Hi all. I've already received more help on here than from VZ cs, so here goes another question. I just got a Curve, and when I put it in the belt clip (holster), the phone seems to lock. I can get calls and texts and stuff, but can't light it up to see who's calling, or the time. I need to take it out. Is there a way to stop this? Thanks.

Justin
    05-26-08 10:55 AM
    options - security options - general settings - lock handheld upon holstering
    that should stop your bb from getting locked every time you put it in
    05-26-08 11:02 AM
    Hey, appreciate the reply. I guess I should have explained better. It doesn't exactly "lock" per se. My setting was already on no. If I changed to yes, I see how you need a password to get back in and stuff. It doesn't exactly lock, but I can't do anything on the phone until I pull it out of the holster, so I'm thinking it's something else.
    05-26-08 11:13 AM
    what holster do you have? is the bb front facing?
    05-26-08 11:14 AM
    Hey, appreciate the reply. I guess I should have explained better. It doesn't exactly "lock" per se. My setting was already on no. If I changed to yes, I see how you need a password to get back in and stuff. It doesn't exactly lock, but I can't do anything on the phone until I pull it out of the holster, so I'm thinking it's something else.
    so it's not locked (as in entering your password) but you can't do anything on it?
    That's strange
    05-26-08 11:20 AM
    Does your holster have a magnet in it? that could be the issue. I have had problems w/ my pearl if it gets close to any magnetic charges. My screen would got white and freeze also.
    05-26-08 11:24 AM
    The magnet in the holster puts the phone in standby (by design).

What kind of holster do you have?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 11:27 AM
    Not sure if there is a magnet in it, but it's called Seidio BB8300AS. That's what they gave me at the store when I asked. Yes, there was a sticker that said "face this way," I guess meaning face backwards, which I think is stupid to begin with because that makes it impossible to view without taking it out, so I was putting it in the normal way. Does this thing have a magnet in it? Not a great idea. But yeah, it is still able to receive calls and texts, just have to take it out to see who they're from.
    05-26-08 11:37 AM
    yes, its magnetized. Putting it face-in helps protect the keys and the screen.

here is the full description:

RUBBERIZED SPRING CLIP SWIVEL HOLSTER FOR UN-SKINNED BLACKBERRY 8330 - HLBB8330AS
    05-26-08 11:53 AM
    Hey, thanks for all the info! What a piece of ****! Who would have thought this would be a good idea? Now I have to go buy a new holster. What a stupid invention. Makes me want to go invent something. I'm sure I can come up with a crappy, useless device that will make people's lives more difficult as well.
    05-26-08 11:59 AM
    send it to me for proper disposal. I'll pay shipping
    05-26-08 12:11 PM
    So there is a magnet in the holster that comes with the phone interesting stuff here. Thanks I was also curious as to why it would enter Stand-by.
    05-26-08 01:11 PM
    send it to me for proper disposal. I'll pay shipping
    First time I've heard such a complaint about a Seidio product. I'll be happy to take it as well.
    05-26-08 01:16 PM
    Well the reason for this is so it saves battery life when you put it on your belt and are not using it. But I have a holster from att that doesn't have a magnet. I wish it did. I guess it is just preference.

05-26-08 01:18 PM
    I'd love to get it also

05-26-08 01:21 PM
    I thought all BB holsters/cases were designed w/ the magnet inside so it'd enter sleep mode. Who would want to risk phone being lit up in holster causing the battery to die. I guess at that point it wouldn't matter what the phone was in if the battery is dead. That's not priceless; just useless.

05-26-08 01:26 PM
    I rather the 'inconvenience' of having to look at it over expecting an important call/message and missing it because the battery died, but that's just me. HEE!
    05-26-08 01:31 PM
    I thought all BB holsters/cases were designed w/ the magnet inside so it'd enter sleep mode.
    Not all do. A lot of the plastic holsters (Speck for instance) don't have a magnet. Best thing to do if one has one with no magnet is to manually put it in standby by pressing the button on the top left of the BB
    05-26-08 01:37 PM
    Not all do. A lot of the plastic holsters (Speck for instance) don't have a magnet. Best thing to do if one has one with no magnet is to manually put it in standby by pressing the button on the top left of the BB
    Thank you for that.. I often forget placing my BB into standby mode. I guess I'm just used to using the pouch that came with the BB. I've been looking for a case and havent seen anything that I particularly like. My HTC Touch case may do the trick- thats if the Pearl fits in it.
    05-26-08 02:17 PM
    Hey, thanks for all the info! What a piece of ****! Who would have thought this would be a good idea? Now I have to go buy a new holster. What a stupid invention. Makes me want to go invent something. I'm sure I can come up with a crappy, useless device that will make people's lives more difficult as well.
    Are you serious? It is a brilliant design that helps you keep your battery from dying due to the backlight being lit up when you aren't using the phone. The whole idea is to KEEP the HOLSTER on your belt and REMOVE the phone, which will light the screen up instantly; to go even further, if you get a new email or text message and it is in the holster, when you pull it out it will automatically open the new message so you don't have to click anything to view it.

You are the first and only person I have ever seen call it a bad idea and actually get mad at it.... I am really not trying to be rude, but why buy a holster if you aren't going to A)use it to keep your screen away from damage, and B) keep it on your belt so you can actually benefit from the ease of sliding the phone in and out instead of undoing the clip?

If you are going to have it screen out and actually remove the entire holster every time you want to look at the phone, why don't you just keep it in your pocket, it would actually be easier and safer. If you happen to be a woman and keep it in a purse, just use the little sleeve that came with it to keep it safe while it is in there and then you will actually have to remove it to look at it, and your problem will become non existent.
    05-26-08 03:11 PM
    Well the reason for this is so it saves battery life when you put it on your belt and are not using it. But I have a holster from att that doesn't have a magnet. I wish it did. I guess it is just preference.

The one i got from att has a magnet which is a nice feature.
    05-26-08 03:15 PM
    Sounds to me like you didn't do your research. You can't blame someone else for that. I have a magnetized holster and love it. Of course, I did my research and desired the feature. I'm sure there's one out there without a magnet. I must say, the design of that holster does seem a bit silly to have a magnet. Mine is the leather one that the BB actually goes into the holster. In my case the magnet prevents keys from being pushed or calls from being made while holstered. I'm not sure why the holster you bought has this feature.
    05-26-08 03:41 PM
    First off, I want to say I do appreciate everyone's help, but everyone relax - I'm not complaining, it's not the worst thing in the world - I'm just pissed. If I wanted the phone in stand by I would do it myself. I am not one of those people that feels I should have to research for a week about a friggin holster. And I had a diff one for the Pearl, but when I exchanged the phone they just gave me this, so it's ok.
    05-26-08 08:05 PM
    It's all about what you want. If you dont want the phone to go in standby, then thats your choice. I use the phone and web alot and benifit from the standby. For me it works. For you it doesn't and thats just fine also.
    05-26-08 08:26 PM
    I personally love the magnet, keeps me from making calls when its holstered
    05-26-08 08:56 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD