I ordered the Otterbox Defender case for my 9700 the day it was released. After using it a few days my device has been ejected from the clip at least 4 times just lightly bumping into things around the house and while travelling about. My brother has an Otterbox defender and is a police officer. He has a different blackberry ( I think the curve) and his unit actually slides into the case instead of just two clips on the side. People are going to lose their phones with these cases for sure. I would never trust it riding a bike or motorcycle or going into crowded areas where it can be bumped. I know these cases have ruled the bb world, but I am not impressed with this model. Anyone else try theirs yet? I think I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for a refund.

Video of the issue here. Of course my kid had to flush the toilet during the video :-)

Last edited by ov10mech; 01-04-10 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added video
    01-03-10 08:09 PM
    you may have just influenced my decision on purchasing this case
    01-03-10 08:11 PM
    you may have just influenced my decision on purchasing this case
    mine too. i was still undecided because of the price.
    01-03-10 08:30 PM
    I mean how hard are you bumping into things? I received it 2 days ago and I actually think it is TOO HARD to remove it from the case.
    01-03-10 08:34 PM
    A friend of mine has this case and was telling me the exact same thing.
    01-03-10 08:36 PM
    I think the issue is that this holster has a very low holster lip at the bottom compared to the other defender cases I have seen.

As for how much force.. I can swipe my index finder across the top and knock it free. While it is difficult to pull it upright it is not difficult to get it loose pushing outwards from the top . I can post a video demonstrating this. I am bummed about this because I waited weeks and not sure anyone else has an alternative. The case is very nice, but I do not feel my unit it safe with it. I ride a Harley and always doing construction projects around the house. I also like to turn the case sideways so the phone doesn't stab your side when you are sitting. Thats when the phone is most vulnerable IMO.
    01-03-10 08:46 PM
    I ordered the Otterbox Defender case for my 9700 the day it was released. After using it a few days my device has been ejected from the clip at least 4 times just lightly bumping into things around the house and while travelling about. My brother has an Otterbox defender and is a police officer. He has a different blackberry ( I think the curve) and his unit actually slides into the case instead of just two clips on the side. People are going to lose their phones with these cases for sure. I would never trust it riding a bike or motorcycle or going into crowded areas where it can be bumped. I know these cases have rules the bb world, but I am not impressed with this model. Anyone else try theirs yet? I think I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for a refund.
    Thank you for this post I was looking at the Otterbox too and I think I will PASS! lol
    01-03-10 10:02 PM
    Wow. This will make my decision easier. I will stay with the Otterbox Commuter case and the 9000 holster. Thank you for this update. Sorry you had to fork out the money. Maybe Otterbox will take some notes and change the holster and offer a replacement!!
    01-03-10 10:05 PM
    Zack, can you tell me more about that pair you are running?

Wow. This will make my decision easier. I will stay with the Otterbox Commuter case and the 9000 holster. Thank you for this update. Sorry you had to fork out the money. Maybe Otterbox will take some notes and change the holster and offer a replacement!!
    01-04-10 08:38 AM
    Wow.... and to think I almost ordered one.

I loved the holster on my 8130 Defende.... it was a secure slide in.

I am glad i read this.
    01-04-10 08:45 AM
    i am recieving my seidio innocase 2 in a couple days, lets hope i dont have similar problems :/ anybody have experience with the innocase 2 for the 9700?
    01-04-10 09:32 AM
    I can't even get mine into the holster... The case itself is great... but the holster sucks IMO.
    01-04-10 09:51 AM
    omg, u change my view on ordering it. lols. thanks for letting us know! =)
    01-04-10 10:25 AM
    You have to put it in at an angle (bottom first) vs sliding down from the top where it will meet friction . The end user also has to be careful that it seats all the way in with the clips. In any event, I want a holster where I can slam it in and out quickly and not have to worry about being precise about it.

I can't even get mine into the holster... The case itself is great... but the holster sucks IMO.
    01-04-10 12:33 PM
    Yeah, I was still on the fence about getting one....until now.
    01-04-10 12:38 PM
    I added video to original post and here.

01-04-10 01:35 PM
    Hey wondering if anyone could shed some light on the keypad and screen cover, what's it like does it effect typing etc...

With regards of the holster; doesn't bother me in the slightest, am from england and I don't think I have ever seen a phone on someones belt over here! If my berry needs the defender when I'm working I always have combats with pretty deep pockets or a jacket... That or its in a bag!!

Happy New Year!
    01-04-10 01:39 PM
    i am recieving my seidio innocase 2 in a couple days, lets hope i dont have similar problems :/ anybody have experience with the innocase 2 for the 9700?
    I had the 360 case for my 8900 last year and it was great UNTIL the rubber around my trackball started peeling away, sure they sent me a new one for free and said it was defected BUT the second one did the same thing too. I dropped my phone and one piece went this way --------> and the other one went that way <----------- I won't get anymore from them im GOOD! lol
    01-04-10 02:02 PM
    FYI I just called to complain about my holster. 888-695-8820 is otterboxes number. I told them to reveiw all the current reviews online with everyone complaining about the crap holster. They said if they get enough complaints (because mine was the first???) that they would re engineer the holster and recall the old ones as they did for the Iphone which had the same type of crappy holster. So my suggestion is for everyone to email. call, write etc complain about this thing so they make new ones. I cant belive they actually made the same type of holster for the this phone as the Iphone which they recalled. I guess they didnt learn their lesson the first time.

How to fix loose holster as this was Recommended by their tec support people I spoke with. (tempoary fix until a new holster is released) As I said the customer support guy said the more bad reviews/news they hear on the holster the faster they will get a new one.
    Simply heat the 2 tabs on holster with heat gun, mini torch, hair dryer, Squeze in tabs slightly and quench in cold water. That will give a more firm grip on phone.
    The Actual case is great by the way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-10 02:04 PM
    Hey wondering if anyone could shed some light on the keypad and screen cover, what's it like does it effect typing etc...

With regards of the holster; doesn't bother me in the slightest, am from england and I don't think I have ever seen a phone on someones belt over here! If my berry needs the defender when I'm working I always have combats with pretty deep pockets or a jacket... That or its in a bag!!

Happy New Year!
    it takes some getting used to, and it DOES get in the way a bit.

I am liking the defender case. I don't have faith in the holster though, I haven't had any problems yet but I don't like wearing it on my belt anyway, I prefer the inside of a pocket, even with the oem one.

If you have a manly job like I do, wear you move heavy dirty things, or cut down trees, or fish for crabs in harsh arcitc oceans, then the defender is a good case.
    If you wear a tie to work and have an "inside" job so you can use your "inside" voice to keep up with the latest reports and things,
    well, then you really don't need a case.
    01-04-10 02:12 PM
    I emailed them at 10 central so you were not the first and I doubt I was the first. I emailed after waiting in the queue and getting dropped.
    Their e-mail is [email protected]

FYI I just called to complain about my holster. 888-695-8820 is otterboxes number. I told them to reveiw all the current reviews online with everyone complaining about the crap holster. They said if they get enough complaints (because mine was the first???) that they would re engineer the holster and recall the old ones as they did for the Iphone which had the same type of crappy holster. So my suggestion is for everyone to email. call, write etc complain about this thing so they make new ones. I cant belive they actually made the same type of holster for the this phone as the Iphone which they recalled. I guess they didnt learn their lesson the first time.

How to fix loose holster as this was Recommended by their tec support people I spoke with. (tempoary fix until a new holster is released) As I said the customer support guy said the more bad reviews/news they hear on the holster the faster they will get a new one.
    Simply heat the 2 tabs on holster with heat gun, mini torch, hair dryer, Squeze in tabs slightly and quench in cold water. That will give a more firm grip on phone.
    The Actual case is great by the way.

01-04-10 02:15 PM
    "manly job" Haha!
    very true must have owned 5 curves previous to the Bold, would have been more without a good case! Its a definite purchase for me regardless of what needs tweaking unfortunately, cheaper than buyin a new phone every time! Is insured but a pain to keep switching handsets I guess!
    01-04-10 03:20 PM
    how is the added bulk to the phone? is it skinny enough to stick in a pocket or do you need to use the holster.
    01-04-10 04:36 PM
    it takes some getting used to, and it DOES get in the way a bit.

I am liking the defender case. I don't have faith in the holster though, I haven't had any problems yet but I don't like wearing it on my belt anyway, I prefer the inside of a pocket, even with the oem one.

If you have a manly job like I do, wear you move heavy dirty things, or cut down trees, or fish for crabs in harsh arcitc oceans, then the defender is a good case.
    If you wear a tie to work and have an "inside" job so you can use your "inside" voice to keep up with the latest reports and things,
    well, then you really don't need a case.
    Sorry for the hijack, but are you Mike Rowe?!

Last edited by brindaarnold; 01-04-10 at 09:31 PM.
    01-04-10 09:28 PM
    Sorry for the hijack, but are you Mike Rowe?!

Lol I wish that guy gets some serious ... Nevermind,
    I just noticed a bit of a pattern after the cutting down trees thing.

And yes this makes the phone pretty bulky, which is good when your hands are busy and it's easy to grab and handle but it's a bit of a pain for casual use. The case is cool on the job. It's annoying on weekends.

01-04-10 09:56 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD