man - i was afraid i'd have to wait for my beloved defender case once i got my 9650 but jokes on me.. case is available b4 phone is (verizon)
    05-21-10 02:57 PM
    Got one last night.... Pretty nice and it looks bomb proof!
    05-21-10 03:05 PM
    Where did you get it from in-person? I just saw it on the website, and THANK GOD it uses the normal friction-fit vertical insert into the holster (not the 'crap, I broke the arm' way the 9700 case does).
    05-21-10 03:31 PM
    Got a link to the Otterbox?
    05-21-10 04:02 PM
    Got a link to the Otterbox?
    Uh.... When in doubt, go with We've Got Technology Covered // OtterBox.com
    05-21-10 04:39 PM
    looks like good cases, but the Holster sucks on those.. nothing holds the phone into place in that Holster and the phone can easily slip out not knowing.
    05-21-10 04:44 PM
    its under blackberry BOLD cases.. lol
    05-21-10 04:45 PM
    50.00 bucks WOW! That seems a little steep for a case. And it doesnt even look that good. LOL!
    05-21-10 04:47 PM
    looks like good cases, but the Holster sucks on those.. nothing holds the phone into place in that Holster and the phone can easily slip out not knowing.
    nooo.. i have the defender for my tour and it clicks it tightly to the holster, no way its falling out. i dont use the holster tho.. i like to put the defender case on and carry it in my back jeans pocket.
    05-21-10 04:50 PM
    50.00 bucks WOW! That seems a little steep for a case. And it doesnt even look that good. LOL!
    if you work in construction like me.. it the only way to go. GREAT GREAT case.
    05-21-10 04:51 PM
    nooo.. i have the defender for my tour and it clicks it tightly to the holster, no way its falling out. i dont use the holster tho.. i like to put the defender case on and carry it in my back jeans pocket.
    trust me, I have the Tour outer box already.. I work in construction and almost lost the phone as it slipped out of its holster. Its a known problem with those holsters and Kevin even made a video on it a couple weeks ago on this fourm showing how easily the phones slip out of its Holster when he was comparing the outerbox against the new Seidio rugged case. The case is way to big to fit into my pockets, so I need the Hoster, but do not trust that Holster at all as nothign holds them in
    05-21-10 05:00 PM
    Yeah, that is a little steep. Just wait and eventually you can get one for cheap on ebay. I bought the Commuter Case for my Tour from ebay, paid $21.
    05-21-10 05:00 PM
    I agree as well, I had the Defender on my 8350i, and wouldn't do my job without it!

Work has me too busy to go out searching for one - I just ordered it from the site...
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-21-10 05:02 PM
    trust me, I have the Tour outer box already.. I work in construction and almost lost the phone as it slipped out of its holster. Its a known problem with those holsters and Kevin even made a video on it a couple weeks ago on this fourm showing how easily the phones slip out of its Holster when he was comparing the outerbox against the new Seidio rugged case. The case is way to big to fit into my pockets, so I need the Hoster, but do not trust that Holster at all as nothign holds them in
    thats strange ..mine is very secure. it actually takes quite a firm tug to pull it out. i wonder if there's older/newer models which have gone through revisions. your putting it in screen side facing in right?
    05-21-10 05:04 PM
    Yeah, that is a little steep. Just wait and eventually you can get one for cheap on ebay. I bought the Commuter Case for my Tour from ebay, paid $21.
    I just bought the casemate Gelli case for the 9650 for 18.00 delivered. Nice case and it should still fit in the leather holster.
    05-21-10 05:58 PM
    my year and a half old 8350i still looks new from using the otterbox, and between work and the fd, that thing took a beating. the sprint store i got the bold from had them hanging right next to the phone. actualy i hope it breaks in a little because it seems like i almost need 2 hands to get it out of the holster. it might be a redesign. but along with that, i just got back from radioshack, i needed to get new tips for the igo car chargers, and you do need to trim a small sliver away from the charge port to make them work. little PIA, but could be worse
    05-21-10 07:39 PM
    Where did you get it from in-person? I just saw it on the website, and THANK GOD it uses the normal friction-fit vertical insert into the holster (not the 'crap, I broke the arm' way the 9700 case does).

Sprint store
    05-21-10 09:50 PM
    Like I mentioned earlier, I just gave-in and ordered it from them direct.

For the last year I've carried my work-issued 8310 & my own 8350i in Otterboxes, and have not had one instance of the phone coming out of the holsters. I'm a big guy (6'4") in the commercial alarm business, and I love the 'heft' the cases give the unit when I hold them (this new Bold almost feels too 'dainty' in my hands - I'm afraid I'm gonna break it!).
    05-21-10 10:10 PM
    +1 on the otterbox defender case. You can spend $50 on a case once or $50/$100 on an insurance deductible every time your phone breaks. I'd rather have the case and not the downtime. If you decided to sell your phone down the road they come out still looking like brand new.

I believe the cases for the older models did slip. The defender cases for the newer models are designed different, and seem to be very secure.

Can anyone that has the 9650 and the Defender case tell me if the keyboard membrane covers the trackpad or does it leave a cut out for it.
    05-22-10 11:27 AM
    It has a cut out

05-22-10 11:30 AM
    I upgraded my wife's Tour to a Bold last night at a Sprint Store. Clerk said it was Customer Appreciation Weekend and that I could get 40-50% off accessories. I decided to get the Otter Box for my Bold. After he installed it for me, I decided it was just way too huge for me to use. It added too much bulk for my purposes. I can see how this case is probably essential for users in harsh environments (construction, etc). But for a simple office jockey like myself, I thought it was overkill. Very cool and well designed, but overkill for me.

It's too bad, because I could have had this $50 case for $25!!

I've got an Innocase II Surface that I bought for my Tour. I'll stick with that for now. Have to Dremel it out a bit for the USB port, but it'll work,

-- Frank
    05-22-10 11:44 AM
    So...I have seen an otter box defender case. And I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the defender and the commuter? I understand the "impact" case is more like a silicone skin. BUt does anyone have experience with the commuter? I was really wondering how much thicker the defender is and if the commuter is a good case and maybe not as bulky as the defender?

Thoughts?

-db
    05-22-10 01:13 PM
    So...I have seen an otter box defender case. And I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the defender and the commuter? I understand the "impact" case is more like a silicone skin. BUt does anyone have experience with the commuter? I was really wondering how much thicker the defender is and if the commuter is a good case and maybe not as bulky as the defender?

Thoughts?

-db
    I'm curious to know this as well. I want as protective of a case without the bulk and ugliness of the Defender. I'm looking at the Commuter and this case instead:

Case-Mate BlackBerry Bold 9650 Hybrid Tough Cases (Case-Mate BB9650HY), BlackBerry Bold 9650 Cases, Holsters, Skins, and Accessories in Premium Leather

Anyone have any experience or can recommend either one? I want the lightest/slimmest possible case with decent protection.
    Last edited by Doc Z; 05-24-10 at 01:36 AM.
    05-24-10 01:34 AM
    Is that better than the Seidio Innocase II Surface?

man - i was afraid i'd have to wait for my beloved defender case once i got my 9650 but jokes on me.. case is available b4 phone is (verizon)
    05-24-10 05:58 AM

Thoughts?

-db
    i've owned both. the commuter is really nice - it has the hard plastic OVER the soft silicone so it slides easily in and out of pocket. it will protect the phone from a drop for sure. the screen protection comes from a common stick-on protector, and the keyboard is exposed. this case does not add much bulk. HOWEVER for me, because i like to have my phone with me at work on the construction site - I need the defender. with the defender the screen and camera are protected with a hard clear plastic (no adhesive) there is a thin rubber membrane which covers the keyboard and thin cloth that covers the speakers and earpiece... so NOTHING can get at the phone (dust, dirt, etc.,) with all this protection its suprising to find that the phone still functions great - I can throw it right in my pocket with no worries about coins or keys in my pocket.
    05-24-10 07:40 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD