Don't get excited- RIM is still working on it- but they do plan to fix it. Here is the latest email I received (they are keeping me posted every so often):

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support regarding the difficulty you have been experiencing with ringtones on your BlackBerry smartphone.

This issue is still under investigation. It should be corrected in a future release of the device software. I will continue to monitor this issue and periodically provide you with updates.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us."

Sincerely,

<name blanked out by me>
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    10-17-10 02:10 PM
    Thanks for the update. I too am one of the afflicted, and I too am getting mighty tired of the constant battery pulls. Its not the mechanics of the reset that trIes my patience-its the anxiety and uncertainty of not knowing whether the alerts are working.
    Before I upgraded, I had my Bold perfectly set up-truly "set it and forget it" and for two years, it never let me down, not once. I want this level of comfort back, please.
    I'd sure appreciate your passing this on to your contact at RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-10 07:59 PM
    Flightattorney,

There's no need to pass it on- they know it's not just me having this problem. You may be better off opening a ticket with them yourself (the more direct complaints, the better). I accomplished this level of support by going through my carrier first and letting them forward me to RIM tech support as a 2nd-level tech support issue. After they couldn't fix it, I asked them to leave the ticket open. Support areas HATE open tickets, so the more that are open for one issue, the faster it should get fixed.
    10-18-10 05:44 AM
    I understand the complaints you guys are putting in to RIM, and I think it is a great idea to let them know and keep them on their toes. But for now until they release a new OS, why don't you downgrade your software to .681 or .771? I'm running .771 and can confirm it is at the very least just as good as .822, without any of the negative issues.
    10-18-10 07:50 AM
    Re the downgrade-I havent done it due to sheer inertia and sloth. Its a fantastically complicated process involving wipes, shrinks, searches, registry cleans, multiple downloads, backups, uninstalls, reinstalls, hassling with installation of apps, etc, etc. I naturally assumed ATT and RIM would just fix this obvious problem and save me the trouble.
    I should also explain that I'm really not much of a BB hobbyist. To me, my BB is just another tool in the box, like a hammer. I expect it to work without thinking much about it or performing brain surgery on its little circuits. I think a lot of people have the same idea about their phones.
    If RIM continues to ignore this 9000 OS problem for another week or two, I'll conclude the Bold is an orphan and I'll take my ball and go home, by which I mean an Android is looming large in my future. San Francisco is getting 4G soon, anyway.
    10-18-10 11:18 AM
    Re the downgrade-I havent done it due to sheer inertia and sloth. Its a fantastically complicated process involving wipes, shrinks, searches, registry cleans, multiple downloads, backups, uninstalls, reinstalls, hassling with installation of apps, etc, etc. I naturally assumed ATT and RIM would just fix this obvious problem and save me the trouble.

Without being too pedantic, the process is the exact same as upgarding (no ened to wipe, shrink, adjust registry, etc). The only difference is when you're in the Loader, when the screen comes up regarding the on board Apps on your berry, just click the bottom (second) option saying to use desktop software to install compatible software.

It will be the same amount of work to do when RIM/AT&T release an "updated" .822 OS. Might as well save you the hassle of using a bugged OS right now.
    10-18-10 12:31 PM
    Mike-Thanks for the encouragement, but little bits of .822 seem to stick in the computer or the BB and prevent the downgrade absent all the other work. There's an exhaustive article here on CB somewhere about the problem. All I know is that I cant load .681, even after uninstalling the .822 loader and reinstalling .681 on the computer. As I said, the "why" doesnt interest me as much as the "how" in this instance, and based on what I see so far, the long, elaborate download procedure seems to be the only way. By contrast, a battery pull, at which I am a past master by now, twice a day is much less daunting. But I appreciate your input.
    10-18-10 02:44 PM
    Ok we all understand that .822 suffers from the silent ringer problem. Has anyone tried any of the hybrids os's and were they successful in getting around the problem? Please post which ones work..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD