My defender if worn out. Every component pretty much needs to be replaced. Considering it's only been 4 months, I think that illustrates why I need a heavy duty case.
    I like the defender, but I hate the way it sucks dust behind the screen cover from the charging side.

I need something comparable though, that covers every crack, protects the screen andd keyboard, can hold up in weather, and has a good chance of surviving a 10 foot drop. (seriously)

Are there superior cases, or should I just replace this defender?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 01:03 PM
    Is your blackberry for work?
    Anyhow, email otterbox. Maybe you can get a free replacement Defender by being a spokes person for them.
    03-22-10 04:57 PM
    My blackberry is a distraction/escape from work.

No, my employer won't pay for a case. And it would be kinda cool to get free otterboxes by saying "I ruin these cases faster than anybody!" but I don't think that's likely to happen. (because essentially I'm really just saying "the most 'hardcore' case out there doesn't last me four months!")

03-22-10 05:24 PM
    My defender if worn out. Every component pretty much needs to be replaced. Considering it's only been 4 months, I think that illustrates why I need a heavy duty case.
    I like the defender, but I hate the way it sucks dust behind the screen cover from the charging side.

I need something comparable though, that covers every crack, protects the screen andd keyboard, can hold up in weather, and has a good chance of surviving a 10 foot drop. (seriously)

wow 4 months, u can checkout this case https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=h59SFnNu works well and it comes with a screen protector i use this case and the seidio innocase II
    03-22-10 05:38 PM
    wow 4 months, u can checkout this case https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=h59SFnNu works well and it comes with a screen protector i use this case and the seidio innocase II
    How hard is it to depress the convenience , Lock , Mute and volume keys on that case?

How about on the defender?

The reason I ask is I have an Epik resin case and those buttons and the Lock/Mute ones are tough.
    03-22-10 06:07 PM
    Cool. Does it cover the keys?

03-22-10 06:08 PM
    us real men don't have problems pressing buttons in a case.
    Our problem is breaking our cases.
    Heh heh
    03-22-10 06:10 PM
    How hard is it to depress the convenience , Lock , Mute and volume keys on that case?

How about on the defender?

The reason I ask is I have an Epik resin case and those buttons and the Lock/Mute ones are tough.
    for the case-mate hybrid all the buttons are covered by the first layer of the case (black) then on the 2nd layer (gray) has all the cut outs for the buttons.. it's not hard to depress the button, for me it's as easy as a 9700 without a case.. hope that helps
    i can't speak about the defender case, i've only seen them on my co-workers berries
    03-22-10 06:11 PM
    us real men don't have problems pressing buttons in a case.
    Our problem is breaking our cases.
    Heh heh
    hahahahaha that's a good one, so true
    03-22-10 06:12 PM

Worn out like how? Photos please
    03-22-10 06:15 PM
    for the case-mate hybrid all the buttons are covered by the first layer of the case (black) then on the 2nd layer (gray) has all the cut outs for the buttons.. it's not hard to depress the button, for me it's as easy as a 9700 without a case.. hope that helps
    i can't speak about the defender case, i've only seen them on my co-workers berries
    Thanks mate!

Just out of curiosity, how does your hybrid compare to your coworker's defender?

Looks? Feel?(If you've gotten a touch)
    03-22-10 06:17 PM
    Cool. Does it cover the keys?

yes it does
    03-22-10 06:22 PM
    Look at the Incipio Silicrylic also
    03-22-10 06:24 PM
    Thanks mate!

Just out of curiosity, how does your hybrid compare to your coworker's defender?

Looks? Feel?(If you've gotten a touch)
    both cases feel good in my hand, but the defender is more bulky.. update the keys on the defender case are not hard to depress for me, this defender case is about 2-3weeks old.. i've had the case-mate hybrid since it came out
    03-22-10 06:24 PM
    Thank you much .....if the defender is bulkier do you think it offers more protection?

03-22-10 06:32 PM
    Worn out like how? Photos please
    The silicone is stretched and loose, it hangs out on the sides of the keyboard, and the strip between the screen and the ports to the left flops out easily. Also the back is noticeably loose, like there's a bubble under it. I know you can replace the silicone cover for like $15, but the plastis shells are loose as well, there is now a little bit of "rattle" and you can squeeze parts and feel where it has expanded. So its very easy for dust to get under the screen cover on the keyboard side and the charging port side.
    I'd post photos, but the wear is more noticeable with function than appearance.

I will look at the other cases, but I like the defender a lot. It's very bulky, but in my case that's good. It's harder to slip out of my hand or pocket, and if it does, I feel better about it hitting the ground.

03-22-10 06:45 PM
    How is button pressing on the defender?

03-22-10 07:17 PM
    How is button pressing on the defender?
    The top and the sides all press very easily. The silicone cover has little 'posts' that go through the shell. It's a very good design. Typing takes a bit of getting used to, because the case comes up like an eight of an inch around the keyboard, so pressing the buttons around the edges is a bit annoying at first, but there IS room, and it isn't a problem once you're used to it.
    Actually, after typing with the Defender case for several months, typing without it makes me feel a bit anxious, like the phone could fall out of my hands. The silicone cover is like a giant skin, and very easy to keep a grip on.

03-22-10 07:53 PM
    Thank you much .....if the defender is bulkier do you think it offers more protection?

it really depends on how much protection u want or need... both cases are good so, i guess u need to decide on how bulky you want it...
    03-22-10 08:28 PM
    it really depends on how much protection u want or need... both cases are good so, i guess u need to decide on how bulky you want it...
    Thanks for your time I have to pick between them blimd online

03-22-10 08:47 PM
    Innocase 360 is the only other one I know of that covers everything including the keyboard and screen. I liked the defender but it was a bit bulky for my liking, so I downgraded to the commuter series on my Tour. I don't like the 9700 commuter case though because of how they cut out the covers for the headphone jack and micro usb port. They are both square and side by side... and they never fit right. I just ordered a CaseMate Hybrid because those port covers look better made. I got the pink/gray combo!
    03-22-10 09:13 PM
    I just emailed Otterbox CS stating my situation as well as stating that I am *considering* getting another Otterbox Defender, and asked if I could ship the old case back to them for a discount on a new one. We'll see how they respond in the morning, heh..

03-22-10 09:32 PM
    I just emailed Otterbox CS stating my situation as well as stating that I am *considering* getting another Otterbox Defender, and asked if I could ship the old case back to them for a discount on a new one. We'll see how they respond in the morning, heh..

Yeah, That's the way. By sending the old otterbox back, it proves that you are a genuine user and not someone trying to con otterbox to get a free case to sell.

Good luck with your discount/free otterbox
    03-24-10 02:32 PM
    Innocase 360 is the only other one I know of that covers everything including the keyboard and screen. I liked the defender but it was a bit bulky for my liking, so I downgraded to the commuter series on my Tour. I don't like the 9700 commuter case though because of how they cut out the covers for the headphone jack and micro usb port. They are both square and side by side... and they never fit right. I just ordered a CaseMate Hybrid because those port covers look better made. I got the pink/gray combo!
    +1 for the case-mate hybrid i have to black and grey one.. and the port covers are great..
    03-25-10 12:33 PM
    I have to say that they replaced mine because "I" damaged the screen protector and it makes the real screen underneath look distorted. My actual phone screen wasn't damaged at all.

No problems, they just replaced it. I bet if you take a pic or two and tell them your situation, they would do the same for you.

OtterBox has EXCELLENT customer service and the stand behind their products. I am more than happy
    03-25-10 05:23 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD