Ok my 9700 is on the way via FedEx and I of course want to have my case ready when it gets here. Just did some forum browsing for case ideas and it seems like Otterbox is the way to go for the best protection.

With that being said I've yet to see a comparison of the Commuter series vs. the Impact series.

Can anyone divulge some details for me on why Commuter vs. Impact or vice versa?

Appreciate it!

-Michael
    04-26-10 10:42 AM
    I too did allot of research and checking, if you need your 9700 protected well and able to fit into belt clip cases etc as well, go with commuter. I ordered that puppy and been happy as **** ever since. Great all around protection!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 11:44 AM
    I use the Commuter case for my 9700 and I am very happy with it. I can't tell you how effective it is, as I have yet to drop my phone, but...

I think the main difference is that the Commuter case has two parts to it, while the Impact only has one.

The Impact provides the first layer of defense that the Commuter case does - namely the silicone component. Personally, while the silicone component is nice, I wouldn't want that being the sole means of protection for my 9700 - especially if I'm going to have it for the next 2 years or so.

The second layer of defense which the Commuter case provides is a thin, hard plastic that covers the silicone component. This is the part that is meant to handle any serious dropping of the phone, which the silicone serving as the cushion.

You can get the Commuter case for $21 at Amazon: Amazon.com: OtterBox Commuter Case for BlackBerry Bold 9700: Cell Phones & Service

Personally, for the additional $10, I would get the Commuter case and have the added layer of protection and peace of mind.

The other great thing about the Commuter case is that it isn't bulky. It hardly adds any size / weight to the 9700. I purchased a holster for the Bold 9000 and the 9700 with the Commuter case on fits perfectly.

Just my two cents.
    04-26-10 11:56 AM
    I use the Impact case. I really like it. The reason why I chose it over the Commuter is because I frequently take out my phone to put it into the cradle. I also always have my phone in my bag so I am not likely to drop it anyway.

I think both cases are awesome and it's really just up to you and what your needs are.
    04-26-10 12:27 PM
    I too did allot of research and checking, if you need your 9700 protected well and able to fit into belt clip cases etc as well, go with commuter. I ordered that puppy and been happy as **** ever since. Great all around protection!

I agree. I have my commuter case and I slide it into my belt clip that came with my 9700.

Works like a charm.

I've dropped it twice and did not freak out and there were not issues. The reason I dropped it, it doesn't slide "super" easy into the BB belt clip case. You have to be cognizant of what your doing otherwise, it will make its way to the floor. So you don't have the option of pulling and sliding it back like you do without a case. (If that makes any sense?)

Oh and Amazon is the cheapest place to get this.

Enjoy!
    04-26-10 12:30 PM
    I use the Impact case. I really like it. The reason why I chose it over the Commuter is because I frequently take out my phone to put it into the cradle. I also always have my phone in my bag so I am not likely to drop it anyway.

I think both cases are awesome and it's really just up to you and what your needs are.
    I also use the charging cradle. I just take off the commuter case at night and pop it in to the cradle. Not a big deal. if you should need to charge it during the day, the Commuter case leaves all the ports accessible, so you can plug in a USB or car charger to give it some juice. In any case, the 9700 battery is amazing and lasts well longer than a single day, so that shouldn't really be a concern.
    04-26-10 12:44 PM
    I agree. I have my commuter case and I slide it into my belt clip that came with my 9700.

Works like a charm.

I've dropped it twice and did not freak out and there were not issues. The reason I dropped it, it doesn't slide "super" easy into the BB belt clip case. You have to be cognizant of what your doing otherwise, it will make its way to the floor. So you don't have the option of pulling and sliding it back like you do without a case. (If that makes any sense?)

Oh and Amazon is the cheapest place to get this.

Enjoy!
    The Commuter case for the 9700 in a 9700 holster is a bit tight, as you mentioned. That's why I recommend using a holster for the Bold 9000 and you'll be all set.
    04-26-10 12:45 PM
    you can't go wrong with either cases, their both great cases. I personally went with the commuter because I preferred that look over the impact. I'm very happy with my otter.

04-26-10 01:24 PM
    I use the Commuter case that I won here on crackberry a few weeks ago. I Love this case. Is protects the 9700, doesn't add and bulkyness to it, make it look and feel like a new phone, and fits perfectly in the OEM Bold holster!
    04-26-10 01:48 PM
    Agreed. There are cheaper options out there, but i think you're getting what you pay for.
    04-26-10 01:48 PM
    Commuter all the way. Protects while being sleek

04-26-10 02:23 PM
    And, if you already have a Bold 9700, you may as well invest a bit in being sleek while protecting your BB investment.
    04-26-10 02:25 PM
    Wow wasn't expecting this type of response this fast!!! Thanks CBers!

Going for the Commuter... the more protection the better.
    04-26-10 02:36 PM
    Of course, if you want maximum protection, there's always the Defender case from Otterbox...

But, it's big and bulky.
    04-26-10 02:41 PM
    Of course, if you want maximum protection, there's always the Defender case from Otterbox...

But, it's big and bulky.
    Yeah I crossed that one off my list. Seems like you need to be in a construction zone to rock that thing .

I guess my last question(s) before I click the BUY button on Amazon is does the Commuter slide in and out of pockets well? I know I've had problems with cases in the past basically getting stuck in the pockets of my pants. Also what about lint... I had a skin once for my old berry and it attracted anything and everything it touched (so annoying). Thanks ahead of time!
    04-26-10 02:48 PM
    I have the Commuter case and have had no issues getting it into and out of my pockets. It does pick up a bit of lint but not as much as the OEM silicone skins.

I also purchased the OEM 9000 holster off Amazon since the fit in the 9700 holster was a bit too tight (the magnetic clip will not latch).

Finally, the Commuter case is easy enough to remove to put the phone into the charging cradle as well, literally 10 seconds on/off.
    04-26-10 03:22 PM
    Commuter Case 100%... I have this myself and it is just the best case out there in my opinion. I have tried many case and this one does not add extra bulk to your 9700 and it is easy to remove and clean or do whenever you need to do!
    04-26-10 04:06 PM
    Go with the defender. Keyboard membrane = no dust under keys = keys always work great. Not important if you never pocket carry your phone.
    04-26-10 05:54 PM
    Go with the defender. Keyboard membrane = no dust under keys = keys always work great. Not important if you never pocket carry your phone.
    Negative, don't do that. I went from the Defender to this Impact and so happy I did. That Defender does definitely protect it better but I had to take it apart so many times to get stuck dust etc that got trapped under the built in screen protector. Plus it's just so bulky and hard to take a part when needed. This Impact comes with a nice clear high quality normal screen protector and still has plenty of protection for peeps like me who have never dropped a phone etc. Plus it easily comes off if needed and it was only $10 on Amazon.
    04-26-10 06:19 PM
    I have the Commuter case and have had no issues getting it into and out of my pockets. It does pick up a bit of lint but not as much as the OEM silicone skins.

I also purchased the OEM 9000 holster off Amazon since the fit in the 9700 holster was a bit too tight (the magnetic clip will not latch).

Finally, the Commuter case is easy enough to remove to put the phone into the charging cradle as well, literally 10 seconds on/off.
    Agreed. I'm not a fan of pocket carrying, but you'll have no problem doing that with hte Commuter case, if you decide to go that route.

I also haven't found the dust / lint issue to be a big deal. But, if the silicone pick up a little dust / lint, take a wet cloth and clean it off, and it iwll be like new.
    04-26-10 11:21 PM
    I have the defender series and I love it no problems or complaints here! People say its bulky but if protection is what your looking for the defender series is great!

04-26-10 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD