Hey all,

Whats the big difference between those 3? Any recommandation?

Sites-otterbox_us-Site

Cheers.
    08-17-11 07:33 AM
    I ordered the Commuter last night. My buddy has that one for his Torch and it's perfect. Not too big, and lots of protection.

I had the Defender on my Thunderbolt, and it was like carrying a brick.

I'm not a fan of the silicone, which is what the smallest one is I believe.
    08-17-11 07:39 AM
    You could compare them on Otterbox's site...but I'll start your orange for ya.

Impact - Waffled silicone skin offers excellent scratch/bump protection, includes screen protector. External buttons easy to use through the case. Ports accessible.

Commuter - Silicone skin under a separate plastic shell, provides extra shock protection, LOTS more scratch/bump protection, covers ports with movable plugs for easy access, external buttons easy to use through the case. Shell leaves silicone corners exposed for bouncy shock absorption in case of a drop. Includes screen protector. Adds very little bulk for the extra protection it provides. This is my case of choice for my 9700.

Defender - Hard plastic shell under a silicone skin, provides maximum rugged protection from drops, scratches, covers ports with movable plugs for easy access, includes a hard snap-in holster on a ratcheting belt clip which can also be used as a media-viewing stand! Adds a fair amount of bulk and thickness to the device, but with it starting out so thin, I think this Defender will add the least amount of objectionable bulk to any BlackBerry to date. Traditionally, Defenders included a complete hard plastic screen cover, but as this is a touchscreen device, it now includes the same high-quality adhesive screen protector as the other models.

Otterbox has superlative customer service and backs their product implicitly.
    08-17-11 08:38 AM
    Otterbox has superlative customer service and backs their product implicitly.
    This.

My S2 Otterbox defender case broke and I emailed OB. The next day, I had an email back from a Customer Service Otter and I had a new Otterbox on its way to my house, free of charge.

My Curve case also broke and I got a free replacement for that one too. Otterboxes are expensive, but they are worth the money.
    08-17-11 09:00 AM
    I wouldn't recommend a commuter, if you want proper good protection the defender is a good choice I haven't heard anything on the impact before though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 09:31 AM
    I wouldn't recommend a commuter, if you want proper good protection the defender is a good choice I haven't heard anything on the impact before though.

Depends on the level of protection you want/need. The Commuter is perfect for me; just the right blend of solid protection, ease of use, and not too much bulk. Makes my 9700 just the right size in my hand without feeling like a brick. My 9700 looks like the day I bought it, literally. Not a scratch, chip, or peel. The Commuter has nary a scuff on it despite at least 3 drops on concrete. I've used the Commuter/OEM 9000 holster combo for the life of this device. If I were to sell them right now, I would rate them 10/10.
    08-17-11 09:41 AM
    yea defender is over kill for an everyday person (only good if they are in construction or something like that)

just ordered me a commuter off amazon for $20
    08-17-11 10:07 AM
    Thanks all.
    08-17-11 12:25 PM
    i tend to go with the commuter.
    08-17-11 12:39 PM
    I got the commuter from P-Mall yesterday. There is a Telus store that lets you take them out of the box and check them out for yourself. They don't have the impact, but they have the commuter and defender. The defender in my opinion was WAY too big. Commuter is perfect. Keep in mind if you are one of those guys who loves doing battery pulls, these cases might not be for you as they aren't the easiest to take on and off.
    08-17-11 01:38 PM
    I got the commuter from P-Mall yesterday. There is a Telus store that lets you take them out of the box and check them out for yourself. They don't have the impact, but they have the commuter and defender. The defender in my opinion was WAY too big. Commuter is perfect. Keep in mind if you are one of those guys who loves doing battery pulls, these cases might not be for you as they aren't the easiest to take on and off.
    I can do a full physical battery pull in my sleep with the Commuter. In fact, I remove it nightly to put my BB on the charging pod. Still fits snug and true. For more frequent reboots I just use the 3-finger salute.
    hardslog likes this.
    08-17-11 02:13 PM

I like the Defender ALOT, but its too bulky. I like the fact that I still get great protection with the commuter but it doesn't add all the bulk like my defender does.

Btw, I had both with my 9780.
    08-17-11 02:15 PM
    With the otterbox case on my 9700, it use to add a lot of bulk to the phone. I appreciated it because I dropped my phone a couple times and no scratches or damages, but too bulky. I was thinking about buying one for my 9900, but I would hate to have all that bulk on this thin and beautiful device. Soo I looked around and found an amazing case, just like an otterbox but thinner and much better looking/form factor. Some pictures below this post. This case only cost me 16 bucks compared to the 40+ dollars I'd spend on the otterbox cases. I'd say go around your mall and ask for cases and accessories you can find them cheap like I did.
    Last edited by vsharm01; 08-17-11 at 03:12 PM.
    08-17-11 03:09 PM
    Commuter case was awesome for my storm 2 I would totally recommend the commuter line
    08-17-11 03:13 PM
    I recieved the 'impact' case today. A step up from the protection of a 'basic' gel or similar case. en-cased in the 'impact' the 9930 is about the same thickness as my old Tour without a case. Came with a screen protector, which was nice. This is my first touch-screen and I like having the screen protector. it doesn't seem to interphere with the touch sensativity.
    08-17-11 03:48 PM
    I have had otterboxes on all my blackberry's my favorite is the commuter series, i have had on the 9630 Tour , my Playbook , my 9650 Bold and all 3 are in the mail for my 9930 as i write this so i have it on sunday when Sprint launches ...

The Defender is a little bulky but if your in the field of where your need the best protection then that's the case ... if you want a case to go in your pocket and is smooth taking in and out with solid protection then Commuter is the case ... I use the Impact series just for lounging around the house ...

Hope this helps
    08-17-11 07:07 PM
    I put an Impact on my Dell Streak, but wasn't happy with the floppy feel. Then went to Commuter and LOVE the feel!

If I was ordering a case; Commuter.
    08-17-11 07:17 PM
    Great posts everyone.

Is there a way to clip on your belt somehow a commuter case?
    08-17-11 07:43 PM
    yea defender is over kill for an everyday person (only good if they are in construction or something like that)

just ordered me a commuter off amazon for $20
    Or, only good for:
    A wife who destroys 500 dollar phones like nothing
    A cyclist, runner, or anyone who needs to exercise while staying available
    People who enjoy being outdoors
    Truck drivers
    Clumsy people
    Motorcyclists
    Or, you're like me...Every blackberry device since the 7000 series have been dainty and tiny. The Otterbox Defender makes them feel, at least, like im not holding a microscopic little toy that will fall apart if dropped once.
    Now comes the best part....my opinion lol
    I cant understand why anyone like me would give a rats behind how sexy, cool or awesome their phone looks (at least men anyway). I like carrying a chunky device, makes typing a lot easier. Makes handling the phone very stable and less likely to fly out of my hands.
    If I go out to dinner, or somewhere where I KNOW will be sterile (IE: anywhere I dont work or play) then I will go naked.....MAYBE.

BTW: this 9930 kicks major azz
    08-17-11 08:42 PM

Do you have an Otterbox case or are you just trolling here? Sounds to me like you DON'T have one of either the Commuter or the Defender. I have Commuter cases on my 9780 and 9700's. Been dropped many times on concrete and other hard surfaces, without even a scratch on the case, leave alone the phone. Would you like me to post a high def picture of my 1-year old Commuter case on one of my Bold's for you? Do you even know why one wouldn't want to use a Defender case over the Commuter? Wow...
    08-17-11 08:47 PM
    Does anyone know if this adds a "lip" around the front of the phone, especially by the keyboard?thanks.
    08-17-11 08:48 PM
    Just takes a few days of break in on the case and some seat time. Then you'll be taking them off and putting them on in under 10 seconds combined, even with placing the USB and headset tabs! I pull mine every day!
    hardslog likes this.
    08-17-11 08:51 PM
    As for a "lip" around the front of phone--

I can say that the 'impact' does have a raised lip:

of about 6 milimeters around the 3 sides of the screen

and about 3 milimeters around the 3 sides of the keyboard.

All measurements are approximate. And based on an American's understanding of the metric system.

the lips would usually keep the screen and/or keyboard from stiking the ground in the event of a drop.

I haven't noticed any interpherance with typing because of the lip.
    08-18-11 11:46 AM
    Ok, thank you!

08-18-11 12:31 PM
    This is how I managed to get my 9900 with Commuter case onto my belt, I crazy glued this onto the back of the Commuter: Amazon.com: Krusell Multidapt Phoneholdic Kit, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories. Works like a charm so far! Of course, it does add that black plastic stud to the back of the case, but I'll take that trade off be able to keep it on my belt without having to always carry around a holster...
    webadpro likes this.
    08-19-11 10:30 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD