Thank god for my Otterbox case. I ran over my phone with the trailer and it survived. I'm talking all three axles of a transport trailer fully loaded. It wasn't an intentional test either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 08:13 PM
    i suggest doing it again, this time on video.
    07-15-10 08:15 PM
    Otterbox might even give you something for the video...
    07-15-10 08:23 PM
    Put the video on youtube and share it here!

Congrats on your phone surviving, I might have a heart attack if I ran over mine.

07-15-10 09:09 PM
    Here's the numbers. 23000 kgs divided by 12 tires is 1916 kgs a tire or 4225 lbs a tire. 3 tires ran over it in a row.

07-15-10 09:30 PM
    Epic?

10 characters ...
    07-15-10 09:35 PM
    Which model otterbox did you have? I am seeking the defender for mine. Traveling to the Caribbean next month and hoping to find it for cheaper than the 50 bucks Cdn here.
    07-15-10 10:05 PM
    Which model otterbox did you have? I am seeking the defender for mine. Traveling to the Caribbean next month and hoping to find it for cheaper than the 50 bucks Cdn here.
    his profile states "Device Model: 9700 (Bold) in an Otterbox Defender" so my guess its in a Commuter box.
    07-15-10 10:47 PM
    Hard exo-skeleton with think rubber cover.

07-15-10 10:58 PM
    i've been using just a silicone case for my blackberry's but i have to replace then every month. i was wondering how thick the otterbox is compared to a silicone case. thanks.
    07-15-10 11:20 PM
    With this one and my fat fingers, the Q A ALT P DEL and ENTER keys can be tricky. I wouldn't trade for slim any day after this today.

07-15-10 11:30 PM
    Here are some pics of my Otterbox and phone. The keyboard did suffer slight damage to the <sym> key. I spoke with Otterbox this morning and told them what happened. They were impressed with the amount of weight the unit held under. Because if the known issue with the Defender jumping out of the holster, they are going to reimburse for a new keyboard, and when the new holster is available, send me it too. They have designed a better holster but it is not yet in production.
    07-16-10 08:15 PM
    Dude that's very impressive, I'm glad I have an otter. I see a possible commercial for them.

07-17-10 02:35 AM
    Love my Otterbox, although it is a Commuter series. Don't plan on dropping my phone much less running it over of course lol. Their customer service sounds awesome also, and that's what will keep me as a long term customer, with the reputation getting me in the first place. Thanks for sharing

07-18-10 12:20 AM
    Wow, that is pretty impressive. Good to hear your phone survived
    07-18-10 02:16 AM
    Damn that's impressive, I may have to invest in an Outterbox case...
    07-18-10 02:42 AM
    I am glad to see the phone live through that. No i am glad i bought one for my phone
    07-18-10 08:42 AM
    Here is a pic of my unit with the load that ran over my BB in its Otterbox
    07-24-10 07:38 PM
    damn. wow glad ur phone survived. how are they going to know to send u the new model once it comes out? u think they will or are they just saying it?
    07-25-10 08:04 AM
    Otterbox seems to be indeed a badass protection case for the 9700 but my personal opinion it makes the phone lose its significant good looks. Your going to tell me that doing certain jobs that require max protection looks ain't as important but damn that phone is meant to be looked at ^^

Other than that I wouldn't think for a second buying an Otterbox if I was in a construction business or somewhere that It's very much likely to drop the BB
    07-25-10 02:49 PM
    that is awesome! i have an otterbox but i don't like it at all. it is really good, but i hate the rubber skins. it gets stuck in my pocket when i go to take it out.
    07-28-10 06:48 AM
    Otterbox is awesome!
    07-28-10 08:05 AM
    How about commuter is it good too?
    jumpoff609 likes this.
    07-28-10 08:40 AM
    I have my 8530 in a Defender. It has survived many drops and kicks across the pavement. It took the ultimate test the other night. I placed it on my night stand and went off to bed. When I woke up it was no where to be found. Killer, my 7 month old German Shepherd pup grabbed it while I was sleeping and thought it was a chew toy. The case took alot of abuse, teeth marks all over it and covered in slobber. I opened it up and the phone was in pristine condition.

OP I know how ya feel. There is no other case I would have.
    07-30-10 12:35 PM
    My Commuter is an excellent case. It's pocketable, for those that go that way. The plastic back and sides give it enough slip.

The rubber in the corners is exposed, providing some bounce protection and making the Mute/Lock buttons very easy to operate. It also give your hand some grip points to keep the device from slipping out of your hands.

The sides of the silicon jacket actually have external buttons shaped to exactly fit the hard buttons on the device, making operation through the case a cinch.

Port protection is smart. Each flap has a shaped nubbin that plugs into the port and holds the flap closed, also providing some modicum of internal support for the ports.

Comes with the easiest-to-apply-perfectly screen protector I've ever used.

Doesn't add much bulk at all, and fits in the OEM 9000 holster prefectly. Lots of folks can fit it into their OEM 9700 holster, but on mine, the flap would not close because the Commuter is just a shade too tall. Over time, it would probably bend in the right place.

Obviously the Commuter would not have helped much in this scenario. It provides excellent drop/bump/scratch protection, but against crushing weight? Not so much. That's what the Defender is designed for.
    steven2909 likes this.
    07-30-10 01:17 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD