i am considering buying an Otterbox defender for my 9630 for use when geocaching only.

How easy or difficult is it to install and remove this case? Would it cause wear to the case?
    07-25-10 06:59 AM
    I used one on my Tour for about three weeks. I did not use the keyboard cover because I wasn't worried about dust as much as I was it getting knocked around at work. The case added a lot of bulk to the phone so I took it off a few times trying to decide if I wanted to keep using it. Installation was easy, removal, a little more difficult. I had to use quite a bit of pressure to get the tabs to unsnap when removing and to me it felt like I was going to break something everytime, but never did. Maybe I wasn't doing something right But I spent some time watching Youtube videos on the installation and removal. As far as wear on the case,the last time I had it on it seemed to have a little creak when when I pressed on the edges of the case that I had not noticed originally. The Defender is unmatched as far as protection, I was holding my Tour and tripped and fell with all my weight landing on my phone and not a scratch, but the added bulk was the deal breaker for me.
    07-25-10 08:29 AM
    Thanks for those details! i'll probably be taking the case on/off every three days or so. i just got rid of my rubber case because i like the thin and light feeling. Also, i put my Tour in a windshield holder when i'm using GPS.

Otterbox seems to be the toughest case available. i'll probably try it since it seems it's not a major chore to install and replace. When i'm in the brush with my BlackBerry i am worried i'll drop it, sweat on it, get it dirty. Thanks again!
    07-25-10 08:44 AM
    I take mine off 2-3 times a week. And no issues.
    07-25-10 09:39 AM
    Is it possible to swap the battery out without removing the Otterbox? I swap batteries just about every day, sometimes more than once a day.
    07-25-10 09:55 AM
    Thanks for the info, Yester! Jeff, that's a good question! Since caching drains the battery i may have to get an extra and switch out. i assume you have to take the case off...but maybe there's a trap door?
    07-29-10 06:36 PM
    Jeff:

You need to remove the case which depending on your use is either 3 or 4 parts. The keyboard membrane is like a diaper with 3 flaps. Left and right and bottom flaps that wrap around and using vinyl adhesion stick together over the battery door. Nex the inner plastic shell is two pieces that snap together using tabs (as noted above, you need to pry a bit to separate them at the bottom but that is easy - slightly flex them off the opposing half). Then the rubber rand goes over that and had slots that interlock with plastic "posts" on the plastic shell, as well as the door flaps for the usb and headphone jack.

I was one of those who considered taking it on/off a task and did so very rarely. But I did take it in and out.

Now with that - when I removed my Tour after 9 months - it looked flawless. Since it really is pretty well sealed, no grit works into it to rub against the phone and the phone does not move within it so again, the grit does not get massaged into the phone like some silicone cases manage to do. I am now using their Commuter with the Bold-9650 and I think that grit will work on the phone a bit more. I also used a hair dryer to soften the holster from the Defender and remolded to use with the Commuter.
    Last edited by F2; 07-29-10 at 07:45 PM.
    07-29-10 07:41 PM
    I would like to try that for the commuter! good idea!
    07-29-10 07:53 PM
    I have to say, I just got the Defender and this case is the most solid case I have ever used with ANY phone. I considered it very easy to put the case on and take off; like F2, it's not something I intend on doing often, though.

Completely worth the money -- I found a good deal on it through Amazon.
    08-05-10 05:08 PM
    ... I considered it very easy to put the case on and take off; like F2, it's not something I intend on doing often, though. ... .
    So if you swapped out the battery every day, you wouldn't necessarily recommend the Otter box? Or you'd use the box, but recharge rather than replace the battery?
    08-05-10 05:19 PM
    I don't have a video camera so can't shot the process of on/off for the Defender. I guess I would describe it as quite fiddly. I seem to recall a youtube video that might have shown it. I do recall one guy had a video of tossing it down a staircase!

Here's a link showing the parts but not putting in or taking out

aha:

That links make it seem easier than I found it (g)
    08-05-10 06:18 PM
    Wow, thanks for those videos F2! Helpful. Well, my man Forums Moderator Yester18 gave me his Otterbox (sounds dirty) so i have it on right now! i planned on using it only when caching...but it's an awesome case! i'm leaving it on. It does add some weight and bulk but it's so worth it, and still fits in my pocket. i love having the protection, great case. And thanks again Yester!

Jeff, if you change batteries often i wouldn't recommend the Otterbox Defender. It's not that hard to remove and install, it just takes time. If you change your battery day that could get annoying. Why don't you just keep your BlackBerry charged?! Or get a solar charger!

Removing and installing Otterbox Defender case: D3
    08-05-10 07:04 PM
    Did Yester give you the holster, too? Or did he keep that to alter for the Commuter?

Again, I removed the clip when using the Defender so that the screen was protected in my backpack/bike bag.
    08-05-10 08:11 PM
    Yes, i have thr holster. i don't use that now but i may if my BlackBerry is in my pack. The fitted plastic with the screen protector seems to work well
    08-05-10 08:18 PM
    ....Removing and installing Otterbox Defender case: D3
    D3 clinches it. I'll just have to settle for a sniveling weasel instead of an otter box...
    08-05-10 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD