--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about getting one for my pearl . Been researching them online and reading posts here and I'm getting mixed signals .

So those of you that actually have an otterbox on your BB..... are they all they're said to be?

Read about a few magnet issues ...has that been cleared up?

And seen some complaints about the rubberized skin that holds the case together falling off . Is that the exception rather than the norm?

I'm in construction and the otterbox seems like exactly what I need ...but at $50 I want to hear from my fellow crackberrians as to whether the otterbox is truly the ultimate in berry cases / protection .... or just one more over hyped product
    12-12-08 07:54 PM
    I have the otterbox on my Pearl and my Curve. The sleeper magnet works fine on the Pearl. The case is not hype. It's tough as ****. I have never had a problem with the rubberized skin. I have had the otterbox on my Pearl for over a year with no complaints.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 08:18 PM
    Thanks muchly for the reply and info Cain
    12-12-08 08:22 PM
    No problem, Yankez. The otterbox is the best case out there to protect your device. It does add quite a bit of bulk and it's built for protection; not for bling. . I highly reccomend this case for anyone that actually "works for a living". My BB's would never have survived at work without it.

12-12-08 08:28 PM
    I highly reccomend this case for anyone that actually "works for a living".
    lolol

Not looking for "bling" . I want a case that assures me when I hang up my tool belt at the end of the day , my berry is still in working ( and scratchfree) condition that it was at the beginning of the day .

I'm sceptical because of the old cliche " if it sounds to good to be true..."

Is the case hard to remove in the event a battery pull is needed ? And is the media card slot accessible with the case on?
    12-12-08 08:35 PM
    I install insulation for a living, and and the Otterbox is completely worth it. Climbing through attics, crawlspaces, and up & down ladders all day, and never a problem.

As far as a battery pull, it's a pain to do - but look into this app as a solution -

QuickPull - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

And I'm pretty sure you might be out of luck on the Media Card removal.
    12-12-08 08:46 PM
    Lol. It's not to good to be true. The case is not hard to remove, but the plastic screen protector can be a pain. It's hard to get all the bubbles out but it's not impossible. Instead of a battery pull to free up memory I use the Quick Pull app. It's free and it does the same thing as a battery pull. The media card is not accessible. It is completely covered by the case. You have to take the rubber covering off and unsnap the plastic case to get to the media card or to do a battery pull. It's inconvenient, but for the protection the case offers, it's worth it.

12-12-08 08:52 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on Quickpull , Chaz . Adding it to my BB now .

As for the media card...so be it . With a broken BB the card access is trivial... so the case is far more important
    12-12-08 08:52 PM
    I'm a wallpaper contractor and have a 8130 in an Otterbox case. I am up and down ladders, in and out of the truck and around glue and water all day. I pulled mine out the other day just to give it a good cleaning and after 7months my BB looks just like new. The clear skin has come loose from the keyboard so I contacted OB today and they are sending me another free of charge. It will make your pearl about the same size as a curve but to me it's about the right size for me. You can also take it out of the holster and put it in your pocket without worrying about it getting scratched up.I think it's the best money you can spend if you really want it protected. as far as the battery pull I just installed "Soft Reset" its free and works flawlessly.
    Now for "the rest of the story". When I took mine out of the OB I decided to leave it out for my trip to Maui this week. On the first day a wave splashed on me and got a tiny amount of water on the keyboard and now it won't work!
    If it had been in the OB that amount of water would never have hurt it .
    Don't let it happen to you order today!
    Tim
    Last edited by wallpaperguy; 12-12-08 at 08:58 PM.
    12-12-08 08:55 PM
    Lol. It's inconvenient, but for the protection the case offers, it's worth it.

Definitely .

Think I'm gonna buy the case . Between you and Chaz , you both sold me on it.

You should call Otterbox for a commision
    12-12-08 08:55 PM
    I am an electrical contractor and I will not use anything else now.
    I think I sold three of them today for different phones on the job I was on.

I really like the Holster and clip as I can stick it on my pouch facing forward and I have not had it "launch" yet like all the other ones I have used through the years.

I also like that the phone is exactly as protected out of the holster as it is while in the holster.

I have dropped mine a few times and today it landed in a huge pile of planer shavings(new doors) and I just blew them off.

There really is no better case for the trades and I have tried most of them.

Ed
    12-12-08 08:56 PM
    Now for "the rest of the story". When I took mine out of the OB I decided to leave it out for my trip to Maui this week. On the first day a wave splashed on me and got a tiny amount of water on the keyboard and now it won't work!
    If it had been in the OB that amount of water would never have hurt it .
    Don't let it happen to you order today!
    Tim
    I read your post about that happening . I feel for you , Tim . Hopefully you do the rice technique and your BB survives
    12-12-08 08:58 PM
    Lol. I have recommended this case to a lot of people that work in the type of jobs that you, me and Chaz do. I think you will be very happy with it. .

12-12-08 09:00 PM

I have dropped mine a few times and today it landed in a huge pile of planer shavings(new doors) and I just blew them off.

Ed
    Does the case seal out the dust pretty well ?

I'm a finishing carpenter and MDF dust is worse than drywall dust for getting everywhere . I have a clear plastic case on my pearl now and there's dust under the screen protector...so the seal on it sucks
    12-12-08 09:01 PM

I'm a finishing carpenter and MDF dust is worse than drywall dust for getting everywhere . I have a clear plastic case on my pearl now and there's dust under the screen protector...so the seal on it sucks
    Oh yeah. I have been covered in plastic dust from head to toe and I have never gotten any under my screen. The screen protector completely seals off the screen and keyboard.

12-12-08 09:06 PM
    The screen protector completely seals off the screen and keyboard.

Hook , line and sinker . Definitely getting one now . Sawdust has been the downfall of a few of my phones .

Thanks Cain...you've been a huge help. Cheers to you
    12-12-08 09:09 PM

I have found that as long as you use the membrane it seals very well.
    I was in a place today where I couldn't breathe between the Mahogany doors being installed and the beams being laquered and the phone looks new tonight,I looked.

I was a little reluctant to use the compressor to blow mine clean thinking I might force dust in instead of off.
    It turned out fine,I blew from the top down and it is fine.

Another great feature is that the hard shell of the Otterbox helps protect the phone from smashing as there are frequent opportunities during the day to happen.

It also makes a much better grip for me and I use it while wearing gloves or not,it just has some purchase in your hand from the rubber skin,nice if you have been sanding or something and your hands are vibrating.
    12-12-08 09:10 PM
    Hook , line and sinker . Definitely getting one now . Sawdust has been the downfall of a few of my phones .

Thanks Cain...you've been a huge help. Cheers to you
    You're welcome, Yankez. .

12-12-08 09:15 PM
    I was in a place today where I couldn't breathe between the Mahogany doors being installed and the beams being laquered .
    Were they doing initial install on the doors or re- hanging on the hinges after the painter had stained them? reason I ask is because if it was initial install the painter should be hung for lacquering with all the dust flying around.

Sorry...hazard of the job...it made me cringe lol
    12-12-08 09:20 PM
    Case now bought and paid for thru the crackberry store...delivery on Tuesday
    12-12-08 10:47 PM
    Good decision, Yankez.
    12-12-08 10:49 PM
    Congrats Yankez. You just bought the toughest BB case on the market.

12-12-08 10:51 PM
    The pros outwieghed the cons by around 50 to nothing . How could I not get it

12-12-08 10:51 PM
    Congrats Yankez. You just bought the toughest BB case on the market.

Does that mean if some thug is hassling me on the street I can let my berry kick his a##?

12-12-08 10:53 PM
    D@mn right Lol

12-12-08 10:56 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD