Can I play media (like videos, pictures, and PowerPoint) with a cable plugged directly from a BlackBerry into a TV or projector. Example: With my iPod video, I can plug a cable directly into a TV or projector from my iPod and play movies and slide shows.

Please don't reply and tell me Impatica ShowMate because it cost $200+.
    10-30-08 09:42 AM
    Bump......
    10-31-08 11:00 AM
    I just read the Storm Specs and it stated there was a 4 pole head phone jack. The 4 pole is what is on devices that are able to transmit video. Now I just need someone to comfirm whether videos can be transmitted via a cable directly to a projector or tv.
    11-03-08 04:56 PM
    Bump......
    11-05-08 08:42 AM
    11-05-08 09:52 AM
    YES! That is it. Will a Blackberry work with that type of cable and be able to play both audio and video?
    11-18-08 08:33 AM
    YES! That is it. Will a Blackberry work with that type of cable and be able to play both audio and video?
    Why not order one and give it a try? Or call and ask if it will work with your phone, and if not, can it be returned without a restocking fee.

I'm no expert, but the only problem I can see is no hardware/software support for sending video out, even with a cable like the link tjgrey pointed out.

The worst that can happen is you're out a few bucks.
    11-18-08 10:08 AM
    Don't waste your time on that cable. The reason BBs have a 4 contact head phone jack is for a microphone, not video out.
    11-18-08 10:16 AM
    A microphone?
    rats
    I already had that cable anyway.
    11-18-08 10:30 AM
    Have you tried bbscreenstream?
    http://oppitronic.de/public/files/sc...reenstream.htm

It records/displays what's on the screen of your BB on your PC.
    Hook your pc up to an LCD projector and they can see your BB screen in real-time (it's a second or two delayed) but it should work.
    Last edited by netposer; 11-18-08 at 11:17 AM.
    11-18-08 11:02 AM
    Have you tried bbscreenstream?
    http://oppitronic.de/public/files/sc...reenstream.htm

It records/displays what's on the screen of your BB on your PC.
    Hook your pc up to an LCD projector and they can see your BB screen in real-time (it's a second or two delayed) but it should work.
    I think this is a better link for the above program:

oppitronic.[net|de]

The download icon is way over on the far right of the screen and takes you to another download page before you finally can download a small .exe. I haven't installed it yet... might after lunch.
    11-18-08 11:20 AM
    I think this is a better link for the above program:

oppitronic.[net|de]

The download icon is way over on the far right of the screen and takes you to another download page before you finally can download a small .exe. I haven't installed it yet... might after lunch.
    I tested the capture and it plays back a bit fast with fades from screen to screen. I'll play with it some more and maybe post a video or two to see how it looks. I would put "click" sound effects into the video so the view knows with you clicked/selected something.

Also you will need javaloader.exe for this to work and if you have JL_Cmder v1.9.0 you can find this .exe in JL_Cmder's install folder.
    11-18-08 11:24 AM
    The point was to only use only the BlackBerry with cable plugged directly to TV or projector to display video and audio.
    * If I had a PC, I would not need the BlackBerry. I would just plug the PC to the projector or just watch whatever on my PC.
    * If I have to buy some other expensive device to use my BlackBerry, then I might as well just get a laptop for the combined price.

The thing is, I figured if and iPod can play video and audio from it's 3.5mm jack (which it can), I just guessed maybe BB would also.
    11-18-08 12:13 PM
    Did you ever get an answer to this question?
    03-24-09 10:44 AM
    Part of the issue is looking at what functions were built into each product.

The iPod (and even my Zune) have TV out capabilities built into them. They are manufactured specifically with the video capabilities to send audio and video to a television set.

I use my Zune all the time for this when I travel. I have about 100 movies, tv shows, and video podcasts on my Zune. All I have to do is connect it to the hotel's television and I have a wide selection of videos to watch while on the road.

I don't think BlackBerries have video out capabilities built into them. At least, they were not designed for that function. Most videos are usually half-VGA or smaller on the BB, so watching them on a regular televsion might get very pixelated as well. The 3.5mm jack on the side is a four-pole plug, with two for stereo, one for microphone, and one for ground. The one on your iPod sends out video instead of having a microphone (your BB is a phone, afterall).

BBScreenStream is probably the best available option for he BB at this time. It would be interesting to see if a bluetooth option would work (although I don't know if BBs have the ability to send screen output via bluetooth). That would be pretty kewl - watch your BB wirelessly on TV.
    03-24-09 11:09 AM
    I wonder if it would be possible to send the video out of the USB port? I'm sure it would require drivers and maybe a special cable.
    03-24-09 11:33 AM
    Bump
    Has anyone figured this out?
    11-06-09 01:40 PM
    I could be wrong but I don't think video out is in the cards. Just a left channel audio, right channel audio (aka stereo) and a mic. No video at all that I know of...

Wish it did though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD