I'm brand new to the BB world and never heard of otterbox until seeing a thread where someone mentioned it. They look like something from another planet, but very protective!! So, this may sound stupid, but do they provide enough protection to forego insurance (VZW + the $5.99)? I know I want to use a skin, and this looks like a heavy-duty version..... although maybe bulky?Any opinions from someone who has one/has tried one would be great. Thanks!
    07-08-09 04:08 PM
    I know Otterbox is very bulky. Have heard great things, though. What line of work are you in?
    07-08-09 04:18 PM
    I'd still have insurance even with it cause if you lose the phone and all it means nothing and you're out $480
    07-08-09 04:25 PM
    How much is insurance?
    07-08-09 04:26 PM
    The outerbox cases are designed for individuals working in the construction business i feel..However anyone could use the case who really wants superior protection.. They are a bit bulky and will take away the beauty of the tour...I don't think it could be substituted for Verizons insurance on the device because though it provides exceptional protection, if you loss your phone, your out of luck...The insurance is a must on an expensive device like this..
    07-08-09 04:30 PM
    I have had Otterbox's for my 8830 World and for the Curve's. It is an incrediblely well designed case. It is a bit bulky but when it comes to drops, talking in a rain storm, dust ... it is the ultimate. Would I refrain from getting insurance ??? I have never got insurance before but I have never got a bb that's worth so much like the Tour will be. I just might look into it.

The Otterbox is a nice case. It covers all types of protection but yes it does make it heavier and bulkier so the question you need to ask yourself is do I need or want to have this level of protection. I personally say yes but that's my choice
    07-08-09 05:16 PM
    I am very interested in the otterbox because i am a fireman. There looks like different levels of protection they offer....can anyone offer advice on which model?

In the meantime i am grabbing a skin i think....does anyone have another option for a good cover/protection?? I know I have heard the innocase but was dissapointed that the backlight on the keys doesnt shine through
    07-08-09 05:28 PM
    The otterbox is great choice for those of us in the construction trade but it does add considerable bulk and makes using my storm sometimes tricky thats why on the weekends I just use a skin but that being said it will not protect against lost or stolen phones so insurance is a must.
    07-08-09 05:29 PM
    i have the otter box on my storm and i love it , i am a lineman for the power company and havent had any issues at all it stays on my hip from 630 to 300 everyday im working.
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CASE
    07-08-09 05:31 PM
    For a Firefighter defiantly the Defender Series .
    07-08-09 05:37 PM
    I'm in the accounting industry, haha, so I'd just be getting it for personal drops and mishaps. Looks as though I'll just get insurance and a skin... doesn't seem worth it to me..
    07-08-09 05:46 PM
    Case......why do I need a case when I have Insurance?

I don't see a need for a case when you have insurance, unless your obsessive compulsive about scratches and such.
    07-08-09 06:08 PM

I don't see a need for a case when you have insurance, unless your obsessive compulsive about scratches and such.
    Insurance protects against LOSS, THEFT, DAMAGES, etc. If someone steals your beloved BB, a case isn't gonna protect you.

I think I pay $5.99 to VZW for insurance. I've had to use it once for a lost phone, and since the phone I had was no longer available, got a sweet deal on an upgrade. Not a bad deal for $60/year, IMHO.
    07-08-09 06:13 PM
    I work in Sales, and LOVE my otterbox, I did break the holster by running over it with my truck, but even carrying the otterbox in my pocket it is great,

I drop it, I toss it around in hotel rooms when I leave it in my pockets. BUT even with the protection from physical damage you are not protected from theft, or drowning, I don't have to worry in heavy rain about the water getting in, but if I drop in in a lake, I would want to have insurance. or if I leave it someplace or it gets stolen, I think 6 dollars a month, is a worth while investment as you'll probably upgrade the phone before you've spent 400 dollars which would be the lowest replacement cost that you'd pay if you lost the phone.
    07-08-09 06:20 PM
    I love my otterbox. I hope they will come out with one for the Tour quickly.
    07-08-09 07:07 PM
    I love my otterbox. I hope they will come out with one for the Tour quickly.
    I would not expect to see one for at least 3-4 month Hopefully I am wrong
    07-08-09 07:27 PM
    I work in the restaurant industry and I am quite hard on phones and my wireless company does not have insurance so I bought the defender for my Storm, and other than the water look on the screen that i fixed with a bit of baby powder i think it was the best $50 I have spent.
    08-24-09 12:11 AM
    It depends on you. I've never had insurance and never had a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 12:15 AM
    They have them for the Tour in the Crackberry store. I bought the impact series, because I didn't want the regular OB.

I think its a good alternative to the bulkier OB.

08-24-09 12:30 AM

If you find joy in paying the deductible when you otherwise wouldn't have had to, by all means, don't use a case.

08-24-09 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD