I've given up on my Seidio Innocase Surface II. I originally got it for the Tour, then put it on the 9650 when I got that as a replacement from Verizon. The fit was fine on the 9650 (didn't even have to remove the case to use the charging port even though it was slightly off), but the problem is that I'm getting scratches along the top front of the 9650. The case seems to be allowing enough dust/particles in from the top openings that end up scratching the phone over time.

Soooo...I'm now looking at getting the Otterbox Commuter case since most people seem to be very happy with it. But I also want to continue using the Seidio charging cradle, which has an adapter that lets me use it just fine when the 9650 is "caseless".

This leads me to my question (finally) for Otterbox Commuter (for the 9650) owners: How easy is it to remove the Otterbox Commuter case from the 9650? I pretty much use the charging cradle every night, so I don't want to have to be struggling with removing the case every time I want to charge the phone.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    08-12-10 04:11 PM
    VERY EASY. Just pop off the shell and remove the silicone skin. You will have no problem with it.
    08-12-10 05:50 PM
    I have a commutercase for the 9700. I assume it's similar. Yes the case is easy to remove.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 05:58 PM
    Depends on what you call easy.

You pull off the plastic shell, sometimes wrestling with the shell hanging up on the buttons or the (invariably) partially open port covers. Once that is off, you open the port covers and pull the rubber case off.

Difficult? Not really, but a bit fiddly at times. I certainly wouldn't want to pull it off every day. The huge advantage of the charging cradle is that you just drop the phone in. It is much easier to plug the charger into the port every night than to pull off the case.

I have my 9630 in a commuter case that gets plugged into the charger and my 9650 (that resides in my car throughout the day and is caseless) goes on the BB cradle at night.
    08-12-10 06:23 PM
    you def. don't want to take it off everynight to charge. that would annoy me big time, though i wouldn't call it hard to take off.
    08-12-10 06:32 PM
    I tried removing my friend's Tour's Commuter case. It wasn't difficult, just complicated. But I talked myself out of the Commuter because I use my cradle every night too and it'd be too much work. I just use a silicone skin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 07:16 PM
    Yea its not difficult but i wouldn't wanna take it off every nights. Until they invent a pod i can use with my commuter, i won't be getting one.
    08-12-10 07:20 PM
    I'd think that you could alter the charging pod with a bit of solder and something to extend its electric connections and neatly dremel ports for contact!?????

I, too, would call it fiddly and not something to do everyday. You also have to be slightly aware that if you don't get the case on carefully around the camera button which two-stage and sometimes gets partially pressed and locks things up.
    08-12-10 07:33 PM
    Thank you to everyone who responded. The overall sense I'm getting is that it's not difficult to remove the Commuter case, but it's enough of a chore that it could get irritating to have to do it everyday.

I really love using the charging cradle, because it turns my 9650 into a bedside clock that I don't have to lift my head up to check the time on. My backup plan was to get the Epik case, since that seems pretty easy to remove on a daily basis, so it looks like I'll go that route.

Thanks again for all your input.
    08-12-10 07:40 PM
    I'd think that you could alter the charging pod with a bit of solder and something to extend its electric connections and neatly dremel ports for contact!?????

I, too, would call it fiddly and not something to do everyday. You also have to be slightly aware that if you don't get the case on carefully around the camera button which two-stage and sometimes gets partially pressed and locks things up.
    I think that dremel'ing out the case, cutting the rubber inner case, the figuring out some sort of way to jerry rig the cradle won't work very well.

While the Otterbox isn't waterproof, the fact that the ports on the side are covered and everything but the keyboard and screen are covered, does give the phone lots of protection from errant splashes. That goes out the window once you cut up the back.
    08-12-10 07:45 PM
    Thank you to everyone who responded. The overall sense I'm getting is that it's not difficult to remove the Commuter case, but it's enough of a chore that it could get irritating to have to do it everyday.

I really love using the charging cradle, because it turns my 9650 into a bedside clock that I don't have to lift my head up to check the time on. My backup plan was to get the Epik case, since that seems pretty easy to remove on a daily basis, so it looks like I'll go that route.

Thanks again for all your input.
    Those Epik cases are awfully slick. I wish I had the money to buy more cases right now, but alas.

I love the cradle for the same reasons. The cradle is just so convenient, plus it prevents wear and tear on the USB port, which is always a plus.
    08-13-10 12:11 AM
    so i have a question....with the commuter case you have to take it off to charge it with the stock charger or just for the cradle? i was thinking about getting one but if i have to do that i might not get it. i am not sure if i am reading what everyone is saying wrong or not.
    08-13-10 07:36 AM
    There is a flap on the case that covers the charging port. You just open the flap to plug in the charger.

I ditched my Inno II from my Tour. Mine too was scratching the front and I disliked that a lot.

One word of note.....and this was mentioned here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/fyi...r-case-502350/

and the most recent update from Yester18 who is working with Otter people on this:

Hey all go some solid info from my multiple contact points at Otterbox

Quote:
    1. Our goal is to make 100% quality products and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We are making improvements in 6-9 weeks time frame.

3. When the new case is available
    they can call customer service at that time, we can send them replacement silicone.

Bottom line as it stands right now if you call CS at Otterbox they will ship you the same type case with the same issues we are all seeing. Trust me I have tested 4 cases myself and they were all sent back to the engineers to get the ball rolling on this abut 2 weeks ago.

So if you can please wait to hear back from me over the next few weeks I will try and provide more info and a tighter time frame.

Otterbox is 100% committed to making this fix and get new cases out to customers. But they are still in development and testing with quality control.

Emails and phone calls to customer service will not help any way as this issue is already past them and communications have already been processed with Engineers and executive staff at Otterbox.

I will do my best to provide any more info as I receive it.

And do not forget Otterbox has stated that the current case you have, a replacement will be sent.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

All that being said, I would still get an Otter Commuter now....it works well enough. And once the "new" ones are out, you will be able to get it replaced by Otter.

There is a design flaw in the 9650 Commuter Case that causes the charger port flap to not stay fully closed, easily. It takes finaggling (sp?) to get it seated properly.
    08-13-10 09:12 AM
    kool sounds good might have to order mine now. any one heard of any deals on them?? or cheapest sites to get them from?
    08-13-10 09:30 AM
    I just ordered one on amazon for $21.99
    08-13-10 11:16 AM
    Is it easy to get the snap-on plastic peice off? if so, could you cut the rubber case to expose the charging contacts but leave the plastic case intact. You could then pop off the plastic peice when charging and replace it when you're done. I don't know if it would work with the RIM cradle but may work with the Seidio cradle since it is designed to work through their case. Anybody want to try this? I may once I get my Commuter case.
    08-15-10 07:03 AM
    I took a commuter and cut the slot in the back of it to match the charger and pulled the charging pins out a little and works perfectly with mine.
    08-16-10 10:40 AM
    Moving to BB Accessories
    08-16-10 10:47 AM
    Also $21.99 at Newegg with free shipping.
    08-16-10 11:38 AM
    I took a commuter and cut the slot in the back of it to match the charger and pulled the charging pins out a little and works perfectly with mine.
    Did you cut a slot in both the peices or just the rubber? The plastic is not too bad to take off but I don"t know if I want to do it every day or so. What charger are you using?
    08-16-10 12:40 PM
    I cut a slot in both. I use a seidio charger. I actualy had one of the inocases to compare where to make the cut. I used an exacto knife to cut the slot. Then I traced the opening in the rubber and cut the slot in it. Like I said I just pulled the contacts outwards a little and it works perfectly. I can provide pictures if you like.
    08-16-10 08:45 PM
    Even though I have a Seidio charger too, I am jus leaving my cord in the wall and using the USB port, rather than keeping the cradle on our counter, which clutters things more.
    08-17-10 08:47 AM
    I cut a slot in both. I use a seidio charger. I actualy had one of the inocases to compare where to make the cut. I used an exacto knife to cut the slot. Then I traced the opening in the rubber and cut the slot in it. Like I said I just pulled the contacts outwards a little and it works perfectly. I can provide pictures if you like.
    Thanks for the info!
    Pics won't be necassary unless you want to show off your cutting skills.
    08-17-10 10:56 AM
    If it's not too much trouble, I wouldn't mind seeing pics! I am getting my bold next week (replacing my tour) and I want to get the OB commuter to replace my innocase and I definitely want to keep using my seido cradle.

Thanks!
    08-17-10 07:28 PM
    Here is my handy work

08-19-10 09:57 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD