I'm having a hard time choosing between the Otterbox and the official 9800 holster when I get my 9800.

Could I the the otterbox and still have it sit in the holster? or is it too big?

Otterbox:
    Pros: - Always protecting the Torch even when dropped (excluding screen)
    Cons: - No belt holster. Can only fit in pocket

Holster:
    Pros: - Always protected when in leather pouch.
    - Standby on/off when put in.
    Cons: - When out of pouch, can get damaged if dropped.

What would you crackberry users prefer?
    09-14-10 05:43 PM
    i think i might just go with a protective clear case and a holster
    09-14-10 05:46 PM
    I would just run with the holster.
    I hate that the cases make the whole look and feel of the device change. And I presonally would hate to cover up all of the chrome, looks too good to cover it.

Plus, it makes the phone even bigger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 06:25 PM
    Having the Otterbox case would have saved the nasty chip in the edge of my slider after the phone slipped out of my hand. Case comes tomorrow at least.

09-14-10 06:49 PM
    I have the Otterbox and have the AGF holster case. The AGF has elastic on the sides so the Torch in the Otterbox does fit, although rather snuggly. Last week I was at Blackberry store and tried out the official holster case. It doesn't fit the Torch while in the Otterbox. Only precaution with AGF is I recommend storing screen towards hip and not face out, the magnet on the front flap was leaving a dark circle on the screen protector.

09-14-10 06:56 PM
    I've been using the Otterbox case and I was happy with it...until I dropped my phone today and the glass screen cracked. I think that if it had been in the holster as well as the Otterbox case this wouldn't have happened.

I doubt that it'd fit in the OEM holster with the Otterbox case though. Please tell me if I'm wrong, because I'm planning on finding a way to keep this from happening to the Torch I'll get to replace this one.
    09-14-10 07:22 PM
    I've been using the Otterbox case and I was happy with it...until I dropped my phone today and the glass screen cracked. I think that if it had been in the holster as well as the Otterbox case this wouldn't have happened.

I doubt that it'd fit in the OEM holster with the Otterbox case though. Please tell me if I'm wrong, because I'm planning on finding a way to keep this from happening to the Torch I'll get to replace this one.
    If you can find a 9000 OEM holster it will work with the otterbox.
    09-14-10 07:31 PM
    I have the Otterbox and have the AGF holster case. The AGF has elastic on the sides so the Torch in the Otterbox does fit, although rather snuggly. Last week I was at Blackberry store and tried out the official holster case. It doesn't fit the Torch while in the Otterbox. Only precaution with AGF is I recommend storing screen towards hip and not face out, the magnet on the front flap was leaving a dark circle on the screen protector.

I'm liking this combo. Otterbox and AGF holster case.

Link for people:

AGF Case
    BlackBerry Torch Leather Pouch - AT&T - BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch - Pouches - AGF

Otterbox
    BlackBerry Torch Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com

I don't mind paying the extra for protection at all. I hate when my shiny new toys don't become shiny anymore.
    09-14-10 07:31 PM
    Really? Hmm...that's a good thought.
    09-14-10 07:32 PM
    I've used the holster on my Storm since day 1.. Still in perfect condition! I like being able to show off the device when you're using it.
    09-14-10 07:50 PM
    Really? Hmm...that's a good thought.
    Yes, that is what I'm using daily
    09-14-10 09:39 PM
    I have the otterbox but have stopped using it. It is way too bulky for me and the top piece gives the phone a 70's darth vader look. If they would have made it without the raised ridge it would be much more appealing.
    09-14-10 09:44 PM
    I have an Otterbox and I am using a Bold 9000 horizontal holster. I chose to put an additional magnet in the middle of the holster so it would put the phone into sleep mode. Without the Otterbox, the Torch was loose in the holster. With the Otterbox, it is a nice fit. Very nice combination in my opinion.

C
    09-14-10 09:50 PM
    Thanks for the tip! I have my 9000 holster laying around somewhere. Now it's just a matter of looking for it =D
    09-14-10 10:46 PM
    I would go with the holster. I dont like having the phone in my pocket if I dont have to. Plus, I have noticed that the phone is hard to damage if it is in a holster.

09-14-10 11:42 PM
    Going to be going with the otterbox and an oem 9000 holster. Otterbox comes in today so I'll post my opinions
    09-15-10 08:17 AM
    Going to be going with the otterbox and an oem 9000 holster. Otterbox comes in today so I'll post my opinions
    Do you have an update for us? Does the combination work well?
    09-16-10 06:38 PM
    Do you have an update for us? Does the combination work well?
    That combo works just fine, the 9000 holster fits the Torch + Otterbox like they were made to go together.
    09-16-10 07:39 PM
    Does anyone know of a horizontal holster for the 9800, that will make it "sleep"?
    09-16-10 07:52 PM
    I literally HATE wearing my phone on my belt. Looks strange to me and to nerdy. Always have put phone in pocket. So far the Otter Box is working fine. phone was already large and not that much larger with the OB in my opinion.
    09-16-10 07:59 PM
    no update yet. Got the otterbox case on there. It's decent. I liked the otterbox for the 9700 better but this is still great for protecting my torch. I get the 9000 oem case tomorrow hopefully. I'll update when I receive it. From what I hear it should be fine, however one of my friends said it was kind of tight.
    09-16-10 08:02 PM
    I enjoy my Otter box case. It provides minimal screen protection but its better than having your device completely naked. In a perfect world I wouldn't need a case and my phone would never fall victim to concrete collisions. But we all know this world isn't perfect. Protect your berry. If you take care of it when you upgrade you can sell your current device for a decent price.
    09-16-10 09:05 PM
    Got my Otterbox case today. Phone is now a little larger but the cover around the bezel now hides the scratches on the slider after the fall last week

09-16-10 10:04 PM
    A day after installing my Otterbox I dropped my Torch ~3.5 ft. onto a ceramic floor. Landed on the top edge, but the only damage was a nick to the OB just to the side of the lock button. Money well spent!

It fell because it slid off a stack of paperwork I was carrying in. I've since added egrip silicone to the back of the OB.

While the OB does add some bulk, I actually prefer it to the feel of the Torch. The slim tapered sides of the naked device are very slippery in my hands. OB gives me something substantial to hold onto, and the edges have just the right amount of texture to prevent slippage.
    09-16-10 11:09 PM
    A day after installing my Otterbox I dropped my Torch ~3.5 ft. onto a ceramic floor. Landed on the top edge, but the only damage was a nick to the OB just to the side of the lock button. Money well spent!

It fell because it slid off a stack of paperwork I was carrying in. I've since added egrip silicone to the back of the OB.

While the OB does add some bulk, I actually prefer it to the feel of the Torch. The slim tapered sides of the naked device are very slippery in my hands. OB gives me something substantial to hold onto, and the edges have just the right amount of texture to prevent slippage.
    Glad you like it.

I got mine today and put it on the phone. My first impression was that I really didn't like it. But as the day has gone on, i've gotten used to it and kinda prefer the size it adds to the phone. For some reason it's easier for me to slide the phone open now, and typing is a bit easier cuz it feels like a bigger phone.

Prolly a placebo effect but whatever keeps me happy I guess...
    09-17-10 12:42 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD