.

It's also overpriced. But in the plus column, it looks great, the size is perfect for my backpack when traveling (will be going on its first of many plane rides this Friday) and I think I might actually use it to get some emails out. In my book that's a win.

So maybe a 3 out of 5 stars. But I still like it. Kinda like my phone, ha.

*typed with my Mini Keyboard*
    06-05-12 12:58 AM
    So there is no auto correct? I guess I will go with the convertible case.
    06-10-12 12:04 AM
    Oh man, reading these posts feel like a kick in the groin. I have wondered how actually useful the keyboard would be. Guess that with both these posts and the fact that I use my Playbook in a very "pick-it-up&put-it-back-all-in-1-minute" attitude, I highly doubt using the keyboard will be any useful.. Still, maybe I will give it a try at least, if my wallet ever gains more money to spend!
    07-12-12 03:29 PM
    Any type keyboards and cases I hope you can rely on Makers Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Leatherette Case and Stand for Blackberry Playbook | JSXL Technology - Your Factory in the Cloud. with in your reach and stylish presentation.
    04-16-13 03:15 PM
    Why you are not trying this Makers Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Leatherette Case and Stand for Blackberry Playbook for only $49.99 USD. This is very Helpful and Less Cost for you people..
    Makers Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Leatherette Case and Stand for Blackberry Playbook | JSXL Technology - Your Factory in the Cloud.
    05-05-13 05:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD