Is the protective membrane that covers the keys one solid piece that also covers the screen, or are they two separate clear covers? I agree that with the keys being 'connected' I am worried that the dexterity would go down with a membrane over it, but at the same time, believe a screen protector is a must! In other words, is it possible to have the screen protected but not the keys on the defender cases?
    With the Otterbox it is form fitted. The film actually has the imprint of the keys so it still gives you the feel of each key.

Did that make sense ?
    07-16-09 04:02 PM
    It does make sense, but is it possible to only have the screen protected and not the keys?
    07-17-09 08:45 AM
    Ok, the cases are going to be made, trust me. If I get the two that were promised to me, I'll test them and try to post a review of them for Kevin to approve then post for everyone in a blog maybe. I was informed that I may get ones prior to public release, but it's not definite.

The difference in the cases is simple. The Defender, obviously, offers a greater deal of protection against drops, bumps, or mishandling.

Whereas the Impact case acts more like a regular silicon skin. It offers more protections, mainly on the top, bottom and back from drops and bangs due to more material being there. You will also be able to put on a self-adhereing plastic film, much like the defender so that you'll have the water and scratch resistance on your screen. The Impact case should be a little bigger than a regular silicon skin but it's smaller than the Defender by 1/4" all around.

I can't disclose any more information. Your CS rep you talked to is completely wrong.
    Last edited by Grafixx01; 07-17-09 at 09:05 AM.
    07-17-09 09:00 AM
    I like the body glove for my 8330. Screen protected with THICK plastic, a little added bulk, but as much as I drop my phone, it's the ticket.
    Hoping Body Glove comes out with something similar for the Tour.
    07-17-09 09:00 AM
    It does make sense, but is it possible to only have the screen protected and not the keys?
    If you want the screen protection and not to cover the keys, you can. It'll just take you cutting the key protection from the screen protection. I'd do it VERY VERY carefully with a ruler and exacto knife.

First install the whole thing, with the keyboard protection, if you are going to have a Defender case, just take a fine-point Sharpie and make a line where the keys start, then take the case off and use your ruler and exacto knife to cut the key protection off. Replace the entire case and that's it.

On the Impact, you can't do this as there is no hard plastic bar to seperate the keys from the screen so you either use the plastic or not.
    07-17-09 09:04 AM
    I really, really like the case the Tour came with...I might just go with a screen protector and an Innocase as long as it still fits in the OEM holster.

I'm not too abusive with my phone but the occasional drop here or there is unavoidable...Otterboxes are nice but I think may be too bulky for me, and just sort of overkill since I handle my phones carefully.
    07-17-09 09:21 AM
    I really, really like the case the Tour came with...I might just go with a screen protector and an Innocase as long as it still fits in the OEM holster.

I'm not too abusive with my phone but the occasional drop here or there is unavoidable...Otterboxes are nice but I think may be too bulky for me, and just sort of overkill since I handle my phones carefully.

The holster is nice and all but this thing is slippery. I've dropped my Tour quite a few times already this week. I'm waiting for my gel skin and getting this Otterbox once it's available. I love wearing a holster for the convenience but it doesn't look right when I go out (my shirts are untucked usually).
    07-17-09 09:24 AM

Well, the Impact case may be for you then. Offers more protection than a regular case / skin but not as big and bulky as the Defender.
    07-17-09 09:35 AM
    At first I liked the Impact as I usually just put a silicone skin on my phones. But, the more I looked at the Defender, the more I liked it. I like the benefit of having a holster, but I also like having some protection when the phone is not in the holster. The Defender does both. It is very pricey, which is the biggest drawback.
    07-17-09 09:48 AM
    I may just buy the defender even though I have a skin on the way... It is being released on 7/24
    07-17-09 10:22 AM
    I had the Impact case for the Bold and did not like it. It wasn't a snug fit like the OEM skin. But the Tour is designed different so the Impact case might be good. Not a fan of it in general since it makes the phones look bulky.
    07-17-09 10:31 AM
    I have the Impact skin on a curve 8350i. It added 4mm to width, 1 to length and 2 to thickness and it's now really, really tight in the holster, too tight actually and the magnetic flap closure won't work so I'm looking for a different holster that will still give me standby and allow the skin.

Just and FYI so you get an idea of dimensions....but I do like the feel and cushioning skin versus a regular silicone skin
    07-26-09 01:23 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD