I've had the Otterbox Commuter case on my Torch since I got it. So it's been over a month now. I noticed today that the top cover has been scratching my phone in the lip area right below the keyboard. Unhappy about that. But that's ok. I ordered the BB pouch for it. Anyway, just thought I'd post and share so anyone else that has been using the commuter case can check their phones.
    09-30-10 09:05 PM
    After getting tired of having the top cover pop off repeatedly I placed a tiny dab of silicone sealant at each corner. Cover stays on and is now wobble-free. I had thought the wobble was the slider, but now know it was the cover sliding. I still love the OB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 09:30 PM
    After getting tired of having the top cover pop off repeatedly I placed a tiny dab of silicone sealant at each corner. Cover stays on and is now wobble-free. I had thought the wobble was the slider, but now know it was the cover sliding. I still love the OB!
    It's sad you'd have to modify a $45 case to make it work...

10-01-10 02:55 AM
    I've had the Otterbox Commuter case on my Torch since I got it. So it's been over a month now. I noticed today that the top cover has been scratching my phone in the lip area right below the keyboard. Unhappy about that. But that's ok. I ordered the BB pouch for it. Anyway, just thought I'd post and share so anyone else that has been using the commuter case can check their phones.
    my whole theory is that why cover up something in order to preserve its beauty in two years your going to replace it anyway mitigate your expenses and justify an early upgrade rather then spend 30 bucks on a case
    10-01-10 03:04 AM
    I was gifted the OB by a colleague who no longer wanted it. It has the top-pop problem as well. It's a piece of poorly designed and overpriced cheap plastic junk with a rubber liner -- a rip-off. I haven't used it in a couple of weeks. Not sure when/if I ever will. Instead, I've been using a Storm 2 leather pocket I picked up for cheap until I get the Torch leather pocket.
    10-01-10 06:28 AM
    whether it's the Blackberry Torch or the Iphone 4.. or even the 9700 and the 9000
    they should be left alone... without a cover.
    the only add on i consider worth it is the privacy screen or anti glare screen.

especially with the iphone 4... putting bumpers on it is a slap on the designer..
    well i agree he/she/they should get some slapping for that antenna design that they come up with..
    10-01-10 06:34 AM
    whether it's the Blackberry Torch or the Iphone 4.. or even the 9700 and the 9000
    they should be left alone... without a cover.
    the only add on i consider worth it is the privacy screen or anti glare screen.

especially with the iphone 4... putting bumpers on it is a slap on the designer..
    well i agree he/she/they should get some slapping for that antenna design that they come up with..
    I don't give a damn about the designer of the phone, I care about my $200, 2 year contract investment. If the designer of the device was so worried about our phones staying in such good shape then they would have made them out of titanium and bullet proof glass. Then the device would cost $2000, not $200 lol

10-01-10 06:43 AM
    ^ that's too funny...
    the next iphone 4G or a Blackberry 9900 made out of Kevlar..
    10-01-10 06:47 AM
    I was so disappointed with the ottabox commuter... so cheap looking and the top wouldn't stay in place. As soon as I walkd out the att door, the next few minutes I walked back in and requested a full refund.
    10-01-10 07:52 AM
    ^ you really hated the otterbox that much?
    well good for you, you save a drive/commute back to the AT&T store..
    but i do see the NEED for such protective cases. especially if you're working with Dirt/ Oil or anything that can splash on the screen..
    and the advantage that when the phone drops.. the bezel is not the first to receive the impact
    10-01-10 08:16 AM
    hav this case. I dont hate it and I don't love it. I think it does the job for me. As far as scratching the phone I haven't seen anything yet. I'll take a look later and if it really is...I won't be using the case since I also use the 9000 oem holster.
    10-01-10 08:35 AM
    my whole theory is that why cover up something in order to preserve its beauty in two years your going to replace it anyway mitigate your expenses and justify an early upgrade rather then spend 30 bucks on a case
    I feel the same way. However, it's worth it to me to spend the $30 to protect the phone from physical damage, not cosmetic damage. I'm in the construction industry, so there are times the phone is exposed to jobsite conditions. My phone has already survived a 3.5 ft. drop onto a ceramic tile floor with the OB. That incident alone was enough to convince me.

As for it being sad to have to modify a new case: I'm not really caught up in spending less than a minute to improve it. I'm more concerned with getting the best protection I can than whether a product is perfect off the shelf. This product gives me exactly what I need. If it doesn't do the same for others, don't buy it. I'm sure there are others out there that have needs similar to mine. No question the phone loses some of its sexy appearance with a cover. I gladly accept that tradeoff for a degree of assurance the device will last. But to each their own.
    10-01-10 08:38 AM
    Yep, I noticed this too, and that's why I bought the Torch holster. That and hearing about the people that dropped their Torch while in the OB and getting the screen cracked made me decide on the holster. Now that I have it, I love it. I really missed the clip on the back so I could clip it to my pocket or purse.
    10-01-10 08:43 AM
    You otter buy something else! ;-)

10-01-10 08:54 AM
    its scratched my phone on the top, and then the tabs broke off, piece of ****.
    10-01-10 09:35 AM
    My iPhone 3g survived being run over by a airline baggage cart last winter because it was in the otter box case. I work outside, near the planes but not for an airline that carries passengers. The otter box holster for the iPhone doesn't really hold the phone in well and my jacket flipped the phone out of the holster. The phone was face down, in the snow then was ran over, no damage at all, and especially no water damage when I opened the case inside. It was missing for about 30 minutes.
    10-01-10 01:09 PM
    I had the same issue. Took off my top cover and I have some small scratches on the top bezel. Made me realize that I might as well go case-less. The phone feels and looks much better without a case anyway. The Otterbox went on Ebay that night.
    10-01-10 01:20 PM
    I've been going caseless for a few days now and it's kind of nice. Torch looks great without a case. Can't wait for my BB pocket pouch to get here though.
    10-04-10 04:38 PM
    My iPhone 3g survived being run over by a airline baggage cart last winter because it was in the otter box case. I work outside, near the planes but not for an airline that carries passengers. The otter box holster for the iPhone doesn't really hold the phone in well and my jacket flipped the phone out of the holster. The phone was face down, in the snow then was ran over, no damage at all, and especially no water damage when I opened the case inside. It was missing for about 30 minutes.
    That's the kind of story I expect to hear from people that use Otterbox cases, but from my own experience with the Torch commuter case the front plate pops off too much and compromises protection. It's good for small nicks and dings, but I'm very skeptical about a serious drop after my last Torch had its screen cracked during a fall in the case.

Nonetheless, I'll still buy my cases from Otterbox for one-piece Blackberrys.
    10-04-10 06:54 PM
    I'm waiting on my free otter box to come in but if its scratching the phone I might not use it

10-04-10 06:57 PM
    So far my Otter box is working perfectly. i am a VERY HEAVY user of the phone and literally on it all day long. I do not see any scratches and the top rarely pops off. So far so good for me at least.
    10-04-10 09:40 PM
    No problems with my Otterbox. Fits like a glove, and I love the Tank look...
    10-04-10 10:12 PM
    So far my Otter box is working perfectly. i am a VERY HEAVY user of the phone and literally on it all day long. I do not see any scratches and the top rarely pops off. So far so good for me at least.
    Have you ever dropped it? With day to day use it won't come off. I'm still using it for that reason, but in a short drop the top may pop off. I've only dropped it twice: once onto a plush carpet from two feet up and the second time from my hands onto concrete when the screen broke. Both times the cover popped off. It's worrisome at best, but I figure a phone with a glass touch screen will always be this fragile. I don't hate the case, but I am more cautious.
    10-05-10 03:55 AM
    ^ i think it's meant to pop off on impact so the bezel/phone doesn't absorb the shock..i maybe wrong but i guess that's part of the design
    10-05-10 06:15 AM
    I'll expand on my original post in this thread. I've dropped mine too many times. The last time was on asphalt - the front cover popped off. It did it's job by protecting against the initial impact, but in the subsequent bounces after the cover flew off the bezel was scratched in several places. This prompted me to make a change.

I simply placed 4 tiny dabs of silicone sealant (one at each corner) inside the back of the slider cover with a toothpick, then installed the cover on the slider. Let it sit for 30 minutes, and it was good to go. Took about 1 minute. I got the added benefit of eliminating side-to-side play caused by the OB cover not being completely tight against the slider. The slider and cover now feel solid, and the cover won't move, so it won't scratch the bezel. You can remove the cover any time by gently pulling it off (as long as you use small dabs of silicone). Tip - if you find the silicone squeezes out onto the screen you've used too much - don't try to remove it until it has dried. Then you can roll it off with your finger. You'll just smear it if you try to wipe it off when wet.

I'm just too hard on phones to not have it protected. I know many people don't like the OB for various reasons, but I haven't seen another cover that comes close to the shock protection the OB offers. Just my two cents.
    10-05-10 07:58 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD